CairnTalk

Trouble Accessing the Site from Home, but Work is OK?

bradl

Comcast is blocking its users from accessing cairnterrier.org. This is probably because some other site on the same server at our web host has done something nefarious. I have filed an 'unblock' request with Comcast. 

It may help if you file one as an affected subscriber. Here is a link to a form they provide for this purpose:
Here are two bits of information you will need to provide them so they know what you're being blocked from:
This is a situation where Comcast appears to be using brute force to prevent you from reaching a site they feel is harmful in some way.  They may indeed have identified a bad site, but we don't believe it to be ours and unfortunately blocking the IP address of the server does not seem to recognize the reality of shared web hosting, where there are at last count 71 different domains hosted from the same server we use. The site is accessible and  works as normal for other folks who are not Comcast subscribers.

I will close this topic if one of our Comcast subscribers lets me know that access has been restored. 

Sorry for the trouble! 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hi Brad,

Just noticed this post and had already emailed you this info:

I was able to connect directly this morning for the first time in weeks. Hopefully this will continue without further interruption. Maybe I can go back to using my comcast email address for notifications as well as they have not allowed those through for months now.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Sounds like potentially good news...

On the notifications front ... during the last major upgrade I implemented a third-party email integration service (Mandrill) that drastically improves the delivery rate on email. Forum notifications now are routed through a trusted email service rather than coming from our web host. I get statistics on successful delivery, rejections, and hard or soft bounces. For the last 90 days 329 email notifications were sent without a single rejection -- even to Comcast addresses :thumbsup:

That helps improve email notification success rates, but doesn't address providers blocking browser access to our domain  :(

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I am finally able to get on after trying for a week.  I'll save what Brad posted, if I find I can't connect to the site, again.  I've had a lot going on, so have not been on the last few months.  It's good to be back, as I know I've missed a lot of what's been going on with our furry little cairn friends and their moms and dads.

PS Shame on Comcast for blocking this site!!

I'm back!  Thanks for your help in getting me reconnected to Cairn Talk, Brad.  Buffy can now scroll through the postings looking for pics of handsome boy Cairns again!

Thanks, Brad. I am a Comcast subscriber (unhappy one at this point), and have missed having access to CairnTalk.