CairnTalk

Still the champ

hheldorfer

We have long referred to Buffy as "The Champ" and she proved it again this morning.  I was walking Buffy and Ziggy and a German Shepherd mix named Pirate came bolting out of a house and across the street toward us.  This was the second time Pirate had done this; the first time, DH was walking the dogs.  I knew what to expect so I immediately dropped Buffy's leash and said "take care of it".

Buffy positioned herself in front of me and Ziggy, waited until Pirate was in striking distance and launched herself toward him, grabbing the side of his neck in her jaws and snarling like a demon.  Pirate backed off, Buffy let go (she didn't break the skin, I'm sure - Pirate has a very thick coat) and Pirate's dad came running across the street to retrieve him.  It was all over in 30 seconds. 

I was very, very proud of our girl.  She knew exactly what to do, executed her plan perfectly and successfully drove off the attacker.  Even though it happened quickly I could tell there were a thousand calculations going through that Cairn head of hers.  She reactive instinctively, yet intelligently.  When the incident was over, it was over - there was no barking and carrying on.  I picked up her leash and we went on our way.

I am constantly amazed by these brave little dogs.  There is *so* much more going through their heads than we know.

• Like 6

Great job Buffy! You know how to take care of business.

I know what you mean. I am constantly amazed by my two. especially Kelly. She is more quiet and reserved than Prissy. She carries out her duties in a matter of fact way, and knows how to use the art of intimidation.

Prissy is larger than Kelly and immediately goes into bark and growl mode and is protective, but Kelly's way is more like get into position, wait for the right moment and bam the other dog or what ever it is doesn't know what happened. It seems other dogs pay more attention to Kelly. Watching them it is like Prissy invites the confrontation and Kelly takes care of it. If Prissy is alone it is just never ending bark, growl, snap, back away, other dog keeps coming.

When it is Kelly it is get into stance, calmly wait,head held a certain way, then bam it's over in a few seconds and the other dog retreats.

I wonder what Kelly and Buffy would be like together? haha 

• Like 1

Way to go, Buffy!  You really are "the champ!"  I'm so glad you protected your little brother and your mom!  Here's your theme song, you smart, tough little gal!

• Like 1

Just 2 cents.  I admire you for letting the dogs take care of the intruder.  We try to be in front of ours (best we can...sometimes it is REALLY hard)..to act like the leader and take care of the intruder.  I (and hubby) would NEVER pick ours up.  I have been told (and seen with my own two eyes), by picking up your dog it looks as if it is above the intruder and the intruder sees it as a challenge.

My hubby on many an occasion has stepped in front of our barkers, and put his arms out to his side (it appears to the dog as bigger), stepped forward and just stood there.  The intruder is NOT wanting to confront this big dog...so they usually run away...on some occasions they actually hang around to see if they can join.  Trying to come to the big dog and submit....that still gets a "Go home" command.

I am awe inspired and in wonderment over how well your experience worked.  I say kuddos to you and your pack...took care of a intruder and sent the message...."Don't mess with my pack!"

• Like 2

Buffy, The Dragon Slayer. Kicking A$$ and no time for taking names, got to finish the walk. I bow to you. You can have all the boys until the end of the month.

Sassy

• Like 3

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Had to chuckle at the Rocky song -right on! Perfect for Buffy.

Must say I'd be very hesitant to encourage Angus to get into a fight. Not sure I could call him off once he got going. Would worry owner of other dog would sue. Would worry Angus would get bit.

Reluctant to pick Angus up. Put behind me and tell other dog to "go home".

Heck I had to do this to a bear once as he sat on my deck checking out bag birdseed I forgot to put away. He hurried away. Hopefully dog would also recognise the tone of voice used!

• Like 1

This is a scenario that has been repeated many times with Buffy on walks.  Neither DH nor I *encourage* Buffy to fight but it is obvious she considers herself our protector and knows how to handle these situations far better than us.  She has spent hours on end at the dog park and has been well educated in the dos and don'ts of dog society.  She can judge whether a dog is overtly aggressive or just curious and reacts accordingly.  In this instance, the dog wasn't really aggressive (no bared fangs or snarling) but was too rambunctious.  Buffy waited until he had entered her "space" - roughly a 3' radius - and didn't react until then.  Somehow she knows exactly what it will take to get the intruder to back off.  On the other hand, she's not stupid - she won't take on a dog who is too large or aggressive.  In those situations we take charge.

