CairnTalk

Buffy was attacked

hheldorfer

Buffy was attacked this morning by a Rottweiler and Pitbull, only a block and a half from our house.  The attack was entirely unprovoked.  We were on our morning walk and the two dogs came tearing around the side of the house.  (The dogs are NEVER leashed while in the yard and there is no fence, but they usually are not out at that time of morning.)  Both dogs went straight for Buffy - Ziggy escaped unscathed.  In a split second the Rott was on top of her, biting.  She was trying to defend herself but was unable to do anything against such a large dog.  I was screaming "Get your f****** dogs off of her!"; the owners had run out behind the dogs but the husband was having trouble getting the Rott disengaged from Buffy.  The Rott picked Buffy up in his mouth and I thought for sure he was going to kill her.  Somehow the Rott dropped her and the owner got him "under control".  The wife said she was "sorry"; I replied that I didn't give a  :censored: if she was sorry and I was calling the police.   I quickly gathered the dogs, ran home as fast as I could and called the police.

Buffy had two 1" gashes in her back and a few other puncture wounds.  She has already had surgery and required 11 staples.  Our vet said she should be OK but is concerned there may be nerve damage in one of her front legs.  Only time will tell.  She should be able to come home this afternoon.

A police report has been filed and Animal Control has been notified.  Rest assured I will be following up on this to make sure there is an investigation.  In the meantime I'm still shaking even though the attack occurred over 5 hours ago. 

Buffy's wounds will eventually heal but I fear her spirit will never be the same; neither will mine.  It was a horrible thing to witness and I pray that none of my friends here will ever have to go through this ordeal.

And just in case anyone is wondering how I feel about the Rott:  I would gladly see him destroyed.  I know it's not *his* fault but I know the owners won't be changing their ways and I don't want to see other dogs being attacked.  

That is dreadful! Poor Buffy! Hope she heals well physically and mentally after such a horrific attack. And also hope that you heal well too after witnessing such a frightening event. Hope the Police take some action against the owners and the dogs get destroyed.

Thinking about Buffy, you and Ziggy and sending cuddles to you all.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Oh Helene, I am so upset and absolutely sick. I think it is everyone's worst nightmare to see their dog attacked by another animal. Poor Buffy and poor you! I am sure you were scared to death.  I am so thankful her wounds weren't any worse and I pray there is no nerve damage and also so glad that Ziggy escaped harm.

I know you will pursue this as far as possible. Those dogs are vicious and their owners are morons. If the dogs are destroyed, those people have no one to blame but themselves for being so stupid and irresponsible. I am so angry. No matter how careful we all are with our dogs, with their overall care and protection, there will always be a**holes who have no regard for others, or others' pets.  I will write more privately as this is a family board.

I am praying for you all.  Hugs.

Horrible.  So sorry little Buffy.  Just hate that this happened and I hope that an action is taken so that you can enjoy your neighborhood and feel safe. 

I know how I felt when Demps and I were taking a walk in a town.  I noticed this little boy at the door of a house.  He had a smartass little look on his face and he opened the door and out came a big old coon dog, straight for Demps.  Demps started running and I scooped him up and I kicked at the big old coon dog.  I did not have very nice words to say to that dingy kid - who came out to get his dog. But my heart was beating like crazy and poor little Demps was in shock.  It is not good.  No injuries.  I think I scared the kid to almost tears.  If there had been any blood shed I would of came unglued.

Hugs and loves to Buffy.  I hope all heals.  And poor little Ziggy too.  I hope that the enforcement people are just that and can give you some peace of mind.  I just feel horrible.  So sorry.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I'm not entirely sure what is to be done with irresponsible owners, but it should be done swiftly and emphatically.  I'm seldom at a loss for words, but I find myself simply sputtering in frustration. Arggh and Grrr don't begin to cover it.  

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

omg -poor Buffy. What a dastardly thing to happen. So good that you got on it right away. We know you will keep after them. The picture of Buffy in the Rott's mouth is truly terrible. Angus says he would have done all he could to help if he was there. We send growly curses to the Rott and  :hug:you and Buffy - and to Ziggy- guess it was scary for him too poor little guy.

Oh how horrid for you and Buffy! I hope they destroy both of those vicious dogs and heavily fine the owner. I had something similar happen to me when walking Jock. German Shepard X was loose in its front yard with the owners . It flew across the street and tried to get at jock. Jock was only to willing to counter attack, so I like Lori and Demps, kicked their dog while yelling at the owners to grab their dog. Believe it or not they both stood there on their lawn, doing nothing , till I started screaming get your F****** dog or I am going to kick it to death. They did get it but never apologized. Thank goodness Jock wasn't hurt. After that I used to carry a horse whip with me...a long dressage whip. I think I will start carrying it again.

My heart goes out to you and given how resilient our Cairns are, hoping Buffy recovers totally physically and mentally.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thank you all for your kindness and concern.  Reading your messages helps me feel better and know I am not alone in my anger and frustration.

