CairnTalk

Buffy was attacked

hheldorfer

So glad a ticket is being written and this horrible incident is going on record. How are Buffy's wounds healing? Is she doing okay on walks?

One of the postal workers at my apartment complex told me something interesting. Addie was on her leash and unexpectedly jumped in the back of the postal worker's vehicle as we walked past. She was wagging her tail and begging for cuddles. I was apologizing to the postal worker for not keeping a better eye on Addie and she was standing really far away from Addie and said "It's okay, cause she's friendly, but if we get bit, we get fired." I thought she was joking, but she was very clear that she had been told that by her supervisor and seen it happen. All of the postal workers I've seen in my complex go very visibly out of their way to avoid all dogs here, even ones they know to be friendly. i get the impression that even though attacks aren't their fault, local USPS facilities are more than willing to fire the workers instead of paying out workers comp, assuming they won't have the means to fight back. 

Edited by _whits_

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

"It's okay, cause she's friendly, but if we get bit, we get fired." 

All of the postal workers I've seen in my complex go very visibly out of their way to avoid all dogs here, even ones they know to be friendly.

Holy Cow! Its getting really nuts out there.

Buffy was doing ok at last check. Is she still doing alright?

Buffy is fine.  She went to the dog park today and acted like her typical Cairn self.  I am amazed that she seems to have no fear of or aggression toward other dogs after the attack.  The only aftereffect we have noticed is that Ziggy now growls at big dogs - just a low grumble, as if he is suspicious of them.  

Many thanks to all of you for your good wishes.  

• Like 8

She's one tough little B, that's for sure. 

Just like her mummy! HEE!!

Maybe Ziggy is now the protector. He may be grumbling to alert Buffy to possible danger.

• Like 1

I read through this entire thread.  So glad to hear that Buffy is on the mend.  Any update on the owner of the dogs?  Have they paid your vet bill?

Nope - nothing has been received yet.  I told them I would give them 30 days before filing a claim in small claims court.  I really don't want to have to do that - it's more complicated than I thought - but I will follow through if necessary.

• 1 month later...

Now here is a twist. The owner of the attacking dogs is suing the owner of a dog who died in the attack for $1M. I had to read this article a coupe times to get my head wrapped around it.

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-sues-owners-dog-killed-her-pit-bulls-194920139.html

Edited by remltr

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

• 2 weeks later...

Today DH heard through the neighborhood grapevine that a second attack happened yesterday.  Again, it was a neighbor walking two smaller dogs and the Rott and Pit attacked.  I don't know any details other than the fact that the police were again called and charges were filed. 

I am definitely not *glad* this happened but it means that these dogs can now be considered for evaluation as "dangerous dogs" (per our city ordinances) and something may be done.

I'll try to find out more over the long weekend.

Hopefully the dogs will be put down. And the owners shipped to a deserted island somewhere where its very cold. :devil:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Again? Wow. Those dogs need to be removed which means they will probably be put down. That is a shame. It isn't the dog's fault they attack other dogs. It's the fault of the owners for letting them get that way. Oh well, Buffy and Ziggy and you are ok. Thank goodness for that.

• Like 2

OY! I sure hope the other little dogs are okay. Another awful mess for your quiet neighborhood. At what point will these people think, "Hmmm...maybe we ought to do something about our dogs?"  The mind boggles over their lack of responsibility to their neighbors and community. I pray that some *real* action is finally taken against these incredibly stupid, irresponsible people.

• Like 2