CairnTalk

Rescuing an adult cairn into a home with another adult cairn - questions!

Rawrkats

Hi Guys!

So I've been doing so much reading. I also reached out to Boo's original veterinarian.  She's no longer working where she used to, and is taking a break in between jobs, so It took a bit of detective work and a bit of Facebook stalking, but I've made contact with her and she's given me some advice and a referral to a pet dermatologist that taught her while she was in vet school. On top of the possibility of allergies ( most common ), She suggested to keep an eye out for a hormone imbalance, Hypothyroidism, and hyperadrenocorticism. More things i'm researching!

I created a Facebook page for Mojo and I've put his vet notes up from the Humane Society. I thought it would be best if everyone could read what the HS experienced during the month Mojo was there, and maybe help me figure out if i'm inflaming or repairing the damage.

Mojo's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mojo-the-Cairn/1569920723240027

My main concern right now is, according to the vet's notes, Mojo was making massive improvement while he was there. In the last 2 days since I've brought him home, he's been scratching and chewing his bald areas and licking his paws, even with benadryl. There is also a green discharge in one eye since last night ( the right I think ) and its starting to crust up. ( Its easier for me to remove when its crusty instead of gooey, best procedure ? ) He hasn't opened any spots up or made them bleed ( as far as I can see ), but he has made some spots red by chewing/scratching and I can tell he's in some pretty bad discomfort at times.

I picked up an e-collar and some Vetericyn today. I sprayed it on his bald spots and he seems to be doing ok with it, but there is still the little paw lick and belly lick here and there. I'm saving the e-collar torture for night time so I can get some sleep. I've spent the last two days with one eye open on the couch, trying to soothe him when he gets all crazy itchy.

Oh has anyone has any experience with a yeast infection? This description sounds really accurate, especially since I can detect an unpleasant odor near his butt ( not poopy, just 'stinky' ) and he has some blackened skin on his underbelly, the skin right on his butt next to his tail looks really thick, like he's got 'fat neck' syndrome, but on his butt. Thinning hair all over his front legs, but not as severe as back legs. He licks his paws pretty frequently and we did have a pretty humid summer this year. Not sure how long he was running solo, but the first half of October was still warm weather and August/September was just plain awful hot for the area. He has hair loss behind one hear from scratching it.

Chronic-itchy skin is almost always present with these yeast infections. Because of the scratching, the dog may further traumatize the skin spreading the infection. The yeast may be localized on the ear, muzzle, toes, anal area, or it may be generalized, covering most of the body. Dogs with the generalized form will often have an offensive smell and display oily, scaly skin. Dogs with localized muzzle infections may rub their face or have episodes of intensely scratching their face. Dogs with infections on their toes may lick their feet constantly. Hair loss, redness, hyperpigmentation (blackening of the skin), and thickening of the skin may also be present.

It says this yeast infection is just a symptom of an underlying issue.

Edited by Rawrkats

Hi guys,

Sorry for not posting sooner, weekends get real busy here!

Friday night I took mojo to the vet. News was less than pleasant, but I'm not discouraged. Mojo had dry eyes, an ear infection and yeast/bacterial skin infections. He's on a regimen now, ears and eye ointments, a steroid/Benadryl for itch and allergies, as well as the yeast and bacteria killers. By December he should be about done with this round of medications. He's already acting so much better, and more energetic. I'm really hoping that we can keep his itches down without meds after this so we can start the allergy testing.

Last night him and boo started playing super cute like, but it was bed time so they had to knock it off. The differences between the two are becoming more and more obvious each day. For example, Boo has never in his life, needed to seek out a water source in the house. Mojo knows immediately to hit the toilet bowl if his water bowl is empty. Gotta break that habit. He also hunts for his food. He's always hunting really. Boo hasn't ever hunted in his life. Going for walks is just plain comical right now. If I combine leashes or couple them, Boo will drag mojo at high speed all over the place. Mojo just wants to sniff out every trail and follow it. Points to mojo for being the more pleasant walker.

