CairnTalk

Thought everything was going well

mom42terrificgirls

Callie loves our new baby, Finn. But now we've found out that Callie has been marking in the dining room. :(  We've even caught her doing it when we are home. And then Finn, of course, is going over and trying to mark on her mark. :( I guess it's belly bands for Callie, too, now. I'm so upset but I guess it could be worse. The potty grass was working for Callie and was expensive. Now she won't be able to use it.

I left them home today out, both of them for the day. Hope they get along okay. We've had Finn since August 20th. The whole point was for company for Callie. We can't keep him gated in the kitchen forever. 

Hopefully whatever statements they're making to each other can be worked out in the yard. Sounds like Callie is re-establishing her territory but I'm not sure about that thought. I don't know if it would help if you leave a blanket she's been laying on over the spot in the dining room? When my boy was a marker, he kept marking the same spot even when we cleaned the wood floor and put a new rug in the dining room. X_x Egad the smell was awful. I do not miss those pre-vet-visit days.

Just make sure that Callie doesn't have a urinary infection. Just a pee sample to the vet will check that.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Terrier lover, yeah, we already checked that out. No infection. Lupinegirl, never thought of the blanket idea. I will put her blanket there and see what happens! :) Surprisingly, we never smelled it. She just barely pees, like she does when she marks other dogs' poop on walks. But one tiny mark added up over time has created stains.

Think if I reprimand her for marking other dogs' poop outside that will help, too? Not sure. To me, that's part of being a dog, sniffing around and leaving a mark. Sometimes when Finn poops outside, Callie marks his poop, and then he turns around and walks back to mark on her mark. Kind of like when people have to have the last word.   :redflag:

• Like 1

I had a similar problem when we added Radar to the family, Bailey was 2 and started marking in the house.  He was claiming his rights in the pack...I think.  We went back to basic training and using the crate for the two of them.  He got the message eventually.  You just have to be presistant.

Well, we put her blanket there, and now she's marking on the blanket. :( Bought her a belly band and am not happy with it. It's more like a G-string. LOL The folks at bellybands.net told me to cut a sanitary napkin in half to make it fit but it still hangs over. Once my partner gets another job, we'll have the carpets done again and start over. Until then, I guess I'll put the extra potty patch there. Seems dumb since it's penny-sized marks, but they add up.