CairnTalk

Looking to Adopt in Central California.

andre1002

So, we recently lost our cairn mix to old age and it has definitly left a empty feeling in our home :( .. The wife and I feel that we are now ready to adopt a new pup but we are having a real hard time locating one. A friend of mine told me about this wonderful forum you have here and I figured this would be a great resource.

We are looking for a light colored female pup hopefully under 6 months old. Pet quality from a repuitable breeder who will allow us to come to them. Shipping is not an option for us as I belive it stresses them too much so I would lie to adopt somewhat locally. I live in Merced, CA and would be willing to travel as far south as San Diego and as far north as Nothern San Francisco. Last week I called and left messages with several breeders that Ive found on the internet but none have called me back? If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very thankful.

My contact info is

Rob

Merced,ca 95348

209-564-0908

rstefanski@ucmerced.edu

busaboy78@gmail.com

Sorry about your loss of an Old One. :( Senior dogs are so special.

It sounds like you've probably already used the location search of the parent site (example, breeders near Merced, CA).

Many breeders are also exhibitors and travel to shows a bit and so on, so they are sometimes a bit slower (or even a lot slower) to respond than those of us who live on the computer most of the day :P I once had a breeder tell me she rarely returned calls because if someone really wanted to talk to her they'd be a terrier about it. She's super busy so I sort of get why she takes that approach.

We're not allowed to provide referrals or recommendations through forum posts, but you may receive PMs or emails from those who may have a tip or lead for you.

Wishing you good luck in finding a Cairn companion!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Sorry about your loss of an Old One. :( Senior dogs are so special.

It sounds like you've probably already used the location search of the parent site (example, breeders near Merced, CA).

Many breeders are also exhibitors and travel to shows a bit and so on, so they are sometimes a bit slower (or even a lot slower) to respond than those of us who live on the computer most of the day :P I once had a breeder tell me she rarely returned calls because if someone really wanted to talk to her they'd be a terrier about it. She's super busy so I sort of get why she takes that approach.

We're not allowed to provide referrals or recommendations through forum posts, but you may receive PMs or emails from those who may have a tip or lead for you.

Wishing you good luck in finding a Cairn companion!

Thanks Alot. Yes Ive already used the breeder search and called the ones in closest proximity to me....I guess my most prevlant question is are Cairn's always as difficult to find as they are right now.. Im not in a rush but, I have been searching daily and havent found a single dog?? Oddly enough our last Cairn (Smeagol) was a stray when we found her many years ago. Now when Im looking for one I cant find any. .lol Thanks again for responding so quickly.. :)

Welcome! Have you tried contacting any rescue groups or shelters? Many of them work together and, if they don't have a Cairn but know of someone else who does, they will often be happy to set something up. The Colonel Potter Cairn Rescue site may also be a good place to look.

Smeagol is an excellent name for a Cairn, by the way. Love the Hobbit tie-in.

Thanks for all your help. We found our new baby she is a 4 month old brindle female and we have named her Daisy.. Had to drive several hours to get her but I believe she was well worth the time..

http://youtu.be/8U4D2w7eWgM <-- here is a link of a video of her we recieved form the breeder before we adopted her... She already sits, lies down, and fetches very well. No if only we could get her to PeePee outside a little more frequently :/

Edited by andre1002

Well that was so much fun I had to watch it twice! She sure has that "sit!" thing down! Really pretty colored dog that looks well conformed. I would say you found a winner there. I know it seems like it takes them forever to learn to go outside but Cairns are quick to catch on so long as you are quick enough to recognize her "potty signals" and respond immediately. I have always had good luck by making every backyard pee or dump akin to a New Year's Eve celebration with much praise (over the top praise), much hand clapping, squealing with delight, jumping up and down, and all of it focused on her going in the grass--the neighbors will think you have lost your mind but the dog will think she has conquered Everest for you and that is what you want. Just watch her carefully and when she looks ready whisk her outside and then begin the show when she goes.

• Like 1