Mojo seems to be weaker or just under muscled compared to boo. He has a lot harder time jumping up on furniture, using stairs. I heard that could be a side effect from his vaccinations. I sure he will build up some strength. We go to the dog park a lot, and unless he's allergic to dogs and grass, I imagine we'll be going there quite a bit more now.

He's still glued to my side. I feel like the pied piper of cairns. As I walk through the house, I have a tappy toenail symphony clicking behind me.

• Like 4

sounds like poor mojo had a long period real neglect before he hit the shelter. it wasn't necessarily due to his former owners --they could have been absent or incapacitated for some reason, and he had to fend on his own. it sounds like the vets have decided to get serious about tackling his problems, so hope the more comprehensive approach will knock the thing down to life-sized. you're doing a great job. 

Wonderful to hear that Mojo is doing better!  He just needed a caring person like you to take charge and help him through his health issues.  He will repay you many times over for your generosity.

• Like 2

Have been wondering about little Mojo. Sounds like things are going to work out. Good the vet was thorough and on top of things. Mojo may take a while get strong muscles but with Boo to play with and walk with I'll bet by Spring he's strong and bouncy.

So pleased you brought him to your home!

• Like 2

Sounds like all the right measurements are being started to get this little guy back on track. You are an amazing person to take this on. He no doubt will repay you throughout the many years he plans on being right beside you. And how well Boo is taking this all in.

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

He's almost done with his meds, and he's been doing really great. Sometime this past week I had to take him back to the vet for tapeworms. That vet said that the presence of tapeworms means at some point the dog was flea infested and was chewing/swallowing them ( that is how tapeworms get into intestines - thru fleas that enter the intestinal tract ). From that, we can hope that the allergic reaction the dog had could've been from flea saliva, and not other environmental allergens.

He's still on his hypoallergenic food, and I'm still dosing him with the Temaril-P, simplicef, and Ketoconazole. He should be done by the end of the week, and hopefully after that, we will be able to tell if he's got persistent allergies. He has a checkup at the vet in 3 days so I should know more then.

I've also noticed that Mojo appears to be missing his almost off if not his entire soft undercoat. His skin is very visible through what hair he has on his belly  and legs. The only part the hair is thick enough to to not see clear down to his scalp is on the back of his neck/top of his back. When I look at Boo's hair, you can see his undercoat, so very thick. Is it normal that he should be missing so much of the undercoat? Is there a way to make it grow back or will that just happen after we get his allergies under control ?

[edit]

gone to the dogs - mojo's 'loss of hair' pattern seems to follow the diagram on that link you sent about atopy. They said a flea allergy has a different pattern but didn't show it. While he isn't missing hair on his face, it is considerably shorter than the rest of his hair, and very much not like Boo's.

If his itching comes back after the meds are done, I will be doing the skin test.

Edited by Rawrkats
  • Like 1

My experience is limited, so I can only partially address your question re undercoats. Some cairns, like Ruffy don't seem to have undercoats. Others can have very thin or fine undercoats. Due to this variation within the breed, comparing the undercoats of Boo and Mojo might not be very revealing. Also, most cairns have thicker coats on the tops of their necks and backs, so in that regard, Mojo seems typical.

It's reassuring to know that you are doing so much for Mojo. I'm keeping you in my thoughts in the hope that things work out for you and Mojo!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Also considering what he has gone through health wise and no doubt emotionally, it is going to take time before he is a hairy Cairn again.

I know Jock tended to have a much softer coat that some other Cairns I have met. Rosie although a Scottie, doesn't have much of a coarse coat either. So like Sanford mentioned, I think it must vary from dog to dog. But again given mojo's coat condition presently, I don't think at this moment you can even begin to wonder how his coat will turn out once it grows back. It's just going to take time, with good vet care and proper nutrition and as much love as he can soak up. And by the look of Boo monsters site, he is getting lots of that.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Agree. You just have to wait and see how his coat comes back. Meanwhile he looks like he's found a home and a cairn buddy. Loved the pics

• Like 1

OMG I just checked out the new pics on your site.  Too cute!  It almost brought tears to my eyes to see Mojo and Boo cuddling together in your lap.  How fantastic that Mojo has both a loving home and a great new buddy. :wub:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

15211_1585963394969093_72030323594324265

Been awhile since I've got to update you guys. I haven't even been keeping up with Facebook much. December is always a terrible month for me!

