CairnTalk

How to stop fonzy from cheating!

Newman

Okay, when we play catch outside, right before I throw the bone, fonzy is already half way across the field waiting for me to throw it?!?!? He is MR.CHEATER!!!

How do I get him to stay and don't move before I throw the bone? LOL It's like he knows exactly where I am going to throw it and he is so smart he just runs out there before I throw it so he could get the bone faster, I don't blame him... but I want to see him run !

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

Teach him the wait command. Have him sit beside you, tell him wait. Then throw the bone. Then he shouldn't move until you say "all done" or "ok!" But that's the hard part and maybe you won't need to worry about it as long as he stays there until you throw.

(null)

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

Teach him the wait command. Have him sit beside you, tell him wait. Then throw the bone. Then he shouldn't move until you say "all done" or "ok!" But that's the hard part and maybe you won't need to worry about it as long as he stays there until you throw.

(null)

Good idea, i'll work on it today with him

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

I taught Angus 'Wait' but it was hard work. Did it by teaching to wait for all sorts of things. Wait till I give you a treat,wait till I put your leash on, wait till I tell you can eat, etc etc. Eventually we got to wait till I throw the ball.

You can also try teaching him by holding his collar while you say wait then then saying 'get it' as you let go.

• Like 1

I tried to teach Kelly wait and she will on almost everything except her little red tennis balls. She does the same thing as Fonzy, so I started tricking her. I let her think I am going to throw it one way and when she takes off running I throw it in the opposite direction. haha She doesn't run so far before I throw it now. haha

My ex used to say, "How did Molly figure this out?" or "How did she do that?" I'd say, "Simple. She's smarter than you." :D