CairnTalk

Who will take my cairns when I'm gone? (Topic started 8/14)

sanford

This topic was discussed back in August of this year and I just wanted to share a new piece of info I came across:

Some cairn rescue organizations online have a category called "rehoming". I contacted one of them today asking that they get back to me with information as to how the process works. I'm hoping this might be a route to a solution for some devoted cairn owners who might not have anyone to look after their cairns once they are gone.

I'll post results when I get a response.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

A lot of rescues do rehoming - the rescue Addie came from does. What form it takes can vary from rescue to rescue.

In the case of Addie's rescue, the owner (or whoever is in charge once they are gone) surrenders the Cairns to the rescue, where the Cairns are then assigned to foster homes while they wait for adoption. The Cairns waiting for adoption are placed on the rescue's website and interested forever homes can submit applications through the normal rescue application process. The rescue Addie came from doesn't have much of a distinction between "rehoming" (essentially owner surrender) and "rescue" (saving dogs from kill shelters, puppymills, or abuse situations) once the dog arrives at the rescue. The dogs' futures are very dependent upon there being available foster homes; it is a very sad truth that many rescues have to turn away dogs simply because they don't have room for them in foster homes. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

@Brad sorry if what I am about to say is a bad thing for the forum please delete if need be.

@ Sanford I went through Col Potter to get Prissy. They use Foster homes to home any Cairn that comes into their rescue, the Cairns that come into their organization are from shelters, puppy mills, and homes that can no longer keep their Cairn for what ever reason.

To become a foster or an adoptee, you have to submit an application that is very lengthy. You have to list references, the vet you use, and they check all of them,very thoroughly. If you list someone and they can't get hold of that person you are denied. You have to go through a home inspection and they check everything. They looked in my cabinets, checked my furniture, electrical cords, the list goes on and on. It took over a month to go through the process. I would recommend them to anyone that would need someone to look after their Cairn if something were to happen.

One story that was told to me is a woman that was older in years had no one to look after her Cairn. On her refrigerator she kept a large sheet of paper that said In case of my death my Cairn Terrier dog is to go to Col Potter Cairn Rescue, and she listed their phone number.   The people that found her dead called the number immediately, had it not been posted in an easy to see place the dog would have been placed in a local shelter. Just something to think about.

To become a foster or an adoptee, you have to submit an application that is very lengthy. You have to list references, the vet you use, and they check all of them,very thoroughly. If you list someone and they can't get hold of that person you are denied. You have to go through a home inspection and they check everything. They looked in my cabinets, checked my furniture, electrical cords, the list goes on and on. It took over a month to go through the process. I would recommend them to anyone that would need someone to look after their Cairn if something were to happen.

I agree with Lynn. I would recommend them as well. Re fostering or adopting, the thoroughness of the inspection depends on which volunteer you get. New volunteers might be over-zealous and seemingly intrusive. Experienced volunteers might appear to be more casual. Some potential adopters find that the process takes too long and that its too involved. Some get annoyed and go elsewhere. Many others have had great success with the vetted rescue adoptions. Luck and timing might also play a part.

But—back to the topic of "rehoming": As _whits_ says, "Lots of rescues do rehoming"—I found another one online that refers to rehoming as "Owner Surrender". Admittedly, the topic of "rehoming" or "surrender" makes me sad... trying to make the best of what can only be an unhappy situation... beloved pets left behind with no one to look after them, (except perhaps, a cairn rescue organization!). Nevertheless, this is an important topic and I posted in the hope that my new information might be of use to folks on this forum.

"On her refrigerator she kept a large sheet of paper that said In case of my death my Cairn Terrier dog is to go to Col Potter Cairn Rescue, and she listed their phone number". — Excellent idea, Lynn!  :thumbsup:

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!