CairnTalk

Do you kiss/let your dog kiss you on the mouth?

Autumn & Lola

I was talking to a neighbor while holding Lola. I looked at Lola and she licked me on my (closed) mouth and nose. The neighbor wrinkled her nose at this and had a funny look on her face. I've never thought anything of my dogs kissing me on the mouth/nose, and I've kissed them on the mouth/nose as well. I do try to keep my mouth firmly closed when they kiss me, but several times I admit one of my dogs has "French kissed" me by surprise. I just laugh it off. What do I care? I can clean my mouth if need be!

We try to not let them lick our nose/mouth. While Attila isn't really a problem, Tessa has serious issues with wanting to lick our mouth/nose. She has "french kissed" us several times, she has a super fast tounge! I think the breeder is to thank for that... :innocent: She told us she cuddled Tessa a lot, which is why we think Tessa is such a lapdog.

Anyway, it's probably not wise to let dogs lick our mouths/noses. I've heard there are some diseases we can catch from animals like this and if you think about it, they lick their privates and eat things we don't even know about. Then there are things like mouth warts and the list could go on.. It would be interesting to hear what a vet had to say about this.

I've also heard that dogs have cleaner mouths than we do, but I don't know if that is just a myth.

Edited by DemiSheep

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

Zekey has a weird quirk -- if I cough or sneeze, he immediately comes over and licks my nose! I think it's cute. But he is not allowed to kiss my mouth or ears.

Holly never kisses or licks my face. But she does like on occasion to lick or even wash my hand, and it is a strange sensation when she pushs her tongue between thumb and finger to wash my palm!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Olie, in particular, gets his licks in...got a good one today on the way out the door to work when my DH

held him up to say goodbye. In general, he's the fastest gun in the west, so when he's up in

your face you need to watch out unless you want a slurp!

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I get regular face kisses but no, there is a limit and we do not French kiss around here. Reserved, standoffish Scottish dogs ought not be emulating Poodles.

I guess, since I let the dogs eat off my fork sometimes, a French kiss is really no big deal.

• Like 3

The "family" story credits a dog to saving my grand fathers life. He was severely burned in a field fire. The family dog was shut in his room to lick the wounds. This was 100 ++ years ago when I assume medical treatment was not what it is today. Well so the story goes. I love kisses ;)

Man I'm doing it all wrong compared to you guys! I "make out" with my dog every day, morning, noon, afternoon, dinner, night, middle of the night. I'm not the only one either. Its ritual around here. Man will come home from work, sit on couch, gets a "Boo Bath". Go to bed, get another. Get out of shower in the morning, get a 'boo bath' on the wet feets. Any time you have left the house for any period of time ( take out trash, check mail ), you get a boo bath. Even my step-son gets his lol.

I like to kiss him on top of his nose. not on the wet part, but on the furry part. His snout, i suppose. Maybe if he's lookin super cute, I'll sneak a proper kiss on his little leeps. He has an underbite and his lower lip juts out pretty far. Its black, soooooo cute. Irresistible.

I was laughing at myself the other day, at how 'un-germophobic' i've become since I got Boo. I used to be the most annoying person with germs. The other day Boo licked my coffee cup, right on the rim. Its coffee though, and I had no more to brew; I drank it anyway.

Yup, count me with the other cave dwellers...sleeping, eating and getting kissed by a hairy happy Cairn. However I only get a kiss on the face when I ask for it, kisses on the hand however are given freely :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Addie is very picky about giving kisses. I take it as a massive honour if I'm given one. She usually kisses my nose or my ears, but occasionally my lips. I'm firmly against french kisses, but love any other kisses Addie gives me.

I've also heard that dogs have cleaner mouths than we do, but I don't know if that is just a myth.

I think judging one species mouth as "cleaner" than the other is not really scientifically-based. What is scientifically-based is that there are very, very few bacteria, viruses, or germs that are transmittable from dogs to humans a vice-versa. So you're far more likely to get sick from kissing your spouse, kids, etc, than you would be kissing your dog. Your dog might have bacteria in its mouth, but it's not bacteria that's going to get a human sick.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I rarely get kisses but enjoy them when I do. My DH and Sons on the other hand get lots of Kelly kisses. When she kisses them after she's finished she looks at me with a smile. haha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this a while back. We laughed when we figured out what the French translation said. Considering the topic of the post, you probably figured it out too.

post-5317-0-02512000-1350297785.jpg

Reading these posts from the top, I was beginning to think that people may think I'm a scum-ball, letting my dog kiss me on the mouth. :D Until I came to Rawrats post:

I make out" with my dog every day, morning, noon, afternoon, dinner, night, middle of the night. I'm not the only one either. Its ritual around here.

HAHAHA!! Maybe it's because of the bad accident I had years ago, maybe it's getting older, or a combination of the two, but I just don't worry about a lot of stuff anymore. Twenty years ago, if my dog were to accidentally stick her tongue in my mouth, I would have ran to the nearest bathroom, screaming like Lucy after Snoopy kissed her, "DOG GERMS! DOG GERMS!" and gargled with a 1/2 bottle of Listerine. Nowadays? Who cares. "What do I taste like Lola? Cheetos? Spinach fettuccine? Nice, huh? Let's have another one." :D

I like that sweatshirt, Luke! :)

Me either.There's worse things that can get to you than a dog's kiss! I'm happy when Angus greets me with a kiss, a snuggle, a sparkly eye or whatever.

I'm okay with light kisses but not overly slobbering ones or tongue action. Our dig sitter came over yesterday to watch football and Taz made out with her a couple times! I sometimes think he likes "Aunt Colleen" more than us!!

• Like 1

I love my doggy kisses, but not on the mouth please. They are sneaky thou and will get me once in a while. Our westie use to give the best little "Casey kisses" on my nose...so gentle and sweet.

Each morning, while I am still in bed, Murphy belly-crawls up to my face and gives me a big slurpy kiss on my nose or mouth. He does the same with my husband. Since he refuses to kiss either one of us at any other time, we truly cherish his little morning ritual. :wub:

Each morning, while I am still in bed, Murphy belly-crawls up to my face and gives me a big slurpy kiss on my nose or mouth. He does the same with my husband. Since he refuses to kiss either one of us at any other time, we truly cherish his little morning ritual. :wub:

Precisely how Titan does us every morning. It's one of the very few displays of affection he directs us-ward. So we love it.

• Like 1