CairnTalk

Shergry's Burnt Ashes of Acoma

shergry

* Puffs ready available--check (for me!)*

1996-2014

Wow....were to begin.  Our Ashes passed away on 8/21/14.  He came into our lives at a dog show in Denver, CO.  DH went out to visit with a lady we met earlier and she proceeded to show him some puppies.  Into the show comes my DH with a boy that would virtually never leave his arms again. :)

He left 2 sisters to go into our family with 2 sister again...not same litter or age, but he was picked upon just the same.  And he LOVED it!!  The girls knew the "Tasmanian Devil" he could become...so when HE WANTED something they gave it to him.

Our littlest girl...Cinders.  She passed away 2 years ago, she was only a month younger than Ashes...but could push him over in play like a tank.  He would jump up and RUN.....game ON!

He loved our spearmint/peppermint patch...would find him in there getting cool.  Also, love being under the rose bushes...he was the best smelling puppy EVER! :lol:

We used to call him "The Doctor"...whenever we had a booboo he would lick until he thought it was clean or just sit with us when we were sad or upset.  He WAS a CUDDLER!!!   I LOVE IT!!  In the later years he still thought of himself as a doctor...but ended up teaching us to be the pharmacy/nurse/therapist/dietician.

I find it hard to talk or write about him....I mean 18 years.....there are SO MANY memories/stories/laughs/cries/life!

He was the household clock watcher...it is 5:30-BARK (food, #1 & #2 business outside!); 10:30-BARK (snack, #1 business outside!); 3:30-BARK (#1 business outside, stay in kitchen area until 4:15 for FOOD!); 4:15-food; 5:30-#1 outside business; 7:30-#2 outside business; 10:30-#1 business outside, snack, teeth brushed, get ready for bed.

Now in between we would get a BARK, we would yell up to his highness in the bedroom, WHAT!  There you would see him standing, cocking his head-"SO when are YOU going to come up here and get ME?!"  Really......SOOOO cute!  He LOVED fruit and veggies....could not get by without a taste of mango or a bite of cucumber when fixing lunch or dinner.

He loved soft toys.....the only thing that was wrong with them was their eyes, noses and mouth NEEDED to come off!!  And he would chew them until they did.  This where the "doctor" kinda came into play, NEVER put them back together, as a matter of fact...stuffing had to go too! 

He had the BEST attitude for showing, compliments on his coat and gait....but the humans failed him and he only had 2 points!  WE LOVED him anyway!!

He loved to play....his run was like no other...I loved how he would get his feet to come together, pull apart, and take off.  (when I think of his run....it is like a greyhound but in smaller version)  He got away from DH in a park in upper NY.....so funny.....I was busy inside so only heard about it...darn...did not see this.  Ashes got his flexi lead away from DH and took off toward a shelter belt of trees in the park....stopped to pee.....still got away.....stopped to poop.....still got away......DH has the girls with him (one was dragging...the other was trying to catch up with Ashes to continue the chase!)...finally the one who wanted to continue the chase was stopped by DH and Ashes came to see why the chase had stopped...so DH got his lead. :thumbsup: 

He had traveled in 45 of the 50 states and Canada.  He left a little something behind in each state...sometimes he came back to leave a little more. (not only did we do dog shows...but we were long haul truck drivers....and did a ice cream vending business)

He was a "beefy" boy"/ "Da boy".  He loved beef over chicken or turkey!  He LOVED being in the kitchen, going anywhere we went in the truck/golf cart/semi-truck.  He used to get pretty upset when we would leave....even with 2 sisters to play/argue with.

In the mornings I or DH would make the bed....by mid-morning...Ashes had the bed "BETTER MADE"!  He would take both front pays and DIG until it was right....then go some where else on bed to lye down!  In his later years he did finally lye in the bed he made.  Loved pillows....mainly mine (it has buckwheat hulls in it), had to share each evening with him (during the day he could have the whole bed-king size to himself!).