Mojo's doing fantastic. He's on no medications, but we're using Dermacton cream maybe once a day and on tiny spots ( haven't gotten to bathe with the bar yet ) and he's doing absolutely amazing. I think the itching is more something to do when bored ( habit now? ) because he's never 'attacked by the itches', its more like, 'I'm not doing anything, i think i'll chew my leg'. I'm able to ask him to stop scratching and chewing, after a couple requests/commands, he will stop completely, and go about his life ( attacking balls, socks, playing with Boo, whatever )

Has anyone ever had that? a dog that just... chewed and itched out of habit?

Boo is still warming up. He's warm a lot of the times, but I think he still wishes mojo would 'go home' like his other buddies do. I will find them cuddling each other ( its more that mojo came and laid on top of boo, and boo just didn't move ), and they play together at least 10x a day, and chase birds and squirrels together, and Mojo is never more than 2 feet behind Boo. But every now and then, Boo wants our laps to himself, even if he can't be in both at the same time. Doesn't like to share much of anything LOL. Laps, Balls, Ropes, Beds... Boo will whine if mojo is laying between either of our feet. Anywhere else is ok, but between our feet is a 'Boo Only' area, according to him.

• Like 6

Great photos… They really show what a tremendous difference one month can make! It's good to know that Mojo is able to be off all meds.

Although the residual itching may be minor, compared to what Mojo's been through, there might also be a simple remedy…On a few occasions, I have found that over-the-counter anti-itch sprays from the pet store have helped Ruffy when he seemed to go through (seasonal?) itching bouts. These products, like those sold for the same problem with humans, simply cool or numb the itchy area. It's an easy fix and so far, it has worked for us.

:thumbsup: Thumbs up and congrats on your great work with Mojo!!!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Rosie our Scotty randomly chews her feet. Never doing any damage thank goodness, but I think for her it's to do a lot with having nails that are past due trimming, plus licking the tops of her feet seem to sooth her. Her coat is great, shiny, no redness, no dandruff, and same as Mojo, when we tell her to stop, she does and gets on with what ever amuses her. There might be environmental issues with her as we are in such a cold climate and the house is shut tight, furnace running but out vet isn't concerned because her coat no skin look so good. I think a lot of this behaviour with her anyway, is habit.

Also our Edmonton climate is so dry in the winter, that when I take of clothing myself, the flaking dry skin is rather awful. My legs look like a lizards sometime.:(

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Despite our best efforts, nearly everyone in the house is dehydrated with chapped lips - and we drink water constantly! Winters get pretty dry up here, even if it rains a lot. Doesn't make much sense! The dogs like to go outside a lot more than I do, so they're probably even more wind-chapped and dried out. 

"I also put both dogs on Blue's LID duck mix, with extra omegas as well"

The dermatologist told me that the minute you open the bag the fish oil supplements dissipate significantly. That's why I prefer to give them the capsules, they just gulp them down.

My new favorite dog food, for a base, is Wysong. Even my old guy is doing better on it.

Good to know! Thank you ;)

The "before and after" pics of Boo are amazing.  You have worked wonders!

You asked if anyone ever  had a dog chew/lick out of habit.  Yes, I have!  We puzzled for months why Ziggy (our Silky Tzu) would sometimes lick his paw for nearly an hour.  We had our vet check it out and the vet found nothing.  I examined the paw, pads, between the pads, etc. with a lighted magnifying glass - nothing.  We watched him carefully for any sign of pain when walking or playing - nothing.  We finally came to the conclusion that it must be a self-soothing habit he had picked up in his previous life - which was apparently lived in a crate when he wasn't being shuttled between homes and the animal shelter.  Ziggy still does this occasionally (seems like he resorts to licking when he is bored or stressed) but it has definitely decreased in frequency.

• 2 months later...

I followed this story all the way from the initial thread. Boo and Mojo are so lucky to have you. Taking care of a "sick" dog is not easy and it requires a lot of work, not forgetting how stressful it can get. I admire and respect you for what you've done.Kudos to you!

• Like 1