CairnTalk

Ya know, it's not even officially winter yet

Dempsy's Mom

It has been crazy nuts around here.  We have 7" of snow, which is less than other areas.  I left Elsie home the day "it" was forecasted.  Otherwise she has been with me all harvest.  When I returned home that night after the snow, I let the dogs out.  Elsie ran out and ran back in.  Ran out and ran back in.  Then she decided that it was kinda fun and took a lap around the house.  Dempsy just stood in the doorway and looked out as if to say, "Ok.  So how long is this crap gonna hang around."  Demps says at age 5 he is to old for this white stuff and informs Elsie,  who is 4, that she will get sick of it too with age.

Cold and getting colder.  10 below this week.  So we have been taking lots of short breaks outside.  Wert you ask?  Well, the grumpy old fart is in the house.  He continues to growl at me and is the most unthankful critter I have ever come across, but I am kinda fond of him.  He isn't a very clean dog, so eventually he may have to go to the shop, but for now he is enjoying the company of the other animals and a safe warm spot in the house.

As far as the farming goes. Only 800 more acres of corn and we'll be done.  If you have any idea of what it is like to combine corn in snow banks .... well it is like a cold hell.  :devil:  For all you folks that deal with the cold - misery loves company.  For all you folks that live in the warmer climates, well ... I am happy for you, but you don't need to rub it in. :confused:

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I won't rub our Florida forecast in...tee hee!   :innocent:

I was wondering how badly you would be hit with the storm, Lori.  I hope the cold passes quickly and you can get some relief soon.  I also hope your combines are heated.

Stay warm!

The cold is making its way to us in Northern Illinois too.  At least we haven't had any snow yet, other than a few flurries.  Good lord, Lori, it has to be miserable combining corn under those conditions.  How long will that last 800 acres take?  

I agree with Demps.  Snow is fun when you're younger but the thrill can wear off fast.  

Hugs to you and all your furkids. :hug:  

..I can't imagine combining in that weather. Up here the crops have to pretty much be in by the end of September . If not, it's to late. That's what makes some years very expensive keeping a horse. A few years ago a bale of hay cost $10!

Is the corn for silage?

Message from Rosie:

Dempsey I can send down some of Jocks winter coats and boots. I have my own tartan one with matching red boots. Jocks are all blue and you will look good in them.

Stay warm

ROSIE

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Saw the weather forcast for you area - shivered just to read it. Hopefully temps will rise again soon. Kinda early for the big winter blast.

I always thought of cairns as a hearty breed that can deal with cold and snow, but when it gets as extreme as you describe, they have the smarts and common sense not to push it!... Good dogs!!!

Hang in there guys... Thinking warm(ing) thoughts for you all!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Played golf yesterday and last night the temps plummeted to 1 degree and all day today we had that cold, cold north wind blowing.  we have escaped the snow so far but wow, what a shocking turn around in our November.  Looks like the links season is over early this year.
The girls are ennervated with the cold temps and are wanting out (and then right back in) all the time.  They know their play snow is coming.

In good weather we get a little over 100 acres done a day - that is when we are hauling to grain bins. The grain bins are full. Now the temps will be hard on people and equipment.  But Jim's new brain storm is to bag the corn.  So we won't need to use trucks any longer and it is supposed to go faster.  This is our first time at bagging so it will be interesting. The grain will go from combine to grain cart to this big funnel that pushes the corn in this big bag.  It looks like a big worm out in the field when we are done.  At least that's what the neighbors look like. And then in February/March we get to go suck it out of the bags. ??? This morning it is 11 below with wind chill.  We try to keep the fuel warm by filling up the fuel truck and putting it in the shop. 

We did our silage pile already so all this corn is hauled to the ethanol plants for fuel and distillers grain.  Is it worth it to bag it when the prices are already so low and predicted lower?  Probably not, but this is what farmers do in case there is a bump in the market.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  The big wigs say that prices will continue to fall. Who knows.

I know Terrier Lover - prices for grain and hay were crazy high and now there crazy low.  Can't we just have a fair price?

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I think there must be a lot of heartbreak in farming, Lori. We got the snow here too, and I don't even like to shovel our walks...cannot imagine dealing with combining corn.

But shovel I must, because Steve had a knee replacement last Friday. He came home Saturday (really! They won't let you stay a decent time any more.) And the snow came Monday and the cold came Tuesday.

Oban loves this. I alternate between working on my pottery and making soup. He has never got go lick out so many bowls! Then he moves over to sit on Steve's lap...

He is quick with his business outdoors...thanks, fella! So we are making it through.

And now at least I am grateful I don't live on a farm. Funny how romantic it sounds so often in your posts!

Steve picked a great time for surgery. Hope you re-coop soon Steve so you can go shovel the sidewalk .... I think I would play it up a while longer too. :)  Little Oban is loving dads down time, loving mom waiting on them both hand and foot.  I can just hear them from the recliner -  "What's the soup today Mom?" Oban won't want it to end either.  Take good care of the boys Kathryn!

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Angus says - Thanks for all the extra soup for Oban. A cairn needs his strength when he's in nursing mode. Sitting on lap giving comfort while monitoring upright's needs takes it out of you.

• Like 4