CairnTalk

Most "loved" toys

Kathryn

I freely admit I am going a little stir crazy in this Minnesota weather, where the winds have now reached blizzard level and the temp is dropping by the hour. I have been trying to keep Oban occupied and tired in this weather without lots of outdoor time, and it has not been easy.

We just finished a game of tug with his oldest and most worn toy, referred to in this house as Pink Bunny.  Pink Bunny started his life, the week after we got Oban, with both insides and a squeaker.  Now he should be called Flat Bunny, I suppose..

I got to thinking it might be a great diversion to see what other cairns have done to their toys. Want to post your photos to amuse me?

post-749-0-78302700-1390778493_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Addie's favorite toy seems to change over time. She used to never be without her Kong monkey, then it was her Invincibles snake, and right now she loves a beaver with an empty water bottle in his chest. Her toys don't typically last long as she destuffs and desqueaks them. She has a flying pig (it has a built in sling shot) that she LOVES LOVES LOVES but I only let it out for chase once every few weeks in the hopes of keeping it alive longer. Here's my favorite bit of destruction - I purchased a PetCo Star Wars StormTrooper after returning from San Diego Comic Con this summer. Five minutes later, this is what was left:

post-5434-0-04016700-1390780006_thumb.jp

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I am with you Kathryn - I am going stir crazy today.

This is "Pig". Pig is one of Dempsy's favorite toys, but Pig is not to be touched. Dempsy has never punctured him. He moves him around the house and he loves him dearly, but doesn't want to harm him. Very odd. So Pig is unlike all Dempsy's other toys. Dempsy's monkey looks a lot like pink rabbit - his rooster has been plucked - his elephant is no longer moving out, because he has lost his trunk. But Dempsy's prize Pig (which he has had for more than a year) remains intact. And is happier than a Pig in :shock:

Told you I was going a little nuts today. :)

• Like 6

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I think Dempsy is practicing his farm management on Pig, moving Pig from pasture to pasture without Pig getting hurt. He wants to prove he can take over the farm from Jim eventually.

• Like 4

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Gracie's favorite toy is Chippy the Chipmunk.  Buckley never, ever moves Chippy or he will get pounced on by Gracie. We've had Chippy for 5 years and he is starting to get a little threadbare.  She carries Chippy around everywhere with her.  I find him in the most surprising places.  Upstairs, downstairs, fallen behind the sofa, upstairs under my desk, downstairs in the master bathroom, on the stairwell half way between floors, in the washing machine because he was buried in the sheets...you get the picture.  I bought Chippy 2 this year.  He is no Chippy the 1st and pretty much resides in the toy basket.  Every once in awhile, I will find Chippy the 1st and Chippy 2 right next to each other in the living room..

• Like 3

Glad to read that you all are as creative in naming your dog's toys as I am. :D I must get a pic of Ted and post it.

Callie doesn't play with toys much. She has a froggy named "Froggy". She also has a zebra, pig, and lamb, all named "Froggy". She never tears them up, just tosses them in the air, so I'm not going to post pics. At day camp, they say she likes to play with a boney ball, which I think I may buy for her. It's a small ball with a nylon bone through the ball with each end of the bone sticking out of the ball. I really would like to see her play with toys more.

Jasmine loves to play with her tennis balls...she knows where they are a ALL times! No pictures because they are destroyed by her on a regular basis and end up in the trash! Every night,she must sleep with a tennis ball and her second fave...a kermit the frog squeeky..she must love him...he's still in good shape!

My two love to destroy their toys, they don't last too long in our house.  We have to put them away for some peace/downtime, otherwise Radar will not stop.  During my peaceful moments Radar gets creative and will play with a sock, the "snowball towel" that hangs near the door or the lint on the floor.  :confused:

• Like 1

Keira doesn't play with toys much,but if she wants me to play with her,she will grab my shoe, hold it staring at me as if to say, you better rescue it. :devil:

• Haha 1

I tend to name all the toys, don't know why.  We've gone through Foxy Lady, Pepe Le Pew, Ellie Phant, Gary Gorilla and Cowardly Lion.  I think it is hysterical when my husband actually calls them by their made up name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All of Addie's toys get very creative names. Like Monkey and Snake and Pig and Beaver. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woof!  Eli here.  My first favorite was a de-stuffle-ized moo cow owned buy my predecessor, Lucy the Airedale.  Loved that thing until the Alpha B bought me Raccooney from TJ Maxx.  Moo cow is still around but she's no Raccooney.  The only other toy I am remotely interested in is a stuffed red blood cell from the blood bank.  Raccooney is mostly destuffled.  The squeaker is intact in the tail.  I'm leaving it because the Alpha  B seems to get some sort of kick out of squeaking it when I let her play with it.  Uprights are easily amused, right?  I have no use for the other toys the AB has bought me.

Woof!

Eli

• Like 1

All our toys have their names preceded by "Mister".  Mr. Snake, Mr. Piggie, Mr. Sheep, ad nauseam.

Our best one so far is the remnant of Mr. Sheep.  You see, only the cloth face is left, but he's still

a viable toy.  So his name is "Mr. Sheep Face". :)

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Maisie's mission in life is to destroy every toy I get for her.  If it has a squeaky item inside, she will rip it to shreds until she gets it out of there.  She likes tennis balls but rips all the yellow fuzz off of every ball she has......I so wish I could get her a toy that she would keep, but I do not think that will ever happen. :crybaby:

• 1 month later...

One of Nikki's Christmas toys bit the dust today. The duck got decapitated and gutted. Oh well. At least he still loves his toys. Adorable pictures, everyone!

post-7209-0-23941200-1395338048_thumb.jp

Edited by Lupinegirl
  • Like 1

Unfortunately toys don't last very long with Charlay.  Most are shredded inside of a week or two.  I should see if I can round up the "carcasses" and take some pics.  I was hoping that he would have a favorite from when he was a puppy and still have it as a grown dog, but nope. 

One of many toys handed down from her cousin Jock. His parrot is one of her favourites...it makes an ungodly squawk!

post-4010-0-72859200-1395802836_thumb.jp

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

What a great picture of Rosie

Addie has two blankets that were passed down from the Maltese I lost in 2009 and it brings me a lot of happiness to see her enjoying them. Feels a bit like I have them both with me. Which is nice, since I'm certain Addie and Autumn would have been mortal enemies.

• Like 1

Earlier on this topic I'd said how Angus tears up all his toys. He has nylabones and a 'blankie' that he drags about and decorates with holes here and there. He has several balls and we play quite a bit with them. I don't usually leave them with him after our games for fear he'll tear bits off them

However yesterday was different. It was a sunny warm (31F that tells you something about where we live!) day and we went for a good walk on the Game Lands where he could run free. Boy did he love that. Played with the jawbone of a deceased deer, noticed bears must be awake again as several signs required long sniffs, checked for rabbits and ran for the sake of running.

In the evening we played ball like we often do. After a shorter while than usual he was ready to quit. Jumped up on the sofa where I put his blankie, quick made a little bed put his ball beside him and fell asleep. I didn't have the heart to take his ball away just then. So here he is bless him - tired out. Such a rare occurence!

c86b4889-b36b-43bf-b4d1-82e6928772fb.jpg

• Like 4