I understand the protective urge to pick the dog up but I have two problems with this:  First, if you are dealing with a truly vicious dog, you could be placing yourself in greater danger by picking your dog up.  Plenty of people have been maimed this way.  I believe that you and your dog have a much better chance of surviving an attack by a) dropping the leash, which will allow your dog to run if necessary, and freeing your hands so you can fight if necessary.  Second, Buffy and Ziggy each weight approximately 20 pounds and I would be essentially incapacitated if I tried to pick both of them up.  

Edited by hheldorfer
  • Like 4

I think you may have more presence of mind than me, hheldorfer :-) Unleashing the dog may also give some dogs the space and opportunity to leave the scene.  I know when  it looks like a dog squabble is about to break out in our hallway I often shoo them out the sliding door onto the deck and into the backyard because giving them space very often de-escalates things. I think it may give them room to do all their posturing, save face (or whatever the dog equivalent might be) and whatnot.

Edited to add: the street is a huge factor, though. I'll admit that much.  I still wouldn't cast aspersions on someone else's decisions though, regardless how mine might differ. 

Edited by bradl
street danger is indeed a problem in my neighborhood
  • Like 5

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I should add that this was not on a busy street.  Had it been, I would never have dropped the leash.  I should further add that she never once entered the roadway during the incident.  

I trust Buffy and she trusts me.  

• Like 6

I see what you are saying hheldorfer. I agree that giving dogs space often gives them a place to de-escalate things.

Angus manages doggie stuff way better off leash than on.He learned at doggie day care.

Each of us knows our own dogs and knows what works. No one way is right for all that's for sure. I'm still laughing at Sassy, Buffy and the Rocky song even though I'm still saying 'What! You let her go!?'

Way to go Buffy!!  You Rock Buff!  What does Ziggy think of this?

Ziggy has learned that he can depend on his sister in these situations.  He was in the backup position, poised to pounce if Buffy ran into any trouble. ;)

Good for Buffy. You mentioned before she doesn't tolerate any nonsense at the dog park. The other dogs listen to her and behave. Amazing how a small dog has so much influence over the larger dogs. Its not the size its the attitude. At my park a few years ago I was talking to a man with a friendly German Shepard. Another man came by with a small Chihuahua that growled at the German Shepard. The Shepard cowered. Don't know what could have happened if the Shepard wasn't friendly.

You know Buffy and what she will and will not do.

Malcolm says he will come over and give Buffy a hand. Malcolm likes to bite people. When that dog comes over again Buffy can handle the dog and Malcolm will tackle the guy. Malcolm won't tolerate his nonsense in letting his dog loose. And I bet this guy will listen to Malcolm.

• Like 2

Only you truly know your dog. It is hard to say just what someone would do in the same situation, same dogs, etc. If a dog ever went after Lola, I am fairly confident if I stood in the middle, I'd not fare well, and Lola would be a much easier target in my arms. I think we all do what we feel is the absolute best option in any given scenario. As Buffy has encountered this dog before and easily scared him off, I'm positive you made the correct choice.

• Like 1

Buffy and malcolm as team... Scary...

It's probably a good think Malcolm lives in Chicago and Buffy lives 40 miles away in Joliet.  That is *probably* an adequate buffer zone.  I have a feeling that one town wouldn't be big enough for both of them.   :lol:

• Like 1

Well....Pepper always puts the younger ones in their place at the dog park when they have sniffed too long at her behind - a quick lunge and snarl and then all is forgotten.  She did have an issue with a smaller, pushy dog the other day (husband was walking her) at the dog park.  (Our dog park usually has at the most 5 dogs....)  I have observed this dog before - small lab mix and "pushy" - Pepper did her quick discipline but the dog didn't back off so it was a "stand off" of some kind.  Husband said the owner of the other dog called it off and Pepper quickly forgot the altercation.  All was well after that....  She does know when to roll over and be submissive, too.

Pepper's Mom

If the attack can't be averted, one method of separating the dogs is to grab the attacker by the back legs and pull it away as fast and as firmly as you can. This is not easy to do when 2 dogs are furiously going at each other, but I have done it and it worked. 

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I can speak to the issue of picking up a dog...A few years ago, when I had Allie at our dog park, a mid - size dog would not leave her alone. She was snarling and I thought she might attack the dog so I picked her up. The other dog started to jump at her in my arms and then gave me a good bite in my inner thigh

The eventual bruise was more than a half foot across...last time we went to the park, by the way.