CairnTalk

What has your dog done to make you proud recently?

Lupinegirl

I'm so proud of Nikki. I dropped a jar of spaghetti sauce on the floor this morning. The glass shattered but thankfully most of the mess was contained in one spot and no one was hurt. Nikki stood right by me while I was cleaning up the mess, looking at the meat sauce and at me hopefully. He kept asking "mine?" I said "no, baby. Stay back." He did. :)

He supervised everything but he did not touch the sauce or move any closer to it. I could practically hear his mouth watering. When I finished cleaning up, I praised him and made him really happy by putting a hamburger patty in his food bowl. It might not have been the coveted spaghetti (I was disappointed to lose that, too) but it was a satisfying reward.

Nikki does so many things that make my heart melt. Some of these things are: going to the opposite side of the room and sitting down to watch while I bring in groceries; lifting up his feet one by one to let me put his harness on him to go outside; draping his leg over my arm and hopping a little to help me pick him up even though he usually growls in mild protest (lol); sitting still right in front of me so that I can brush his back and head (forget brushing the tail and butt, though. That's private property. But he only moves a couple of feet away when I do brush him there. He doesn't outright leave.); and he has an indoor bark. He tries to keep his volume down to a soft "buff" or "brrr" and grumble instead of barking because he knows I'll say "Quiet!" if he barks. All bets are off when someone comes to the door, or a squirrel climbs up to the bird feeder outside our window, but he tries to be quiet every other time. If he lets a loud bark slip, he'll look at me like he's saying "Oops. Sorry." Or he'll ask "Am I in trouble?" Lol. He will silently watch deer walking through our yard without even trying to lunge. :)

Nikki stays in his bed until I put my shoes on and then he's ready to start his day with a jog down the stairs and a good rub on the couch and a roll on his back. He asks me to play several times a day, but if I ignore him, he will lay down and take a nap until I'm ready to give him attention. Sometimes he invites me to play just to get me to sit next to him and pet him for a while. He knows how to trade things. If I have a toy he wants, he will spit out what's in his mouth to chase the toy. And when my two year old cousin had a toy he wanted in her hands, he kept trying to show her that he wanted her to throw it. My cousin was too young to understand the concept of fetch so Nikki finally gave up on trying to initiate that game and instead came up to take the toy from her. I was standing right next to her, ready to block him if needed but I was curious to see what he would do.

I mentioned in another thread how things turned out, but I will repeat again that Nikki carefully batted at the ball with his paw. He made sure that he did not scratch my cousin's hands. And he mouthed the ball until she let go of it. Once he got it, he scampered off and proceeded to tease her with it. The toddler didn't understand, but I was proud of Nikki for being gentle with her and showing her that she could trust some dogs. That toddler calls every shaggy brown dog with perky ears "Nikki" now, and she's very gentle when she pats him. Now she does know how to play fetch but she still prefers to chase the ball herself instead of giving Nikki a turn. Lol. He will slam on the brakes to keep from running into her and look at me in confusion when that happens. :)

Nikki once brought me a pile of his toys in the hopes that I would give him one of my collectible stuffed bears. Lol. He learned that trading works both ways, and he didn't understand how I could pass up on his wonderful collection. :D He knows how "bone" is spelt. And his smiles and wagging tail when he greets me are so precious! Is it obvious why I love this dog so much?

Nikki is the first dog I've raised and trained on my own and although I have made mistakes and had some trials with him (marking indoors was a hassle for six years. Ugh), I can hardly believe how wonderful he turned out. He comes when called (usually.) He sits when asked. (Maybe not until I use my firm voice, but he does not budge once he does sit unless I ask him.) And on top of all the little things he does to make me happy, he still has plenty of cairn attitude to tell me what he thinks. And he's just plain cute no matter what he does. I can't help adoring this little guy. He's nine years old and while I know it's a long shot, I hope he has nine more happy, healthy, playful years.

Alright. My Nikki appreciation post is done. If it's too long or if it rambles on too much, I can trim and edit it. Lol.

Any way, now that you know a bit about my boy, I'd like to read what your dog has done to make you proud or melt your heart recently.

• Like 6

Idaho Cairns

Neat post--I'm glad you are having such a positive experience with your Nikki--seems like we often get complaints and concerns about Cairns here, which is natural considering the general purpose of the forum but your post is certainly refreshing to read.

Our Cairns are so rocked in, so domesticated and set in our human set ways that we simply expect them to behave and they generally do--our quiet lifestyle has become a quiet lifestyle for them. 

However we did have the invasion of their three (only one a Cairn) "cousins" from California yesterday (my daughter is here for a visit and we are "dog people" so she stays with us) and our girls were their usual sharing selves--willingly giving up space and attention to the dog guests--I admire them so much for just rolling with the tide.

• Like 2

i hope all cairn owners struggling through the usual cairn troubles with a two year old or three year old read your wonderful post and look forward to the future. i think for all of us nikki's wonderful little gestures and sounds are familiar. as they mature they really do become the best friend you can have. i hope you and wonderful nikki have many years together.

• Like 5

What an absolutely wonderful post. Thank you for sharing the joy you're found in Nikki. 

Addie is in her terrible twos and while she does test her limits at times, she is 100% the best dog I've ever had.

