CairnTalk

Precious Moments

_whits_

Addie's teenage rebellion continues. She's become very, very clear about her personal space needs. I have to be in the same room as her, but I can not touch her unless she approaches me, or else she darts off and hides under the furniture. I still get my morning cuddle (it's really her demand for a full body massage when she wakes up) and treasure it, but I'm not getting as much cuddle time as I'd like anymore. So two recent moments have really been precious.

Last week, Addie and I were staying in a hotel. She got up at an unacceptably early hour when she heard someone in the hall. I couldn't get her to go back to sleep. So I fed her and then cuddled up under a blanket on the couch and tried to get some more sleep while she played in the room. After a few minutes, she starting bumping me with her nose. I was sure she was going to force me to get up (she enjoys dragging the blanket off me and barking until I get up). I shifted to my side and told her "ok Addie" and started to get up. The next thing I knew, she jumped on the couch, snuggled her body against my chest, and fell asleep with her head on my arm. We slept like that for over an hour.

Yesterday, I brought Addie home from daycare. She's still quite rowdy, so the facility has started testing her in the medium dog playgroup (small labs, bulldogs, spaniels, etc). She's loved it, but has been a lot more tired when she gets home. So last night I was holding her for a moment, thinking she'd kick and squirm to be let down. Instead she fell asleep in my arms

These moments have been so wonderfully sweet and I know I'll cherish them for a lifetime. I still have memories cuddling in the grass on summer days with my JRTs as a toddler, and I'm doing my best to hold on to as many memories of the Maltese I lost in 2009. Bless our babies for giving us so much love.

post-5434-0-45392100-1351226372_thumb.jp

• Like 7

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Ooohh,, That is the most adorable photo! That one deserves to be printed on the highest quality photo paper and put into a frame!

I have a suggestion you might try turning Addie around in her keeping her distance. My wife and I turned Attila into sort of a lap dog by simply having a bowl of treats next to our seat and pulling one out every day maybe more than one time, and calling him. He's jump up in our lap and get a treat then we'd praise him. He eventually started staying there longer each time and eventually he'd come on his own and lay down on our lap or at our feet when reclined. And just recently he's been coming and squeezing in right between my wife and I and laying down! And we have mostly stopped calling him with treats to come be with us, he just does it on his own every so often now. Tessa on the other hand had "lap dog" built into her genes. LOL I think the breeder really gave her a lot of attention when she was a wee pup and had her on her lap a lot. Tessa just loves to come and sit on our laps and really likes laying down half on our lap and half on the arm rest. She also lays half on the seat and half on the arm rest when we're not in the seat. It's really cute.

• Like 1

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

Addie you sound wonderful. It is so much fun when they finally give in and fall asleep, especially in your arms. Addie definitely has a cairn personality. Looking forward to reading more about Addie.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

That is a very lovely picture.

Holly has moments when she will cuddle up to me but tends to not want a fuss made of her by me if someone else is around! But she is fairly independent but ar same time likes to be near me.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

What a sweet, wonderful picture! Addie is so cute! Bear is not a lap dog but my kids get so excited when he graces them with his presence on the couch or on their beds. Maybe we will try Demi's suggestion. Our other cairn was very independent as well, but like Addie he was always close by just preferred his own space. Maybe Addie is gradually changing her ways. I hope you have more "precious moments" together!

Cherish the moment! What a wonderful picture, I would definitely frame this one!

I have two cuddle buns - they won't lay on us but they will curl up next to us on the sofa for the night.

Scruffy has his independent head on a lot of the time but 2 or 3 nights a week he will snuggle up to me on the sofa and I really love these times. That is a lovely photo of you both :)

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

So great you were able to capture that moment...beautiful picture. Maybe Addie will change...ours are becoming more and more cuddly as they get older.

Edited by jo_

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg