CairnTalk

Size for Mars coat stripper or other recomendation?

magda

Hi,

What size of Mars stripper are you using on your carrin, I was hand stripping but his coat is growing way too fast, I can't keep up.

Mars web page recommends 12.

Please

any recommendation?

Agree. Size 16.  It's considered a 'finishing tooth' but it also prevents you taking 'hunks' out of the coat before you're used to the tool, as well allows for subtle reshaping of areas if needed.  And tends to do thin leg hair, when a 12 wouldn't touch that.

I also find a 16 grooms a broader range of coat thicknesses/textures, better than a wider/less tooth. 

Truthfully, what we are doing with a Mars is not what it was designed for--it was actually designed to do something similar to today's Furminator, through all layers of a coat.  But sometimes tools are adaptable, and for our choice of job-- hand-stripping simulator, a finer tooth works better.

Especially, if you'll file the teeth slightly, the tool will pull more than cut.  My 20yr MCK collects more 'full length' pulled hairs in it, than 'partial-length' cut hairs.  Although, I can force mine to cut more coat by rolling my wrist.

• Like 1

I've had good luck with the furminator for undercoat specifically. 

We had a pro groomer do the dogs and one tool in her arsenal was this Andis deshedding rake. She recommends it to us pet folk over the MCK because the size makes it harder to make holes with it, it covers a lot of area fast, and it costs less. It's very similar to the MCK 16 … a bit wider. It worked a treat.

Maybe not as nice construction but still looked quite decent — easily durable enough to last my lifetime :P

post-3-0-56999600-1408316484.png

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hmmm...can you explain how you file the teeth slightly?

Small round jeweler's file, lightly stroked, each direction (left & right) over the teeth 5-10 times may be enough--that's depending on how sharp it is and how much 'dulling' you want/need.  You need the file to get into the inside curve, where the blades are sharpened.

I usually tell people to do 5-10 light strokes; then one half-length stroke (or shorter) along a hip or down the center back of the dog; pull that wad out and check for full length hairs vs how many are shorter/cut.  You want more full-length (ie. 'pulled' hairs) in the 'wad' than cut hairs.  You may need to get a magnifying glass to see the ends well--a cut hair will be nearly the same thickness along it's length or have a distinct blunt or diagonal cut on one end.  All hairs have a gentle taper on the 'outer' end.  A pulled hair will be slightly thicker near the root or even have a rounded 'bulb' on the end. 

You only have to go to this trouble once, until you get the tool do what you want; some want to pull lots so they dull further.  I prefer a mid-choice "sharpening/dulling"-- pull some, able to roll my wrist/apply pressure to the blade area to force the tool to cut if I need it to.

Harbor Freight & Chicago Tool has cheapo small files, perfect for the job; your local hardware store may have some as well.

Engineer here, that wondered why so many say an MCK cuts more than it pulls--and I was told when getting my 1st MCK to dull it.  So I learned the intended mechanics of the tool, then figured out the adaptation somewhat mimics hand-pulling.

• Like 2

Ah, be brave.  The cliche is truthful:  It grows back.   

Just remember hairs have life cycles; you won't ruin a coat-- at most, in a few weeks any cut hairs will be ready to come out anyway, probably sooner if it's much grown out.

And you'll have learned how the tool really works for you, how to modify it to work better if you like it, and if it fits your preferred grooming style.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Has anyone here ever used a  flea comb?  I brushed Keira t and then used a flea comb and was amazed by the long hairs removed. Anyone  had luck with this?

I also had some concerns re cutting/vs pulling the hair with the Mars Coat King and discovered that a light going-over with a metal slicker brush was fast and easily pulled out a good amount.

i think this would work for most of our cairns -  with the exception of Ruffy who decided one day that he hates, hates, hates any metal tool touching him. He's fine with bristle brushes and combs, but no longer tolerates the MCK, Furminator or slicker, and doesn't even like scissors!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Sam is in the infancy of being even brushed. Hard to brush a bowl of jello as it's trying to kill the comb.:lol:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I have a #16 MCK- I really like it. I find it allows me to keep Tewcsby's' coat in check until we take him to the groomer ( the breeders granddaughter) twice a year. Everyone always says how good his coat looks.image.thumb.jpg.e5a00e538b7151445a73fa306ee6b297.jpg

• Like 2