CairnTalk

call your council person

Scruffys Mom

Hello my friends, I write with sadness, but importance. A few days ago, my home was robbed. When the police called me, my 1st question was "what happend to my dogs". The officer responded "we have them separated". I rushed home only to find that the police had shot my 14 year old lab, Sugar, in the head, and had kickd my 13 lb Scruffy like a football. The police arrived 20 minutes after my alarm sounded. the back sliding glass door was wide open. Obvious to anyone the bad guy was no longer on teh premis. My lab was shot for no reason. My point is that in my city, Longwood, Fl., this is police protocol. TX and CO have made huge efforts to stop police from shooting family pets. I am so saddend, it is beyond words. If one good thing can come from my Sugars death, it would be for people to stop this insanity by police. My surviving pets are well as I am sure you are concerend. Thank you and love your pets

• Like 1

I am so very, very sorry and cried when I read this. It is unbelievable.

I am absolutely in shock. WHAT PROTOCOL? Why on earth is it protocol to shoot a family pet when they are investigating a robbery? And why would they kick Scruffy?

You poor thing. What an awful thing to go through. I would sue the police. I swear to God I would. Did they think the lab would attack? An old lab? Are they goddamn idiots? I am really upset!

My heart goes out to you. :(

• Like 1

They don't realize that family pets could be traumatized by a home invasion and abused by the robber? That when the next person came in, they might try to protect themselves, even if it is the police? Wow, perhaps their protocol needs to be re-evaluated. I'm very sorry for you and your family.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

The police chief informed me that if any dog, does not matter the size, shows any signs of aggression towards an officer, thy shoot to kill. He rationalized it by previous officers who were out on workmans comp due to dog bites. Scruffy and Spanky, my 2 Cairns are actually the most fierce protectors. I am grateful they are still with me, but am in deep grief over Sugar and am afraid of another incident. I am now more afraid of the cops than the bad guys. The irony is, the burglar took nothing. The cops took my family members life. As the economy worsens, so will crime. I have a monitored alarm, security lights and 3 dogs. If I had been home, it would not have been my dog who took the bullet.

Shocked, angry and saddened by your story. Hard to believe the cops actually shot and killed your dog. What a terrible thing to happen - so very sorry. Thank goodness your cairns are safe.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I am afraid that most of us in the Appalachian Mountains do not have a very good opinion of cops, that's why we are so well known for clinging to our guns and Bibles! At the same time there are a few, (very few good Cops) that have to deal with us because of the very many bad ones that we have had to deal with in our area. Not too long ago a cop chasing a guy (on foot) through peoples yards he jumped over a fence and into some ones yard chasing this guy and shot someones dog on their porch because it growled at him. I know they sued but we will never know how it turned out.

This is sickening, and what's worse, I think it's becoming more common. While I can understand an officer's need to protect himself, shooting to kill is overboard. There are other methods to bring someone/something down (stun gun?). I'm sure you are still reeling from it all. I hope you can get some comfort from Scruffy and your other critters.

What a horrible thing to happen and it makes me really glad that in UK the Police are not regularly armed! It just find it astounding that this could happen.

Good to know that the cairns are OK but so sorry that they killed your lab!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

How awful! I am so sorry for your loss. We look to the police for protection not to come into our homes and kill our pets. There has to be something else than can do rather than shoot to kill. I will be looking into our towns policy.

We don't think about what would happen if the police or firemen have to break into our homes while we are not at home, but my dogs would probably end up in the streets. I doubt they would worry about letting the pets out. All of this is very disturbing.

I am so sorry to hear this, my heart is breaking for you. How terrible and unnecessary, what a waste. Being burgled is bad enough to deal with without this heartbreak on top!

I am from the UK like Josie&holly and sometimes I wish our police were armed because we are far too soft with our criminals in this country. but this beggars belief!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Absolutely horrific on so many levels. My heart aches for you. May Sugar rest in peace, and the rest of you heal from this tragic experience.

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

It seems there is no compassion anymore - no respect. Not only in the cop world, but I see it in the simple acts between people too. Those cops can have huge egos and a lot of aggression. So sorry for poor sugar and your loss. Give Scruffy a big hug and the others too. I am sorry you all went through this.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Hello my friends, I write with sadness, but importance. A few days ago, my home was robbed. When the police called me, my 1st question was "what happend to my dogs". The officer responded "we have them separated". I rushed home only to find that the police had shot my 14 year old lab, Sugar, in the head, and had kickd my 13 lb Scruffy like a football. The police arrived 20 minutes after my alarm sounded. the back sliding glass door was wide open. Obvious to anyone the bad guy was no longer on teh premis. My lab was shot for no reason. My point is that in my city, Longwood, Fl., this is police protocol. TX and CO have made huge efforts to stop police from shooting family pets. I am so saddend, it is beyond words. If one good thing can come from my Sugars death, it would be for people to stop this insanity by police. My surviving pets are well as I am sure you are concerned. Thank you and love your pets

I feel your sadness, shock and anger! Shame on the police, and shame on society for sanctioning this approach. How humans view and treat

nonhumans always infuriates me. Please take care of yourself and your family. You are in our prayers.