I've been most proud of how adaptable she has been this pat year. We moved across the country about a year ago. The whole drive she happily sat or slept in her car seat, settled in to the hotel and was a respectful guest at night, and generally traveled like a champ. Since then, my parents have come to visit quite often and friends have too and she shares her small space with joy and doesn't seemed phased in the slighted when her daily routine is upset. I can't believe how easily she adjusted to a major change and how happily she adjusts to minor changes. She's unflappable. 

Despite still being young, Addie is a phenomenal ambassador for the Cairn breed. She is a great apartment dog, she doesn't bark too much or too loudly (except when barking is warranted), she recognizes her neighbors and greets them happily, she is respectful or playful with other dogs in the complex, and she hasn't damaged a thing. 

My only real worry with Addie is that I won't get to keep her forever, but I'm cherishing the years I've had and the many years I hope to have. 

• Like 4

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Love this post!

I must say that Jock was just the most amazing dog we ever owned. I know....one never speaks of the deceased in a negative tone, but he really was . :) Housebreaking him was a snap, he never chewed anything, was loyal to the hilt and I am sure would have protected his house and owners with his life. Waking me up every morning with his cold nose gently touching my eyelid...he would hold that till I started laughing . A star in his earlier years as an agility and obedience dog. But Jock did have one major issue....he hated other male dogs. Hence the disgraced early departure in the agility class.

Now to his cousin, Rosie, the Scotty or as Whits calls her The Scairn. Jock taught her respect, submission and potty places that were appropriate to relieve ones self. Madam as we call her, is 1.5 yrs and has decided that when we leave her to long alone (perhaps 5hrs tops) perhaps destroying her wicker basket is in order and so is having a poop right by the garage door(where we leave) as a reminder that leaving the princess on her own for half a day is not done in her world. Scolding a Scottie is like trying to talk to a fence post. Jock would have been mortified . Not madam. Look of , well what do you expect, don't do it again uprights. One thing about Scottie's that is totally different from Cairns is that they can really hold a grudge....well at least till the next treat is offered.

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I love this topic. Oscar is mine and DH's first dog. We didn't know what we were getting into when we brought him home. He had so much energy we didn't know what to do with him. Thank god for doggy daycare.

Oscar was 2 and still in his puppyhood when our DS can home at 18 months old. Oscar matured in 1 second. As soon as he realized he wasn't the baby of the house he calmed down and went right to work trying to take care of DS.

DS was frightened of Oscar and our at Chance when he first came home. But that didn't stop my dynamic duo of watching him while he slept, running for me when he cried and sitting outside the bathroom door during diaper changes and bath time.

Oscar is the sweetest dog and adjusts his temperament and energy level depending on who he is hanging out with.

We love him so much.

• Like 3

What an awesome post, Lupinegirl!  I got teary-eyed towards the end when I read he is 9 years old. Throughout the post I kept thinking he was quite young and maybe you were still in the "honeymoon" stage with him. It is so sweet that he continues to dazzle and amaze you, and make you proud. :D

I've posted several times in the past six months of all the things Lola has done to make me proud, so I won't go into them again, but it is so nice to have an "appreciation" thread. :) 

• Like 2

Keira is nearly 4 and has really matured the last 9 months. Yesterday, I bought her her 1st ball of the summer. Ty always get popped when they are soft enough for her to bite them.  Anyway, the ball rolled out of the sack to her and the run was on, it scooted out of the garage and into the street! i said Keira, No get back in the garage. Miracle of miacles she stopped and went into the house.

• Like 3

Nikki's story is so good to read.

Hoping that will be the future for young Angus. I think the biggest thing that makes me proud is that the wild teenager of a year ago has turned into an almost grownup buddy that I can take anywhere. Polite when visiting with strange people, greets other dogs with proper doggy manners, sleeps in a  strange place in his crate with no problem. Learning to be gentle with children all of whom he adores and who adore him. Willing to travel anywhere and try anything. 

It took work to get us to this point but oh boy it was worth it! 

Thanks to the forum for guidance and encouragement! Something special about Cairn folk that's for sure.

• Like 4

Hmmm . . . I've been thinking about this.

I'm proud when Buffy - who never hears me - suddenly obeys my command when it really matters.  I'm proud when she tells me that Ziggy needs something or when he's in some type of distress.  Most of all I'm proud when I see how devoted she is to our little pack, always vigilant and attentive to everything that's going on.  She has come a long way from the crazy girl who joined our family five years ago.

• Like 5

This is a great topic. I had a dinner party a few weeks ago and my two boys made me very proud. They were on their best behavior and our friends fell in love with the breed. They could not get over how Bailey's tail never stops wagging. They are very social and excellent with the grandkids -- even my energetic Radar, he can be so gentle with the kids. They are the best!

• Like 3

Last night I threw out my back and was in a lot of pain. I took a pain pill which made me sleepy (and grumpy). The two chihuahuas next door started barking around 11:30 p.m. and Callie did not bark back. Any other night, she would have been barking back until they stopped. They barked for about an hour. Callie did make a low growl once, but stopped when I said "huh uh".  I am so proud at the restraint she showed last night when I was feeling like crap. :)

post-7048-0-99644000-1395428006_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Yes the large plastic soft ones WalMart has every summer. THe only thing is that you have to watch the dogs when they play with them so they will not be able to swallow a  small part.