CairnTalk

cataracts

John Mancine

Hi everybody, Minnie has cataracts, for quite a while, but it seems to have escalated since operation for tumor.  Does anyone know of any treatment other than surgery? 

Awe poor Minnie, however, what gttd says above is correct, dogs do adapt very well when they loose their eyesight.  I think it's us humans that have the hardest time with it and feel we should empathize with our pups.

My Shadow had cataract surgery at age 11.  It worked very well.  A year or so later he was diagnosed with diabetes.

He still survived and thrived (mostly) for almost three more years.

If you think Minnie can handle it, I recommend the choice.

Tara

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

It's remarkable how dogs handle blindness. We had a blind JRT and we moved house during this time. One trip round the new house and she knew where everything was. You would never know she was blind until you saw her eyes.

It's remarkable how dogs handle blindness. We had a blind JRT and we moved house during this time. One trip round the new house and she knew where everything was. You would never know she was blind until you saw her eyes.

I support this choice as well.  It has to be right for you and Minnie.

Max and Nelly

Murphy was diagnosed with a mature cataract in his right eye yesterday. Right now we are treating it with drops. The vet told me there is a test to determine if vision would be restored if the cataract was removed. I would recommend that test before surgery is considered.

• 3 years later...
Guest dog person

I know this is an old post but I was hoping to hear some success stories about cataract surgery.    My poodle mix is scheduled for the surgery on her remaining eye.   My cairn bit her in the face so she lost her other eye that had a little vision left.

She is occasionally bumping into walls and unable to navigate steps, otherwise she is happy and doing well.     

She gets around the house and yard fairly well.

She's going for the pre-surgical test (mentioned above)  ophthalmologist does not anticipate problems.

I have the surgery scheduled but I am a little worried.   I don't think she will adjust to her current level of visual loss.  She is blind.

PS:  The cairn has been on his best behavior and the precautions I have been taking have been effective.  He is being watched very closely and always will be.    She shows no fear of him.

Thanks in advance

Edited by dog person

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dog person

Update:

Ten days post-op, complications from the get go, extra night in ICU, then inflammation (uveitis), all successfully treated with antibiotics, prednisone and eye drops (so far).  Now another thing developed and could occur again, some spider web stuff (intraocular fibrin a known post-op complication) that had to be blasted out with an injection to the eye, more follow-ups to come.  Maybe lifelong.  Also, some of the eye drops are rather expensive and may be required indefinitely.

She definitely has her vision back, so fingers crossed.

Not sure I would ever have this done to another dog.  I could never afford it again anyway.

If you are considering cataract surgery for your pet, know that it is VERY EXPENSIVE and complications can occur.

Edited by dog person

I appreciate your sharing the experience. The ever-widening range of options we have for our dogs is somewhat bewildering to me, especially in terms of what is possible and what is advisable. So many circumstances play into these decisions and the factors can be different at different times, for different dogs, for different people, in different environments, and so on. Information such as this helps contextualize these things. Thanks.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks for sharing. It is hard to know the best path to go to help our cairns and other doggie friends. The more information we can share on our experiences the more help we have when making our own decisions - never easy.

Hoping all goes well for your little one.

My Shadow had successful cataract surgery back in the 1990's.  It was so rewarding the first time, after the surgery, I saw him chase a butterfly.

Max and Nelly

Guest dog person

Thanks, yes I do see that her vision has returned!    I'm a little worried because the ophthalmologist wants me to come back for a 3rd recheck ($) next week.     Four days after her 2nd recheck and fibrin removal, to make matters worse the dr is going on vacation and expects me to drive a long distance to another clinic.  As of yesterday her eye was clear and all looks well.   I am scheduled to see this dr in 2 weeks anyway, isn't that good enough?   Oh, and if the fibrin is not removed this dr says glaucoma could develop.    The dr tells me the fibrin might return or it might not.....

She is on a multitude of eye drops, one of them costs $127.   

I am cautiously optimistic that things will work out,  but I am seriously considering transferring her care to another ophthalmologist for her continued care.    The cost has already far exceeded the original estimate, with no end in sight.

I'm going to talk to my regular vet next week when he's back, hopefully he can offer some guidance.

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person

On a positive note, she had her first long walk today (since this nightmare began) and enjoyed it.  I could tell she could see the curb and everything else.

Also, my regular vet was in today and he saw us for 10 minutes (no charge!) he listened to my concerns and was very supportive and helpful with advice and how to proceed with her care.    He thought she looked good too!

To be continued.......

Guest dog person

Update:

We saw the covering ophthalmologist today and all looks good!!!  No fibrin, no significant inflammation.

Edited by dog person