B'Shalom.

The Wilk Family

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

:hug: Very very sorry for your loss.

Very disturbing. I feel you have been victimized twice. First by whomever broke into your home & then by the agency that is charged with protecting you. Upsetting & sad situation. So sorry.

• Like 1
Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Expose them. Talk to your local newspaper. Call the local news stations. YOU are the victim. You were victimized two-fold. First by the burglar, then by those who are supposed to "serve and protect". I am so angered by this.

I live not too far from you on the West Coast in a county that's law enforcement leaves a lot to be desired, which seems to be the norm in small town Florida.

You have my heartfelt sympathy.

• Like 1

So sorry for what happened, doesn't seem right that you got robbed, then one of your precious pets lost it's life from a cop..

I think maybe the lab was aggressive towards the cop as in trying to protect your home because you just got robbed? (The robber might have terrified the dog as well) If so, the cops have every right to protect themselves. But unless you have any security cameras setup, theres unfortunately nothing you can do to get justice. 95% cops are good people, I believe your dog was just protecting your house, your dog did nothing wrong in my opinion and it's a shame it lost it's life.

I do believe though that the laws vs a law enforcement officer with a aggressive dog really need to be looked at it...

I have seen very bad videos on the internet where dogs do attack and jump on police, and bite them/etc/etc (Mostly pitbuls). I have never heard of a LAB Though, so that makes me think the cops that handled this situation are very egotistical.

In any event, sad story and I wish you the best...

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

i am absolutely outraged for you. unfortunately there is an epidemic of police attitude in this country that promotes a tolerance for poor training and an ideology of "police security first," even though the whole purpose of the police is to put public safety first, not their own safety. i am so sorry that you and your little loved ones have ended upon on the front lines of a tragic, improper struggle between the public and the police. i pray for scruffy's full recovery, and that you will find some solace somehow.

I just had to come back to this thread. I was thinking about this all night. I have told all my friends about this and they are as horrified as I am. I agree with Tuesday. Call the newspaper and your local news station. This is utter :censored:!

How did you know Scruffy was kicked? What was their reason for kicking him? Is that part of their protocol as well? Is he injured/did he have to go the vet? Where was poor Sugar? Did they leave her in the house or what? I am so very angry and again am so very sorry. My heart goes out to you.

You and your poor family. I'm very sorry to read this and angered by all of it. Where has common sense gone? What a tragic loss and trauma to have to deal with. Ashamed that things are coming to this. Lack of real training and common sense along with less educated people with inflated egos. I'm very sorry you and your family have to deal with all of this, anger and a broken heart. Praying for your family today and scruffy. So hurtful and sad.

A sickening act. I would call your local news stations , report this horrendous act and have them broadcast it. That should get the attention of the animal rights groups!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

OMG, I am so sorry for you, Scruffy, Spanky and Sugar; hopes for healing go out to you all. I can think of no other words to offer, except a very heartfelt thank you for alerting us to this shocking 'protocol'. Unfortunately it appears our trust needs to be carefully mitigated for even the very people who are supposed to protect us.

No mildly intelligent robber would stick around for 20 mins after an alarm goes off--the police arrival time, logic and protocols, absolutely need re-examination, in light of the initial poor response time. Apparently they need to enact a protocol of having AC on the scene as well, or officers trained in animal subduing--I would be far more understanding at even finding mine subdued by choke poles, than to find out they had killed or kicked one.

Admittedly, I crate/restrict mine any time I leave the house (one because of his psychological problems) but my primary fear had been in case of fire, but this puts a new twist on my reasoning for crating/restricting--although apparently it could make no difference if a restrictive barrier were opened/removed. I suppose crating will now exclusively be my choice-- as protection for my family member "properties".

I feel your loss and outrage and wish I could say something that would make it better, but there's no "better" in this situation. I agree that you should call the local newspaper and expose this atrocity. Regardless of any officer's previous bad encounter with a dog, the police should never shoot first and ask questions later.

I don't know the protocol in our police department regarding this type of situation; I do know that our police force has a good reputation for catching and prosecuting people who abuse animals. I would hope that they wouldn't take such unnecessary action if I was ever the victim of a home invasion.

Unbelievable.