CairnTalk

SURPRISE-Another recall!

Ivy & Lucy's Mom

I just saw in today's newspaper another recall-Salmonella found in Boots & Barkley, BIXBI, Nature's Deli, Colorado Naturals, Petco, and Best Bully Sticks.

Funny, because there was just a thread about bully sticks carrying bacteria. I mentioned buying Best Bully Sticks because I thought they were ok.  Well, I guess not.

To get all info just go to: www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm340337.htm?source=govdelivery.  Here you can get the lot numbers and best buy dates.

GUESS THE BABIES WON'T BE GETTING THEIR BULLY STICKS ANY TIME SOON!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm.  So, if one buys bulk from Best Bully Sticks, as I do, how does one tell if their particular product is part of the recall?  I bought some just before Christmas time for Freddie & my sister's dogs.  Of 8, I only have 2 left, and nobody's had any problems.  I assume based on the timing and results that my last 2 are safe, but the question remains: when buying in bulk, how can one tell?  Is there a way anyone can think of?

I assume based on the timing and results that my last 2 are safe, but the question remains: when buying in bulk, how can one tell?  Is there a way anyone can think of?

So, for your current supply, you're left with a 1 in 4 chance.  You have a 25% chance something may be amiss.  After that, seems like it might be

a throw of the dice for further purchases.  When buying in bulk, does every item in the bunch come from the same place and time?

(I know there are technical terms for this in wholesale/retail like "lot", "date"...don't know what they are.)

Unless you know the actual person who made the stuff, you're taking incalculable risks.  You can make that argument

about any product we, as consumers, choose to buy, I guess.  Call me a chicken, but I don't want to trust a

product, this particular product, with so much bad press.  Said, with complete care for all.   T.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I assume based on the timing and results that my last 2 are safe, but the question remains: when buying in bulk, how can one tell?  Is there a way anyone can think of?

So, for your current supply, you're left with a 1 in 4 chance.  You have a 25% chance something may be amiss.  After that, seems like it might be

a throw of the dice for further purchases.  When buying in bulk, does every item in the bunch come from the same place and time?

(I know there are technical terms for this in wholesale/retail like "lot", "date"...don't know what they are.)

Unless you know the actual person who made the stuff, you're taking incalculable risks.  You can make that argument

about any product we, as consumers, choose to buy, I guess.  Call me a chicken, but I don't want to trust a

product, this particular product, with so much bad press.  Said, with complete care for all.   T.

I actually went back to the Best Bully Sticks site and checked my last order.  I bought the 12" odor-free sticks.  They're made from "Brazillian free-range caddle".  A large assumption I could make is that they were manufactured (dried) in Brazil as well.  I also pulled the packaging to check for any code stamping: nada.  They use these nice, thick ziplock type bags and seal your order in them.  They have an area for writing content information, but it's blank.  I may be able to call them and find out something based on the timing of the order and when BBS replenished their stock on that item, but that sounds like a long shot.

Given all 8 of them were in the same bag, all touching one another, I'd assume that if 1 were contaminated, they all would be.  I suppose, once these 2 are gone, I'll think twice about buying bully sticks from Best Bully Sticks again just because of the tracability or lack thereof.

P.S. Funny that the recall is for American-made product this time...seems China is good for poor quality control.  Although, the recall does state that no reports of illness have been filed to date...

Edited by lamar1

P.S. Funny that the recall is for American-made product this time...seems China is good for poor quality control.  Although, the recall does state that no reports of illness have been filed to date...

Interesting observation.

Max and Nelly

It's not just pet products. So many times human food is recalled. It is constant any more. It seems every week some kind of recall on some type of food or product. If it is animal food, it's baby food, meet, vegetables, peanut butter.

I would throw out the last two Bully Sticks, I don't know exactly what they are or how much they cost, (we don't have those in Aus, unless they are called something else) but I wouldn't risk it.

Everyone has to look at all the evidence (as much as what we read/interpret as evidence) and make decisions based on that.

I love everyone so much, here.  (Sorry, still up and visiting the loo on a minute-by-minute basis.)

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly

Hmmm.  So, if one buys bulk from Best Bully Sticks, as I do, how does one tell if their particular product is part of the recall?  I bought some just before Christmas time for Freddie & my sister's dogs.  Of 8, I only have 2 left, and nobody's had any problems.  I assume based on the timing and results that my last 2 are safe, but the question remains: when buying in bulk, how can one tell?  Is there a way anyone can think of?

Here's your answer:

Posted on Facebook:

To Our Loyal Customers,

We would never offer your precious family pet anything that wasn’t 100% healthy and safe. Which means we are diligent in the selection of our suppliers. From all the suppliers available, we only choose the most reliable who provide consistent quality.

Our company was linked to a “voluntary” recall of treats from May 2012 to September 2012 from Kasel Industries. This FDA report from Kasel Inc. did not involve ANY contaminated items, only “possibly” tainted products. As stated in the report “Kasel Industries has not received any reports of illnesses to date in connection with these products.”

We’re sharing this information with you not because we believe anything is wrong but because your pet’s health and safety is paramount. And as an open company we would always rather err on the side of safety. However, we ask you to discard these treats if you believe you still possess them. We have tracking and lot numbers on all orders if you believe you might have purchased these treats. Please email bestbullysticks@gmail.com for this information. We will be emailing all customers that could have been potentially affected by this voluntary recall so you will receive personal contact from us.

Please note, this is a completely isolated incident that makes up a minimal percentage of our total product offering. Though there have been zero reports of known health issues we ask that you be proactive and share with us if you have experienced otherwise. Only the following items could have been affected and only from April - September of 2012. Kasel manufacturers zero of our other products and their products were not stored or mixed with any of our other products.

USA made Chicken Jerky in 16 oz. bags only
Beef Knee Caps
Sliced Buffalo Hearts
Pork Jerky Strips
Pork Snouts
Lamb Hearts
Lamb Jerky
Turkey Jerky
Beef Lobster Tails

Again, we share this with you because we value you and your pet. Please share this information with your friends and family. Thank you for your continual business and support. -BestBullySticks

Here's your answer:

Posted on Facebook:

To Our Loyal Customers,

.... -BestBullySticks

Looks like Facebook has a practical use!  Haha.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by lamar1

I think pretty much all treats are suspect. I'm returning to giving a bit of apple or carrot etc for a treat now and then.

I keep this thought in the back of my mind at all times.  I'm never fully comfortable with anything that we don't 'make' ourselves at some level (i.e. carrots, celery, bananas).  Even then, who's to say that the supermarket stockers weren't touching the frozen chicken (or worse) before stocking the produce.

Edited by lamar1
  • Like 2

Looks like Facebook has a practical use!  Haha.

Thanks for the info!

The announcement is on their website, too; although, it doesn't look like a "notice"> right column, very low, and a "An Important Food Safety Update" at the bottom in their site map listings.

You would have to look at any of your manufacturer's Facebook sites to check for this sort of notice. It might well be worth it in some cases, as on best bully's website, they're touting 'like us on facebook' & get 5% off your order'; other manufacturer's may do similar 'come-ons' on their Facebook sites.