CairnTalk

Buffy was attacked

hheldorfer

Very glad to hear of Buffy's improvement. It is truly amazing how dogs can bounce back from bad experiences - terriers in particular. She will heal and she will be fine.

We don't see too many people on our walks as we live in the country but I do always have my hiking staff with me. Helpful in rough spots and no doubt perfect to swing at a dog threatening Angus. Has a nice pointy spike on the end which grips into grass and mud.

Following up with the rott/pitbull owners is important not only because of Buffy'd dreadful experience but because their dogs can be a threat to any other dog that might walk by.

Thinking positively for all of you.  :)  :) 

Buffy was attacked this morning by a Rottweiler and Pitbull, only a block and a half from our house.  The attack was entirely unprovoked.  We were on our morning walk and the two dogs came tearing around the side of the house.  (The dogs are NEVER leashed while in the yard and there is no fence, but they usually are not out at that time of morning.)  Both dogs went straight for Buffy

Hardly an "accident", Gonetothedogs.  No fence, never leashed and attacked entirely unprovoked. The dogs are vicious and the owners are a$$holes.

Edited by Autumn & Lola
  • Like 5

Oh this makes me crazy when I hear things like this.  Having owned a pitbull I cringe when I hear that the dogs were running loose in the yard....two dogs make a pack very fast!  I always walked my pittie on a leash - she was attacked twice and bit in the face by the neighbors cattle dog that was off leash and once at the dog park by two German Shepherds when she was a puppy.  She never went back to the dog park after that.  We have always had a fenced yard as well.  Pepper has fared well at our dog park, due to the fact that very few people use it....I am so glad that you were able to get Buffy picked up and that you KICKED those dogs hard!!! Good for you - makes you want to buy steel toed boots.   Hugs and kisses to you and Buffy and I hope that Buffy gets her Cairn attitude back as soon as possible.   Your post took my breath away when I saw it posted....just HORRIBLE!!!!!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

To me an "accident" is a dog sneaking through an open door as someone is leaving and maybe barking at passers-by - startling, perhaps, but no damage is done.  If that was the case this wouldn't even have been posted as a topic. 

I should add a little background, some of which I picked up yesterday while talking to neighbors and some of which I already knew:  The owners of the Rott moved in less than a year ago.  They have been confronted by their nearby neighbors multiple times because of excessive noise, barking dogs, unleashed dogs, dog poop left all over the neighborhood and other issues.   Ron and I have witnessed the wife attempting to walk the dogs while screaming obscenities at her children.  To put it mildly they are not beloved by the community but have shown no inclination to clean up their act, so to speak. 

I believe in taking everything in context.  If this was truly an unfortunate accident, the owners would have made it a point to give me their contact information, they would have shown concern for Buffy's injuries and would have been falling all over themselves apologizing.  They did none of this.  That, combined with their reputation, brings me to the conclusion that this was an act of sheer negligence and disregard for the safety of others, not an "accident".

• Like 6

gone to the dogs, how can two potentially aggresive breeds , owned by two stupid ignorant people , who should have a fence, and should have properly trained their dogs be an "accident". It was an "accident" waiting to happen. A very stiff fine, a vet bill and dogs euthanized is the only message these kind of irresponsible owners understand...if they even remotely understand that! Owning a dog should not be a right but a privilege which means proper care of the animal which includes some semblance of obedience. Thank god Buffy came out of this alive. How about the next victim. A child perhaps or another defenceless owner and dog? No, this was no accident ...you can't cure stupid! Gggggrrrrrrrrrrr

I would like Helene, and Chucks advise do what ever I could to rectify this wrong.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 5

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I agree - it was no accident.  Responsible owners know their dogs and they knew that these dogs were not to be trusted.  Aggressive behavior in dogs doesn't just pop up in full grown animals.  It is beyond me why people want to have an aggressive dog, but some do.  If they chose to keep these dogs, love these dogs,  then they needed to take measures to assure both the dogs safety and the neighborhoods.  I think it should be seen as an assault and treated as such.  Just because it was little Buffy and Ziggy walking by, doesn't mean it couldn't of happened to a child or even an adult. 

As far as the breeds go - I have seen many wonderful pits - not really familiar with rots.  While some may think that the breed is aggressive, I do like a well mannered loveable pit.  They do make me a little leary, but when they are gentle, they are quite amazing.  I think it's the people who make the difference.  If I had a pit or a rot that was aggressive I would put it down.  I even have trouble with Wert once in a while - he gets so strange sometimes & always with me - I wonder if he is thinking of biting.  Just to give you a heads up - if Wert ever bites me - he will be gone. 

