CairnTalk

Toto Trot 2014

bradl

CRCTC will post a summary article on its website in a week or so with all the details, but in the meantime here are a fews phone snaps and videos from this morning's Toto Trot. I think a good time was had by all and a few dollars raised for NORSAR

This way to the Toto Trot!

gallery_1_38_417913.jpg

It's good to make new friends

gallery_1_38_100582.jpg

This lady seemed popular. No doubt it was the cute dog.

gallery_1_38_169433.jpg

Off to see the wizard:

Long walks are thirsty work

gallery_1_38_1181990.jpg

Pin the tail on the Cairn

The Poop Scoop Challenge - an event we're always training for.

Nice auction item!

gallery_1_38_807651.jpg

• Like 6

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

OK, so when we have this event next year you shall all attend. :)  People go where people are, so Cairns should go where Cairns are. The more that come, the more who will come. And so it goes.

We had a very-friendly young man arrive by taxi. We thought, "maybe he lives downtown and doesn't need a car." Nope, he had apparently flown from New York to attend, bringing a cute and well-traveled red Cairn named Pablo. With that as precedent, there is simply no excuse not to make this the premier Cairn Walk in the world. (Why not aim high :P ) I think it can and should be done. 

See you next year :thumbsup:

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

It was good to see that most of these Cairns were not "heeling" on the walk - they look just like Pepper when she walks!  Up front and ready to go!!!  So cute!!!!

Pepper's Mom

Brad, even if we couldn't attend the event would it be possible to bid on the auction items and/or participate in a raffle?  We're all with you in spirit, if not in person.

That's very kind of you Helene.  The Toto Trot 2014 raffle and mailbox auction were concluded at the event itself, but it's still possible to support this year's Toto Trot by registering and choosing "My registration is a donation" during checkout.

We will be presenting the Toto Trot proceeds to a NORSAR representative at our next club meeting, October 7th. 

It was good to see that most of these Cairns were not "heeling" on the walk - they look just like Pepper when she walks!  Up front and ready to go!!!  So cute!!!!

Heh, sometimes it seems more like a race than a walk. Cairns all seem to want to be at the head of the pack :)

• Like 1

The Trot was headquartered at a local park: Evelyn M. Schiffler Memorial Park, 5495 SW Erickson Ave, Beaverton, OR 97005. The walk was about a mile  or so and went through local neighborhoods. 

Previous years it has been around Fort Vancouver.

Great fun!  We all want to go - I have an aunt close to Beaverton. Now I just have to get out of harvest. :confused:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Bradl... Thank you for your perfect timing in posting the hilarious video of the "non-heeling" cairn terriers! I forwarded it to friend who needed to be enlightened re this breed...

Ruffy and I had just returned from an all-morning walk with the (very smug) friend and his "World's Most Obedient Sheltie". More than several times he pointed out that Ruffy needed firm lessons in heeling. Finally, I told him that unlike some "biddable" breeds, cairns were gifted with the intelligence to be independent-minded and capable of making their own decisions!

I forwarded your video on to the Sheltie owner! :lol:

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I forwarded your video on to the Sheltie owner! :lol:

Sheltie Owner's response to bradl's video parade of non-heeling cairns all wanting to get to the front of the line:

"Off to see the wizard"  :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I have to stand up for obedience Cairns. They are indeed capable of heeling fantastically.  I know a Cairn who just earned THREE titles in one long weekend at Montgomery County this past weekend: a Beginners Novice BN (which includes heeling on lead), A Novice CD (which includes heeling both On and Off lead), and a Master Earthdog ME (which involves hunting cooperatively with another dog, two handlers, and a judge … all off lead). 

And one of the novice legs was a score of 194 and first place, where 170 is barely passing and 200 equals perfection from start to finish. 

That said, these things don't happen without work and dedication. (And a stubborn handler.)  And if Doogie had been at Toto Trot, he quite possibly would have moved out just like all the other dogs. When they're not on the clock, these dogs just want to party :P

post-3-0-73990400-1412628465_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Heh, none taken :lol:

I truly enjoy the natural rambunctious nature of Cairns, but I also believe that because of their high intelligence they can be really quite excellent in performance. But I have to admit, even when Stella is heeling like a champ I am almost *guaranteed* to hear laughter from the sidelines at some point. One of the things I love about her :wub:

• Like 2

I have to stand up for obedience Cairns. They are indeed capable of heeling fantastically. 

Just this afternoon, I was commiserating with a Scottie owner as both our (leashed) dogs were chasing squirrels in the park. We both agreed that our pooches could never, ever be off-leash. :nono:

He then told me of a cairn he sees off-leash regularly in Central Park, chasing after squirrels like a madman, and the cairn actually stops dead in his tracks mid-chase and returns to his owner when called! :huh: He was described as the most obedient, disciplined, well trained dog — ever!

So I guess I have to (reluctantly) agree with bradl, who is "standing up for obedience cairns", but I'll have to see that Central Park Cairn in action, with my own eyes — before I believe it! :whistle:

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!