CairnTalk

It's That Time of Year Again

_whits_

Snow started falling last night. Not much, only a couple of inches. But the temperature has dropped to 2 degrees (according to the weather channel "feels like -11")! Little Addie loves the snow, but her poor little feet start to hurt and she starts limping once it gets this cold. So I put on her new winter coat (http://www.rcpets.com/rcpets/index.php/browse/category/id/600#main_panel) and her trusty UltraPaw booties. She's been racing around in the yard full of joy as long as I'll allow her to. But I'm far more of a wimp than her.

Full disclosure: unless it's really, really cold like it is now, I try to avoid the coat and booties or else Addie wants to stay out for hours.

How do all your babies cope with the cold?

post-5434-0-00832900-1355111014_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Addie looks very stylish in her coat and booties! We haven't had any snow yet this year. Buffy loves to run and play in it but eventually gets weighed down by all the snowballs clinging to her hair and needs to come in and thaw.

I have been thinking of booties for Demps - he has a heck of a time with his little paws. Addie looks wonderful - I like that she keeps her booties on. Have fun Addie!!

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Jagger and Eddie don't seem to mind the cold. I remember two years ago we had windchills of -20 C (-4 F) and had to let Jagger out for very short periods to avoid frostbite - if she had her way she would have stayed out much longer. Last year was much milder but even on the colder days they didn't seem to mind. They love the snow. They don't stay out quite as in the cold weather unless we're playing or a walk is involved. We try to avoid the salt on the sidewalks and roads - they do find that to be painful.

I wish it would snow here. It's been wet rain the last week or so, hovering near the freezing mark but not quite cold enough. Last winter was mild and wet and muddy. I'd actually prefer a cold, snowy typical Ontario, Canada winter this year!

BTW - Addie looks adorable in her winter gear!

Edited by jo_

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

Very dashing! Jock always has to have boots put on in our cold climate , or he will try to stand on one leg , looking totally pathetic and not going potty.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Ah, yes. That time of year where I again post the photo of Packy in his winter booties that I made. If you can sew a straight stitch on a sewing machine, you can make these booties. I used the directions here, but I also made a second pair that I modified slightly. They're quite easy and work just fine. I will say that Packy hates them and takes them off every time. Snow, ice, and cold don't bother him. I have to come in well before he does, so the booties just sit in the bottom of our glove, mitten and scarf bin. :ermm: And he looks so cute in them!

Winter2006.jpg

• Like 4
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Would these booties do? :) This was another outfit that I had Demps in trying to get a picture for the Christmas cards. He did look adorable in his little Santa Booties.

• Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I think Addie looks very smart in her winter outfit.

Demps expression in that photo is priceless "what are you doing to me mum?"

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Oh my gosh, that's the best picture EVER!!! Dempsy sure is a good sport. Neither of my guys would tolerate any of that for more than a few seconds. Well, maybe the hat, for all of a minute.) The lights REALLY make it festive.

Thanks for the chuckle - the pictures are great and I just love the little booties. Addie is looking very sporting with the coat and boots and Packy's boots are great - love the color. Dempsy is just too cute for words.

I have noticed that Radar seems to get cold so I guess I will have to pull out the coats. Bailey will go out to do his business but run right back in. Radar on the other hand wants to play ball and will sit outside shivering.

8242248109_2ca9710c33.jpg

DSC01507

Loki absolutely loves it when it snows. It is one of the few times that I have trouble getting him to follow me indoors. Zeus, my mixed breed, puts on a good face, but starts shivering if he isn't walking...or playing.

Who rescued whom?