Ron should be picking Buffy up from the vet soon (I am at work).  She will be on antibiotics and pain meds for a while and will need to have the staples removed in 10-14 days. 

Yesterday I took Buffy and Ziggy to the park because Ron was (and is) ill with a cold.  We had a wonderful time romping at the park and then walking through the woods.  Buffy was *so* happy.  This morning I feared that would be one of my last memories of her. 

Ziggy is apparently somewhat traumatized too,  Ron took him for a walk after Buffy went to the vet.  Ziggy growled at every dog he saw on the walk, which is totally unlike him.  He was always my happy little boy with a perpetually wagging tail . . .

Pegi was attacked by a neighborhood shepard when she was a puppy - it was right after we got her 5 years ago.  The dog was on a stake in the yard and was on her in a second.  It took 3 guys to pull her off Pegi - fortunately she only ended up with scratches, but would NOT walk by that house if the dog was out for 3 years.  I talked to the owner, and he just said the dog "didn't like small dogs".  I called animal control, the police - nothing happened.  I finally called our city counselor (who's parents happen to be my godparents) and raised hell.  The owner ended up having to put a fenced in pen in his backyard.  Note - the dog did get out another time and came after Pegi and I while we were talking to 2 young children!  The owner again came flying out yelling "pick up your dog".  I held Pegi up over my head, yelled to the kids to get in the house and kicked that dog as hard as I could.

Fast forward a few years and the dog (who recently died, thank God) was old.  Pegi decided that she wasn't afraid any more and would bark her head off when walking by.  She developed quite an attitude - so hopefully Buffy will also get over this frightening experience. 

• Like 1

Linda & Pegi

Buffy, I am so sorry to hear this. We should get a pack of Cairns together and go kick the butts of the owners of those dogs.

Until you feel better you can have all the boys on the site. But you have to let me know when you feel better, no cheating now. I am praying for you.  :pray:

Sassy

___

Yesterday Sassy was lunged at by a dog that I thought liked her. A lady that lives in my condo association has two large dogs, one a puppy. She usually walks them separately, but yesterday had both on a leash. I can only guess that the older one, who did the lunging, was protecting the puppy, who is four times as large as Sassy. She had trouble controlling the larger dog and she immediately apologized and returned to her home in order to walk them individually. Stuff like that happens, but I think she handled it responsibly. Now the owners of the two dogs that attacked Buffy, they are the ones who should be put down and the dogs retrained and sent out for adoption.

Sorry, just me being my usually extreme self.

Hang in there Buffy.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Helene I am so sorry to hear this.  

I hope Buffy makes a swift recovery.  Please know you, hubby and Ziggy are in my thoughts.  

(and I wish nothing but horrible karma for those irresponsible dog owners)

• Like 1

Oh, poor Buffy!!!! Please keep us posted on her progress -- we're all rallying for her. I hope the next few days her dreams are filled with romping in the park with you and Ziggy.

• Like 2

Buffy is home and resting beside Ron.  The poor girl has four big shaved patches in her fur with staples and is limping badly on her front left leg, where she has some staples in her "armpit".  Our vet said she is very lucky that the bite on her armpit just missed puncturing her chest cavity, which would have killed her.  You can't imagine (well, maybe you can) how angry, hurt, enraged and saddened I am tonight.  I have relived the attack a hundred times in my mind today, wondering if there was anything I could have done.  I don't think there was.  The Rott was way too large and powerful and he was backed up by the Pit - still a "puppy" but capable of inflicting serious damage.

I have pics of her wounds and was going to post them but it has been so long since I have posted a pic that I got frustrated and gave up.  Besides, nothing will be gained by showing you the photos and it will only make you sick to think of this happening to your own babies.

I am calling Animal Control tomorrow.  Tonight Buffy is being pampered and given as much love as possible.  She's a tough girl and I know she will come back from this.  After dinner we always give Buffy and Ziggy a bit of cooked chicken as a treat.  This evening we carried Buffy over to her food dish and when we gave her the chicken we saw a sparkle in her eyes, which made us both happy.  

God bless all of you for being so wonderful.  Buffy, Ron and I (and Ziggy too) appreciate it. :hug: 

P.S.  Sassy - Buffy appreciates you sharing all the boys.  She invites all the male Cairns on the board to come over and feed her kibble, fan her with their tails and gently lick her wounds.

Helene, as a practical manner and as a way of getting some neighborhood control, you might want to file a lawsuit against the neighbors--their homeowners insurance does cover losses/damage caused by their dogs off or on premise.  I had many homeowners claims that involved dogs (one of the most common liability losses actually) in my long career as an insurance agent.  Relying on animal control to get rid of a nuisance dog is sketchy but the neighbor's homeowners company will probably exclude the dog from future coverage or, more likely, will threaten to cancel the policy if the owner does not get the dog off premise (actually many insurance carriers will not insure properties where Rottweilers are on premise).  This will solve the removal problem quicker than anything I know.
I would let the folks know that you have vet bills and need their homeowner policy number and company --that you intend to file suit with the insurance company.  If they refuse, just file a small claims action against them and they will be forced to go to their insurance company.