WOW...digging...just came to mind...in MT he found moles extremely exciting!!!  He would once again take both front paws and dig...did not take much and he would have a good size hole.  Bring his face up for a bit of fresh air (snorting into the hole was a bit dirty) and dirt ALL over his face/under his belly/through the back legs onto the tail!  He was at DISNEY WORLD!!! :P

When ever there was a "squirrel" outside...even if the girls saw it first....Ashes would jump in and make sure he was first to get at the squirrel (IF we would open the door/never did!).  Telling the girls...."I GOT IT!!"

When Amaretto passed away 3 years ago...Ashes and Cinders were sad but ok.  When Cinders passed 2 years ago...Ashes was really sad.  So we would lay in the bed and cuddle...making sure LOVE was all around him.  I felt better just holding him or petting him.  Sulley came into Ashes life about 2 months after Cinders passed.  He seemed to settle down and know that there was some one else to talk too.

Betsy came bounding in same year as Sulley came into our lives, 2 years ago.  Ashes taught her quick " how it IS in our/HIS house".  I see he taught her a lot...how to eat fruit and veggie....how to demand something....how to be cute when you want something!!

Well I have to many stories and y'all must be bored...so find below pictures of Ashes (mainly), maybe one or two with Cinder and Amaretto.

May you all be blessed and Cairn furkids be healthy!  :hug:

post-2767-0-61842700-1408907226_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-18004100-1408907249_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-00074300-1408907262_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-51492200-1408907274_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-23888200-1408907334_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-13253100-1408907844_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-51782700-1408908612_thumb.jp

• Like 5

no, i'm not bored. what a long and brilliant life. i didn't know ashes was such a looker! he was so lucky to Iive in such a great family. i'm so sorry you are missing him now. i hope some day you can realize that everything about his life was perfect. absolutely perfect. so glad to know about him, and many condolences to you.

• Like 1

Sounds as if Ashes had a wonderful life and did so well to get 18! Sorry for your loss but the memories will live on!

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Thanks for the memories and photos of Ashes and his sisters.

He had such a long and exciting life!

I am sure he has left a big empty space though.

• Like 1

Thank you for this beautiful remembrance of  da boy. Only a dog secure and happy in his family could create such a presence.  After 18 years his shadow must be everywhere.  Relish it, cherish it, let it fade slowly, slowly until his memory is as comforting and companionable as his presence once was.  Kind thoughts to you and your DH. 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

That was a beautiful tribute to your "Tasmanian Devil".  Wow - 18 years!  He had a long, long life full of adventure, love and companionship.  Bless you for sharing him with us.  My thoughts are with you.   :hug:

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. The post is not boring at all. It brought some tears to my eyes. This is a wonderful story about a wonderful dog who lived a full and happy life. Hugs from our home to yours.

• Like 1

Shergry, I am so sorry for your loss. What a great tribute and a great life, wow 18 years. You were all blessed to have each other. Cherish those memories.

Edited by remltr
  • Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

What an amazing story! I am so sorry for your loss, Shergry. 18 years - I can't imagine. You gave him a fantastic life and love and he returned the favor. May all your memories make you smile away your grief. 

• Like 1

What a life he has led.18 yrs old...wow so fortunate for you and your family. A lot of memories no doubt to keep your thoughts of him tucked deep,into your heart.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I'm so glad you shared the life of your beloved Ashes with us.  We always know we'll lose them sometime, and it

hurts to the core.  The good memories, like these, are the ones to hold on to.  B'Shalom.

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

What a beautiful love story!

I am very sorry for your loss, but I know you will find peace in such wonderful and happy memories.

ox

• Like 1

What a beautiful tribute to Ashes, I am so deeply sorry to hear of his passing.  What an amazing dog he must have been and to give you 18 wonderful years too!  I hope your memories of Ashes help to comfort you in the days ahead.

Rest in Peace Ashes......you will be missed.

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 1

I am very sorry for the loss of your dear Ashes. He had a beautiful, adventurous 18 years. I enjoyed reading your story and understand the pain you are feeling. They will always be a part of us with these precious memories.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...