So happy that little Buffy is returning to you.  Keep us posted.  Thoughts are with you.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Here is UK Pitbulls are classed as dangerous and are taken from owners and destroyed by law. Rottweilers can be gentle and loving dogs but can also be vicious. Here we have more trouble with Staffordshire Bull Terriers and many are in Rescue Centres because people fo not want them because of the reports of them killing a Child or other dog.

Unfortunately it is usually the owners who are to blame because they get such a dog to show thst they are tough and do not train the dogs or restrain the vicious behaviour.

Glad that Buffy is continuing to improve.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

That is awful! Hope Buffy is better and will heal and soon. The owners are completely to blame for this incident. Hope they will offer or ordered to pay for the surgery and rehab. Sure Ziggy will be there to cheer Buffy on in her recovery. Also hope you will soon from the trauma  this caused on all of your family. Love and prayers for all of you all at this time.

I just now am visiting the forum and read this thread with an awful feeling. I'm so sorry that this happened to poor Buffy. We're hoping that she heals quickly. Hugs to you!

Cheers,

Tami

Dear Buffy, 

Addie here. My mommy and I are so sorry and so mad and so heartbroken that this happened to you. You are a brave and strong lady and I send you all of my puppy love and Cairn strength as you heal from this. I am glad to hear that your mommy says you're already feeling better, and hope you get all the cuddles and food you can get out of your uprights and your Ziggy. Tell Ziggy he has to be extra brave and strong for you right now . . .and he has to do everything you say. I know it's hard, but please rest as much as possible so you can fight Sassy for all the boys soon (except for Angus who is mine, but I will let you borrow him). And don't be afraid to tell people when something hurts or scares you so they can protect you; I know it's your job but let someone else do it for a little while. You deserve to be lazy and pampered as your body works hard to heal. 

• Like 6

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Go Buffy go. You are showing true cairn spirit.

Don't blame you for avoiding that street. I'd be all of a tremble myself.

Addie, I wanted to go help  Buffy. Thanks for bring understanding! Looks like she'll manage OK now with Ziggy's help. Angus

Addie, I wanted to go help  Buffy. Thanks for bring understanding! Looks like she'll manage OK now with Ziggy's help. Angus

Thanks for the offer Angus!  I sure would like to see you but I know you are Addie's man and I don't want to get in the middle.  Besides, Ziggy is helping as much as he can.  He's not smart like a Cairn but he has a good heart and is trying to handle all the house-guarding and squirrel-chasing responsibilities.

Buffy

Just now reading this...so sorry this has happened to you all! Praying Buffy keeps on her pace in recovery & that matters are resolved for the safety of your entire neighborhood.

• Like 1
Becky & Tanner

OMG! I'm just reading this thread now. How terrifying! I had chills reading your first message. I am so happy and relieved for you that Buffy is doing well...her tough little cairn spirit is shining through.

My thoughts are with all of you.

• Like 1

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

This is awful!!  Reading what happened to Buffy is so upsetting.  My heart goes out to all of you and so happy to hear that Buffy is doing remarkably well. Hugs to all of you.

It's truly amazing as I read through this post the number of people that have encounter dog attacks...it's so frustrating. If animal control does not respond or do anything, you could always notify the News stations.  It's another way of putting pressure on the owners and animal control to take this serious and do their job.

• Like 4

Here are pics of some of Buffy's wounds post-surgery.  There are a total of 6 wounds that had to be stapled.   I wasn't going to post them but I wanted people to see what the damage looked like.  And only three days later she is trotting around like a champ.  If I had that many wounds I would be lying around moaning.  "Tough" doesn't even begin to describe these dogs.  

ngf4ug_th.jpgaayydw.jpg

Edited by hheldorfer
  • Like 1

just seeing those wounds makes me even more furious at the stupidity  of the owners. I am so glad that Buffy is doing much better and hope Ziggy is doing better. Must have been very scary to you and Ziggy both. Love from Keira and our family.

Speechless. I've thought of all of you so many times since reading this thread. Seeing poor Buffy's wounds shows just how horrible an incident this was and how truly lucky she is to still be here. Sending healing and loving thoughts Buffy's way.

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

Ohhh.  Poor Buff.  What a little trooper.  Glad you took pics they will come in handy.  I feel so sorry for you all.  Glad Buffy is a cairn - tough.  Hugs and loves. :hug:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh how horrible for Buffy. They are nasty wounds . Did you check to see if the dogs that attacked her had their rabies vaccine?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie