CairnTalk

Cowhand Demps

Dempsy's Mom

I wish I would of had my camera tonight.  We have a momma cow down out in the pasture.  This is the first night that I have taken Demps and Elsie with me while feeding and watering her.  We took the gator and when Demps saw her there was one bark.  I said, "No Demps" and gently took the water and silage to her. 

Then all the other cows thought they had to come and eat her food.  :nono: So we stood guard while she ate and Dempsy worked the cattle like a pro.  I was amazed.  Every time one of the other cows would come up to try to steal her food Dempsy would chase them away without disturbing the downed cow.  They came from all angles and Demps was on it.  We kept guard about a half hour and Demps never took his eyes off the other cattle.  He is catching on. :D  And soooo very proud of himself.  Yup, officially a cowhand.

Elsie spent her time sniffing out gopher holes and waddling in the mud. :confused:

• Like 9

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Sounds like Dempsy needs a couple pair of kuh-boy boots and a kuh-boy belt. And a horsey and lasoo. Yeehah!!

Edited by remltr
  • Like 4

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Awesome job Dempsy! You keep them cows in their place.

I can just see him strutting his stuff! haha  It is great how they watch over everyone isn't it.

Kelly makes her rounds a couple of times in the middle of the night. It wakes me up, because I can here her nails clicking on the floor and she stops as she checks each bed, then goes back to her own. Mom stayed all night with us one night when I was sick and she got the biggest kick out of hearing her check on everyone. She also told me every time she coughed Kelly came running to the bedroom to check on her. 

• Like 2

I like that too, Lynn.  The little sweeties want to make sure everything and everyone are in there places.  Kinda like a sheriff in the cowboy days making their rounds with their spurs hitting on the wooden plank walks.  Love hearing their little toe nails click.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

How fun!! I wish you had a video! Good job Demps! You are such a good farm manager! And Elsie, I'm sure you were ready to jump in at a moment's notice if Dempsy needed backup. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

That must have been awesome to watch. Every time you write about Demps keeping the cows in line, I always picture him running around barking, "Stay back, cows! I'm talking to you! I'M in charge here!" :D

What a ranch hand you turned out to be Dempsey ! :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Dempsey is showing how clever he is in knowing what help you need!

Edited by josie&holly

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

He understood exactly what the plan was.  Let the injured cow eat and keep the rest away - ok mom, I got it.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori