Sign in to follow this  
sanford

Warning: Vets Warn of New Treats From China Poisoning Dogs

sanford

:toxic:This site has info sent to me in the latest issue of Col. Potter Cairn Rescue News and Updates:   

http://www.poisonedpets.com/alert-vets-warn-about-new-treats-from-china-poisoning-dogs/

Among others it mentions Canyon Creek Ranch Chicken Ranch Chicken Yam Good Dog Treats (Nestle Purina) — FDA has issued a warning on this product, Beefeaters Sweet Potato Treats/Snacks for Dogs, Drs. foster & Smith — exact item not specified in report.

The type of treat most often mentioned in the press is described as a jerky treat, the treats may also be called by a myriad of other names such as stix, chips, poppers, tenders, drumettes, kabob’s, strips, fries, lollipops, twists, wraps, bars, tops and discs.

Also mentioned were pork products (pig ears) and cat treats made in China. Australian veterinarians have reported similar symptoms from chicken jerky treats, as well as several cases associated with “Veggie Dents,” a dog treat made in Vietnam by Virbac, an American company. Virbac recalled one batch of Veggie Dents in Australia in 2009.

The FDA still claims that there is no pending recall of Chinese-made pet treats, even though it has repeatedly issued warnings about the problems associated with chicken jerky treats since 2007.

Edited by sanford

Idaho Cairns

I wish, along with these "alarming" stories someone would include some statistic to show the extent of the problem, i.e. numbers of sick dogs along with the percent of mortality associated with the "poisoned" animals.  It would also be good to see some report that the FDA had tested these treats and found the chemicals to be present.

I am sometimes troubled by what appears to be an anti-China bias in a lot of consumer alerts--never sure how much of it is true and how much is just hype made up to undermine the quality of Chinese products.

Unfortunately, I have no way of really verifying how extensive and how dangerous the "threat" really is to our  pets.  We need specifics and concrete examples--"here is a dog(s) that have died and here are the specific brands that were tested by ... and verified to have...in them".  That would turn rumor into fact for the consumer.  Unnamed vets with unnamed patients at uncertain times is not enough information for me.

Terrier lover

We gave up buying any store bought treat. Carrots, slices of sweet potato and blueberries make wonderful, healthy and safe treats!

MegsMom

In this case it isn't an issue of mortality vs illness, the simple fact that these treats are causing kidney failure is enough to be alarming, be it quickly fatal or causing an ongoing chronic illness. Kidney failure is mostly irreversible, very expensive to treat, and once stricken with it, often life-shortening and a life-long problem.

There has been various private lab and vet lab testing going on for years, and so far no one has come up with an answer of why the treats--primarily manufactured or meat-processed in China-- is causing problems.

Some years ago AUS cats became ill after ingesting vet-dispensed dental treats; the end result of that was irradiation of the treats caused the problems, thus the AUS gov't has relaxed it's stand on irradiating imported pet treats and foods.

Due to the AUS findings, I started researching irradiation effects. Going back to the early research, I found reports of irradiation altering the long-chain amino acids in meat proteins causing a possible harmful "kidney processing" effect of those altered long-chain amino acids.

Unfortunately chasing down the research on this is extremely time-consuming, of which I've been short of lately. It has also led to me needing to understand the amount of radiation units used in the early research and what the current FDA limits are--and that is where I currently stand in chasing an understanding/suspicion that irradiation may be harmful for meat proteins. Other than coming to the conclusion, that there will be no irriadiated meats allowed in this house until I have a better understanding of this issue--because I've dealt with a case of age-related pet kidney failure, and I intend to avoid a revisitation of that experience, if possible.

Of course there seems to be considerable laxity in manufacturing data/records in/from China...wonder what their irradiation levels are for jerky treats? Some of the products do say "irradiated" on the packaging, sometimes it's only on a manufacturer's site, sometimes not stated.

And the FDA testing these treats? Well, if there had been any testing of any consequence happened, you'll find it on the FDA-CVM or AV site. But don't hold your breath at discovering anything enlightening; it's not harming people, so it's not a priority. I take the FDA with a large grain of salt, and feel like they're over-encumbered with 'red tape' and um, private influences. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/default.htm Just put in 'pet treat reports' in the upper search bar.

Here's pretty much everything the FDA has about the jerky treat reports, links to other articles lower: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm334944.htm

This should lead you to a list of articles about the AUS treats:

http://news.vin.com/SearchResults.aspx?q=Australian%20dental%20treats&ie=UTF-8&cx=001363522513979649454:fvluydosptu&cof=FORID:11;NB:1&newwindow=1

Terrier lover

Thanks for all the great information Meg's mum! Irradiation of foods is not allowed in Canada as far as I know and hopefully it will never be allowed !

Hillscreek

The only things Angus has are nylabones for chewing and veggies eg bits of carrots and broccoli for example and fruit eg a bit of  banana or apple for treat/training. Have never bought pigs ears etc.

Well I must confess I use Charlee Treats for training and rewards out walking. They are so small and easy to carry in pocket. I suppose I should find out where they are made - I never looked.

As to human food ...........just as well this is a cairn forum!

LindaMC

I like using low fat string cheese to train my dogs, they both love it.  I also use apples, watermelon, blueberries and other fruits as treats for both of my dogs.  Tess loves all kinds of veggies, especially cukes and lettuce, so I give her some whenever I'm making a salad.  I try to stay away from most store bought treats but have used the small New Balance rolls for training once in a while.