CairnTalk

Janice Beck

bradl

Our local club lost a stalwart this past week, Janice Beck.  I adapted an article from our club newsletter for a facebook remembrance so will simply add to that one casual photo that captures Janice's roll-with-it spirit and a brief memory of the day we met Janice and her sister.

Peggy and I were with our first Cairn together -- a wee darling named Barley -- on the grounds at the Clackamas Kennel Club show at the fairgrounds in Canby Oregon. We had a great mentor in Barbara McNamee but we scarcely knew anyone at all in Cairns otherwise.  It was a sunny summer day and up strolls Janice and her sister. Janice immediately identified us as newbie Cairn owners and promptly sat down in the grass with us and talked to us about Cairns for well over an hour. She whipped a pumice stone out of her purse and showed us how to groom and rake undercoat out of our little puppy.  We went home thinking (not for the last time), "Wow, Cairn people are friendly!"

Janice was a low-drama get-things-done sort of person. She was constantly taking in rescues, conditioning and training them a bit, and then finding lovely homes for them. So often we'd find a new face at a Cairn fun day with one of Janice's rescues. And of course she had her own, too, and would share tales of sneaking Missy in to visit with her husband when he was in the hospital. 

Janice was so friendly and easy to be around. She supported our club in many quiet ways besides rescue. She'd help you with grooming, help you grade a litter, or give you some helpful handling feedback from her vantage point ringside. She was always donating painted Cairn figurines and even big cement cairns to use for fund-raisers or prizes.

The casual photo below was taken at a 2007 A-match (one of the AKC requirements for becoming a licensed club) and she had a Dorothy theme going with gingham and sparkly ruby sneakers.  The other photo is of her Missy that she sent me one day in response to a call for photos. It made a great "May Flower" meeting notice image.

post-3-0-93790300-1402858698_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-59862300-1402858699_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Idaho Cairns

What a neat memorial--described so well I feel like I know/knew her.  Sorry for the collective loss of this obviously wonderful Cairn lady.

Sorry for the loss of a wonderful lady. It seems having a Cairn Terrier always brings out the best in people, or it's just that special people choose a Cairn. I think it is a little of both.