• Like 9

Like all here, I am sputtering and simply unable to express my anger. There must be consequences for dogs who are given free rein to attack other dogs. Nothing could be scarier. I hope your officials make sure these dogs (and their people) never hurt anyone else.

Pets and hugs and so much more to Buffy and you all. Our cairns are tough - but they should NEVER have to be this tough...

Hang in there, Buffy, and let your folks pamper you for a while. But don't let this get you down.

Hope that Buffy is doing alright today and is not in too much pain or discomfort.  Have been thinking about her overnight.  

Just a thought, but someone I know who had a dog attacked but thankfully nothing so serious now carries a walking stick with her on walks in case anything further happens.

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I hope you all managed to get a good night's sleep.

I am glad you saw that sparkle in Buffy's eyes when you gave her the chicken. I think consistency in her routine is important for her to feel safe and secure again, and back to her old self.

Of course there was nothing you could do, short of having a gun tucked in your sock.

How did Ziggy react when his sister came home?

More hugs...

Helene, as a practical manner and as a way of getting some neighborhood control, you might want to file a lawsuit against the neighbors--their homeowners insurance does cover losses/damage caused by their dogs off or on premise.  I had many homeowners claims that involved dogs (one of the most common liability losses actually) in my long career as an insurance agent.  Relying on animal control to get rid of a nuisance dog is sketchy but the neighbor's homeowners company will probably exclude the dog from future coverage or, more likely, will threaten to cancel the policy if the owner does not get the dog off premise (actually many insurance carriers will not insure properties where Rottweilers are on premise).  This will solve the removal problem quicker than anything I know.

I would let the folks know that you have vet bills and need their homeowner policy number and company --that you intend to file suit with the insurance company.  If they refuse, just file a small claims action against them and they will be forced to go to their insurance company.

Thanks very much for that information, Chuck.  The owners of the dogs are renting the house.  The original owners moved and decided to rent the house rather than sell it.  My understanding is that the landlord is also liable in a situation like this but I have not verified that with an attorney.  

The policeman who responded yesterday also went to the dog owners' house and reported back that they said they would pay the vet bill.  My impression from the policeman is that he felt they were only saying this to pacify him and get him out of the house.  Either way, they will be sent the bill.  My opinion (which varies a bit from my husband's opinion) is that we should get a lawyer involved up front and have the lawyer send the bill and a letter to the owners because this would carry more weight than if we tried to handle it ourselves.  

A lot depends on what kind of response I get from Animal Control today.

• Like 1

Definitely present the owners with Buffy's vet bills and expect them to pay. Don't know what MA dog laws are but I'd take them to court if at all possible. I'd try and get landlords/ renters to fence the property. At least order them to leash the dogs.

Hope Buffy feeling better today. Agree with above to keep her routine the same as possible to help get her back on track. She's a cairn she'll deal with it' You are a cairn owner you will deal with it.

And all the rest of us will be the cheering and get well backup.

• Like 1

My opinion (which varies a bit from my husband's opinion) is that we should get a lawyer involved up front and have the lawyer send the bill and a letter to the owners because this would carry more weight than if we tried to handle it ourselves.  

Agreed. A letter from an attorney will often put the fear of God into people. 

I'm sure you've already thought of this because you're a very organized person, but just in case you are (very understandably) not thinking clearly at the moment, please remember to document everything, who you spoke to and when, etc.

Hope Buffy is feeling better today.

• Like 2

Morning update:  I am happy to report that Buffy was *much* better this morning.  Frankly I am amazed that the girl could have that much spunk less than 24 hours after surgery.  She was walking much better - went for a short stroll up and down the sidewalk with Ron - and ate her entire breakfast.  She's still a bit shaky and tentative but we're seeing more and more Cairnlike behavior from her.  When she wagged her tail this morning I knew things were looking up.

Animal Control:  They did not send someone over yesterday morning because the dogs had been contained by the owners.  If the dogs had still been loose, AC would have responded immediately.  I made sure that a "case" was logged regarding the incident. AC is going to request a copy of the police report and will follow up if they deem it to be necessary. 

Ron is picking up a copy of the police report and getting our bill from the vet's office today.  Once we have all the evidence in hand we will make a decision regarding our next step.

I am so angry, i can hardly think straight! I agree with the supportive comments in response to your post... Particularly Idaho's very important advice re a lawsuit. (Be sure to save the photos of the wounds)!

For your own protection, and Buffy's as well, you might want to consider carrying something with you for protection on your walks. (I won't name what type of device that should be... It's up to you how heavy duty you think it should be, if you get my drift). This may sound extreme, but it is an extreme situation and you don't ever want to be a helpless victim again!

In spite of everything, I hope the realization that Buffy survived this close call offers you a small, but important way to console yourself.

Wishing you both all the best for a speedy and complete recovery! Please let us know how things progress.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!