CairnTalk

Daddy is home!

hheldorfer

My daddy - on whom the sun rises and sets - got home from the hospital today!  He had six discs fused in his neck (whatever that means) and he has to wear a neck brace, which is sort of like the "cone of shame".  But he's *back* and that's all that matters!  I was being a brave girl for my mommy the past few days but I missed daddy terribly.  I knew he'd come home, though.  He'd never, ever leave me.  

I will be busy with nursing duties for the next six weeks or so.  First on the agenda is getting him up and moving so I'll get my required number of walks per day.

Wish me luck!

Buffy

• Like 5

What a relief to have Daddy back Buffy. Maybe you can gently walk him out for trick or treat - well just treat really I guess. Hope all goes wellfor him. I know you will be the best nurse he could have - Angus

• Like 1

Buffy...you will have to explain this nursing stuff to me. I don't get it. But really glad that your daddy is home, I know it's scary and awful when your uprights are at the vet's. Woof, Gus

• Like 1

I feel bad for dad.  So glad that you are there to help nurse him back to health.  Exercise is a good thing and there is no better way than Buffy walks.  Good luck with dad as a patient.  You may have to be quite persistent with your nursing duties.  Keep us posted on his cooperation. :)

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I'm so glad your daddy is back home, Buffy!  I know you will make an excellent nurse and I know your brother Ziggy will be a big help, too! Make sure you take good care of your daddy and your mommy - she'll need extra cuddles as well. :)

• Like 1

You take good care of your daddy Buffy! A speedy recovery is going to happen if you sit by his side and keep him warm and give lots of kisses.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Glad your daddy is back home, Buffy!  I know you can nurse him back to good health...just go easy on him.  Wishing daddy a speedy recovery and do everything Nurse Buffy says.

• Like 1

Oh Buffy I'm so glad your daddy is back. When my mommy had to have back surgery I took my job as physical therapist very seriously. Make sure he walks you every day, and bark at him if he looks like he's spending you much time on the couch.

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

job. I had to be a good nurse to my mom when she had back surgery and I really helped he reover. Good luck to all of you and give your mom lots of hugs and kisses. Love Keira

Buffy, would you post pictures of yourself in your nurse uniform, please?  Oh, and glad your Daddy is back home!

Your Friends,  Packy & Kirby

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Buffy, would you post pictures of yourself in your nurse uniform, please?  Oh, and glad your Daddy is back home!

Would you like a photo in my starched white uniform or my more casual scrubs?    :P

• Like 3

Would you like a photo in my starched white uniform or my more casual scrubs?    :P

Before you take any pictures, I'll send Sassy over to do her make-up. You all know what an artist Sassy is when it comes to make-up. :whistle:

Edited by remltr
  • Like 3

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Buffy, I could use some pointers on this nursing business.  My dad is going into the hospital tomorrow for a knee replacement.  He is just going to be gone for 2 days, but I can visit him in the hospital! And then when he gets home, I have to be careful not to jump on him or to try to trip him up.  I know he will like throwing the ball for me so I can bring it back to him, but he won't be able to take me for walks for a few weeks. 

Mom says I have to be very calm, which will be very hard for me.  How are you managing this?  

Oban, the "calm" thing is difficult.  I try really, really hard to stay calm, not jump on daddy, etc. but sometimes I have to let loose.  Usually I pick a fight with Ziggy to get it out of my system.  You need to get a little brother you can pick on. :)

• Like 1

Definitely starched white with the little cap!  Woo hoo! 

Kirby and I get to be nurses, too, starting tomorrow.  Mom's having her gallbladder out and I'll be in charge of things while she's recuperating.  I lay right next to her in the recliner and if her hand is near, I give her a few licks once in a while.  She likes that.  I can sit there with her for hours and I will pass up going for walks and food to stay with her.  Kirby tries but he's too hyper to sit still for long.  He sits at her feet and will give her kisses, but that usually lasts 10 minutes at the most.  He's easily distracted.  Dad said unless I lose about a pound in the next day or so, Mom can't pick me up for a while.  He's the one who hasn't been following her directions on how much to feed me, so he can pick me up if she can't. 

Oban, you must be a lot like Kirby.  Just chase some squirrels from window to window all over the house, barkingyourfoolheadoff like he does and that should help run off some energy.  Try not to screech if your Dad is sleeping though. 

Your Friend,  Packy (& Kirby)

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Think all cairn nurses should post pics of themselves in uniform.

All nurses need new special chew toys to help them cope with these arduous duties.

Hoping all uprights recover soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cairns make excellent physical therapists. I can get you up and bending farther than know your body can do. I have reasonable rates too. One chewbone after a therapy session is payment in full and you can rest up for the next session. Glad that your daddy is home. He should be much better by now.      Malcolm.

• Like 1

I am happy to report that my daddy is doing very well, thanks in no small part to the regular therapy sessions I have been providing.  ("Get off the recliner - it's time for my dinner!", "Get out of bed - it's time for my walk!", "Are you blind??  Our water dish is empty!")  Ziggy has helped too.  He watches the clock to make sure we stay on time with all our activities.

Thanks to all of you for your "get well" comments.  Good luck to all you other Cairn nurses out there.  Feel free to write if you need advice.

Buffy

• Like 1