CairnTalk

Debra P

Debra P

Hello to everyone! Been reading all the posts for about a week and thought I would introduce myself and Taffy. I adopted Taffy this past Saturday. We live in the Louisville KY area. Taffy Is a 9 year old (that's what the previous owner said) that was surrendered for adoption due to the health reasons. Previous mom said she was pure Cairn but I don't know. She weighs 23 pounds which I've read here isn't uncommon. She is such a well behaved lady. Not too energetic in the house but you get her outside she comes "alive". If those squirrels only knew how lucky they were.

She is adjusting well to her new home and we have found a local groomer who hand strips Cairns and Westies, After reading horror stories here about their babies being shaved I dug in and located someone familiar with the breed.

She is going to be a wonderful companion and I look forward to giving her the best home she can have. She has already made my life brighter. This forum will be a great place to learn and hopefully develop new friendships.

I've uploaded a few pictures. All were taken the day I brought her home. Will upload more once she has been to the groomer but as she looks now I think she fits her name...LOL

post-7125-0-38357900-1381856185_thumb.jp

post-7125-0-57943800-1381856212_thumb.jp

Oh my, this brings back happy memories of our first Cairn which we rescued from the local Humane Society many years ago--she was six years old at the time and like your Taffy, was a well mannered little dog who, over time, became the perfect companion dog and fostered a love of the breed that we continue to enjoy today.  You are fortunate to have had the opportunity to rescue this one.

Sounds like you are having an exceptional experience with Taffy which bodes well for the future.  She sure is a pretty thing, wouldn't worry about the size, 25lbs. is not unusual in a Cairn and Taffy sure looks like a 100% Cairn.

Welcome to the Forum, keep us posted with words and pictures--who knows how many prospective Cairn rescuers come here to check out the breed before making the committment to adopt one of these wonderful little dogs--your experience will be valuable to them and to all of us.

I will put up a picture of our dear Tootsie in hopes that her Cairn spirit goes out to your Taffy, who hopefully has also found a loving and safe "forever" home.

portrait%2520of%2520tootsie.jpg?gl=US

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 2

Hiya Debra and Taffy! Welcome to the forum. Taffy sure is a pretty girl.  So glad you two found each other! :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! What a sweet little face Tootsie has. Thanks for sharing.

Just came in from our walk and having my morning (to me) coffee. Last night was my first night back to work after bringing her home. She was glad to see me this morning when I came home. My adult son works day shift and I work night shift so there is someone with her nearly all the time in which I like. I just wonder which sleep schedule she will adapt to. Mine or his? She did go to sleep when I did this morning. Well. I assume she slept. She could've been laying in her bed wondering how the heck she wound up here.

She has yet to bark at any noise in the house. I have heard her bark only once while out on a walk. Someone on a bicycle down the street rode by, but other than that not much noise from her.

Oh wow. Congrats on your new friend and thanks for giving a rescue a home. She looks 100% lovely and 100% Cairn. Enjoy building your relationship together. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

• 3 weeks later...

She is totally a cairn-beautiful dog. Both of you are so lucky to have found each other. I bet she may find herself sleeping with each of you for a few hours. Congratulations!!!

• Like 1