CairnTalk

To catch a gopher

CharlaysServant

We recently got a new addition to our backyard in the form of a gopher.

Now while they are not uncommon in our area, what is puzzling to me is how it got there.

My backyard is split level as our house backs into a steep hill.  The lower portion of our backyard is totally surrounded by concrete walls and a cement patio.

I guess it didn't like it's current digs (pun intended) and decided to move in.

Now, I'm tempted to let Charlay go after it since that is what the breed was bred to do.

If anything, I'd like to let him try and if he fails, then I'll get a trap or something.

Need I be concerned with the possible chance that he could get rabies?

Thoughts?

I suspect there is always a Chance of rabies if a wild animal bites them. I must admit I am always worried about that myself.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Actually saw him digging and pushing the soil out of his burrow so I know exactly where he is.  Hopefully it is not that extensive yet as it just seems to have moved in just last night.

I'll let Charlay have a go at him and see what happens.

Kelly and Prissy would love to help. They don't have a fenced yard (YET) to chase varmint away. I can't imagine what they would do. LOL  

I hope Charlay scares it away. Good Luck!

As much as I cherish my Cairn children, I can't bear the idea of them attacking a groundhog/woodchuck.

There should be a way of averting this event....  I guess I'm an equal  opportunity non-human lover. :)

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I have to admit if I saw Rosie kill her arch enemy, mr squirrel, it would horrify me.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

If Charlay's gopher skills are anything like Els and Demps - there will be very little chance of Mr Gopher getting caught.  But, you never know.  I would let Charlay have his fun.  Mr Gopher may be making holes, but Charlay will make an addition on Mr Gophers new home.  :)  Great entertainment get the video camera out.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Every time gophers are mentioned I can't help but think of Bill Murray in Caddyshack, "how about a nice cool drink, varmints?"   :D

Edited for spelling issues.

Edited by Tuesday
  • Like 2

Well... the rats are back under our deck and Pepper is going ballistic!  She is sniffing every crack and snorting and barking and trying to get to them.  The trap already caught one and they have been re-set.   Ugh....

Pepper's Mom

We don't have rats in Alberta...I wouldn't leave my house if they were living close by,

So, just an update on the hunt for the gopher.

Like I mentioned before, my backyard is split level.  The lower level is surrounded by cement walls.  Here is a pic looking down on the dirt mounds.

post-7181-0-36217400-1398810710_thumb.jp

I made a custom collar with a GoPro attachment so that I could record the hunt.  I was hoping that he would dig the critter out and then get to chase it around.  I was severely disappointed.  Any whoo...here is a pic with the GoPro.

post-7181-0-68935900-1398810848_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Here is another pic of him.   After 10 minutes of initial digging at the gopher location, he got bored and started digging in a totally different part of the yard.

post-7181-0-08133200-1398810957_thumb.jp

While he was doing that I tried to flood the critter out with the hose, but that only made things worse and muddy.

post-7181-0-15246200-1398811013_thumb.jp

After another 10 minutes of earnest digging in the mud, Charlay decided to call it quits and starting doing other stuff.  The gopher must have been really deep and out of his reach.

I did a little digging myself with a shovel but quickly gave up.  I decided that I would just go out and buy a gopher trap the next day.

With Charlay so low to the ground and when he starts digging the GoPro just rests on the ground and you really can't see anything.  Plus he was running around and the housing was banging into everything and getting all scratched up.  I took it off him.

My daughter had fun giving him a bath to get all the mud off of him....heheheh..

The next morning I was washing a few dishes before going to work and I look out the kitchen window.  I see a little bit of dirt move and I knew he was back to clearing out the holes we must have filled in the day before.

I decided then that I would become the hunter and prevent more damage to the backyard. 

Now, I do love animals, but I consider gopher's vermin, just like I would a rat or a mouse, so I had no qualms about terminating it.

So I took my trusty BB gun and went to the upper level of my yard and waited.

After about 3 minutes he started digging again and when he popped out his head.....bye bye Mr. Gopher.

post-7181-0-26572800-1398811710_thumb.jp

I have to admit that he was a very cute guy, but he was ruining my yard.  I didn't want to deal with catch and release.

I apologize in advanced to the people who may feel that I should have gotten rid of him in a different manner.

post-7181-0-56363500-1398811732_thumb.jp

Charlay is NOT the hunter I thought he was...although he acts like it when birds and cats come into the yard.  Maybe he just need more training or I expected too much from him.

Well... the rats are back under our deck and Pepper is going ballistic!  She is sniffing every crack and snorting and barking and trying to get to them.  The trap already caught one and they have been re-set.   Ugh....

The neighbors tore out their old deck and the family of racoons that used to live there moved under my deck.  I covered up all the holes that they could get through and they've moved on.  Unfortunately, cats are a smaller and found a way in.  I think a female had a litter under the deck cause Charlay goes nuts every time we let him out.  He can smell them but he gets so frustrated cause he can't get to them.

Thank goodness Charlay can't get at the kittens, poor mum momma cat must be a wreck wondering if Charlay is going to kill her babies.

We've had an invasion of voles at our co-op, and I was talking big about how Gus would take care of those rodents! The other night he was on guard duty by the sliding glass door and a vole came out from the rock wall at the back of the garden and just sat there staring at us. Gus was going ballistic...and I was just too squeamish to open the door and let him go at it! Maybe next time....

I must admit that I did have some reservations about creating this thread as well as the outcome.  I knew that someone somewhere would get offended. 

To those that I may have offended, I apologize.