CairnTalk

Thomas Q's at Stumptown

bradl

The team of Thomas and Judith qualified in Utility at the CRCTC specialty this morning. 

Here are go-outs and jumps:

Leather article:

There are a few more on my youtube channel.

Congrats to a great Cairn team! It was fun to watch!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

While Thomas was working at the highest level, several Cairns also earned legs in Novice and Beginner novice, including Quip who earned his Companion Dog (Novice) title.  Regrettably, I have nothing but NQs to report for myself with Dundee and Granger. Oh well, intermittent reinforcement is powerful, and We Will Be Back! In the meantime, big congrats to the qualifiers because they earned it!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

A cairn at utility level is a huge achievement. Congratulations to dog and trainer!

Brad - Dundee and Granger will do their thing when they feel it is the right time for them. Just keep asking!

Lovely go-outs!  Silly boy on the front!  And what a stinker on the scent discrimination...It sure looked like he was going to blow it off.   :innocent: What a fun team to watch!  There are moments of brilliance there!

Congratulations to everyone who Q'd on Friday!

And congratulations for all those who entered and just did not quite have a good day and did not get that Q!  It takes courage to step into that ring.  Especially when you have a dog who can easily make a fool of you  :devil:

I was thinking about you all on Friday while at my soul sucking job.  Hopefully soon I get to come back and play with you.  

Thank you CRCTC for having obedience as a part of your annual specialty.  

• Like 1
Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

My phone ran out of memory, but I was able to snag a couple exercises of friend and training classmate Sharon working with Jimmy in Beginner Novice on Sunday.  If Sharon was nervous she never let Jimmy know... they did very, very nicely together, with scores of 194.5 and 198! (Even with a 198, they came in second to a Corgi!)

Heel on Lead

Figure 8

No video, but huge congrats to Anne Dove and Peebles, who over the course of the weekend earned their BN title in three successive tries ... in their first-ever entries in obedience. I hope they're hooked :P

Awesome. Good job! But we may need to revoke his Cairn license for his unparalleled ability of obeying commands. What witchcraft is this?

• Like 2

Heh,  apropos of that I laughed out loud at this phrase in one of Judith's blog posts:

... twice in as many weeks different judges have disclaimed “He’s a terrier!” about Thomas — once in the obedience ring when he appeared to be vigorously subjecting his scent articles to various scientific hypotheses ...

To qualify in Utility is an achievement for ANY breed, let alone a Cairn Terrier. Kudos to you both!  Pepper and I have come close in Grad Open...In our recent trial, I stewarded in Utility A and had no qualifiers in the class. Utility is VERY difficult! 

Ok...those are miniature labs in Cairn clothing! :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 1 month later...

I missed adding this follow-up... Thomas and Judith qualified the next day too, earning Thomas a UD!  Here's Judith's blog post about the weekend, The long, strange and neverending trip

Interesting read. I sometimes tear up watching the utility dogs. I feel less weird knowing I'm not the only one.

When they get to utility level it is SUCH a thrill. One of my greatest sorrows was my lab dying of kidney failure just as he was ready to compete in Utility. it such a thrill when you get that level working with your dog. You really are so close and such a team. You just about know everything you both are thinking.

Congratulations to Thomas and Judith. A real achievement especially with a cairn! Way to go :qualify:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Awesome. Good job! But we may need to revoke his Cairn license for his unparalleled ability of obeying commands. What witchcraft is this?

LOL! For sure! Very funny.

Oh my gosh, I've done AKC obedience with other breeds for years, but I have to say this....my hat is off to you for doing this with a terrier!!!!!!! Hope to meet you some day!