CairnTalk

Sweet potato pie

Dempsy's Mom

OK. Between our fall house cleaning chores - Demps and I whipped up a sweet potato pie. He had a little sweet potato before I put all the spices in - and he stuck right by me in case there would be more.

Here's the deal - I did let him lick out the bowl - I hate doing that - it bugs me every time I do it, which isn't very often. I bleach the dish when he is done. It is just lazy on my part - he has his little bowls and all I have to do is go over and scrape into his bowl. But there isn't much to scrape. How many of you are guilty of this? And does it bother you? Do you bleach when their done? I love Demps, but I really don't want to share to many germs.

PS - he enjoyed himself immensely.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I do this, but it doesn't bother me. Dish soap and hot water takes care of the germs just fine. I use bleach sparingly as it is very harsh. My Mother on the other hand is a bleach fanatic, My Mom does exactly like you if she lets their dog lick from a bowl.

Guilty :confused:

Last night we baked a chicken, and carved it on the cutting board. Hubby takes carving board outside, leans it on the step from the living room to the lanai, and lets Murphy clean it off.

Murphy is spoiled.

(not a bleach fan much either. hot soapy water for me)

We don't actually give any bowls to the dogs, but occasionally I catch one or the other licking the plates or bowls in the lower shelf of the dishwasher...and I just let the dishwasher do the cleaning.

Demps has a very very indulgent mommy!

It doesn't bother me at all to let the furkids lick off a bowl or plate. It goes in the dishwasher anyway. (Plus, I figure I've already exposed myself to all their germs through kisses.)

I don't usually, simply because I don't want her thinking that whatever is in our bowls/on our plates is fair game for her. But very occasionally I have let her lick something off a plate or bowl.

Our dogs pre-wash all our plates and bowls when applicable. There would be a mutiny if plates went from the table to the dishwasher without passing the floor. The dishwasher takes care of sterilization. In twenty years no human in this house has gotten the mange, rabies, or any other canine specific illness.

• Like 2

Every morning Luigi goes on a 4 mile hike with us. We come home, I fix breakfast, cut one turkey sauage in half, put it on a separate plate, a dab of honey next to it. When we sit down to eat Luigi gets his snack (set on floor, not on table!!). He has a wicked sweet tooth, thus the honey. So am I the worse one here???

This has been standard operating procedure since the second week Addie was home. Addie considers herself an integral part of the dishwashing process.

post-5434-0-56519700-1351141241_thumb.jp

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

You mean you actually wash them after? I always thought they were clean after the Cairn cleaning process was done and just put them back on the shelf. I wonder if that is the reason no one accepts a second invitation for dinner? Hmmmm :confused1:

• Like 4

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Ivy and Mason are the pre-wash cycle of my dishwasher too. They love licking the empty plates!! I don't do it often but sometimes its hard to say no to those sad little eyes looking up at me. They know I am a sucker.

Lindy ate all of her kibble out of a cereal bowl and her water out of a vegetable bowl. Those were her "dog bowls." She pre-washed a lot of dishes after a meal and my husband and I would *joke* that she had done so well, the dish/plate could probably by-pass the dishwasher. No, I never put a "cleaned" one back in the cupboard. The dishes we used were just as much Lindy's as ours.

Bleach? Never considered it. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

yah, that might be why nobody comes over! haahaahaa

One awesome husband plus, 4 kids, 2 fur babies (also known as dogs!) 2 turtles and one cat = one wonderful life!!