CairnTalk

Making your own dog chews

hheldorfer

Because of the discussion regarding rawhide chews from China (see the "Kitty Food" thread) I did some online research to see how I could make my own chews for Buffy and Ziggy. It looks like the chicken strips would be easy to make with a dehydrator, but I'd like to know if there are other members who have done this. If so, I'd appreciate any pointers you may have - either recipes for homemade chews or reviews of your experiences with various dehydrators.

I looked through our dog treats in the cabinet and was dismayed when I realized how many of them are made in China. I don't want to continue using them but I need a healthy alternative and the do-it-yourself approach seemed to be the least expensive.

I used to make human beef jerky all the time. You don't have to have a dehydrator, you can do it in your oven on 200 degrees. I have also heard you can make it in your microwave but since I have never dehydrated in the microwave so I couldn't say about that.

I also wouldn't know what to use to cure the meat as the human versions uses salt, sugar, and pepper. Different mixtures but most of them have a lot of salt and sugar. It is easy to do but you have to smell it forever as it normally takes about 48 hours with a dehydrator and not much less with the oven.

You can also do fruits and veggies they are the easiest, slice them thin dip them in ( 1 part water to 1 part lemon juice ) it keeps them from turning brown. Sweet potatoes, I would bake until almost done then slice and dehydrate. You can also dip fruits in honey before dehydrating.

I wouldn't recommend doing fish unless you have a building with electricity that is separate from your home.

Great info, Lynn! I have zero experience with a dehydrator and would rather not buy one if it's not necessary. So, for example, if you were making dehydrated chicken strips, would you cook the chicken first? And should it go on a wire rack in the oven (instead of a cookie sheet)?

Would you use the same method with beef?

I wouldn't even consider doing fish. Too stinky.

I must not have read all through the kitty food thread - but we never buy any food items from China for ourselves, and now I don't know if we've been checking this on Attila and Tessa's snacks and treats.. I know the bullysticks we buy come from Brazil - land of the steer...

I do have a faint memory of us check this - but now we'll be extra vigilant with this reminder.

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

I used the broiler pan than came with my stove ( because I could use oven cleaner on it to get burnt things off of it ) You can do chicken the same way. What you do is marinate the meat in some curing mixture ( over night is best ) it gets the seasoning throughout the meat, then pop it in the oven. I would normally buy my meat ( normally a roast for me ) on sale and I would have them slice it as thin as possible in the grocery store ( most of the grocery stores will slice it for free).

It normally takes at least 12 hours in the oven most of the time longer. I'm not sure if chicken would take as long or not.

A dehydrator is easy to use but can be a pain to clean. I had one a long time ago. I may buy another one because I have kids at home to cook for and can't tie up my oven for 24 hours dehydrating. They work by blowing hot dry air through out whatever you have in it. Anything you can do in a dehydrator can be done in the oven as well.

In the good old days jerky was made in the smoke house. They had to keep hot ( wood ) coals going continuously. We are so spoiled these days. I remember the smell of it when I was little and the taste. Liquid smoke is good but doesn't compare to good old hickory smoke.

Be prepared to drive Buffy and Ziggy insane from the smell. You can smell it the whole time it's in the oven or dehydrator.

Good luck and I hope I have helped.

I found a dog chicken jerky recipe on the net. It says to slice it 1/8 inch lay on olive oil greased pan if you want to season it use parsley, sage or ginger. place in 200 degree oven for 2 or more hours. Store in air tight container 2 weeks but recommends in the fridge. You can store in freezer for 6 months.

• Like 1

I had found a chicken jerky recipe on the net for a dehydrator. They said you could either cook it first or not - I'd think it would be easier to slice thin if it's uncooked. Your recipe looks even easier, Lynn, and I'm sure Buffy and Ziggy would love it.

I know I could just stop giving them chewy treats altogether, but it's a ritual around here: We eat dinner, I do a few chores around the house and take a shower and then it's Special Treat time. The dogs usually herd me into the kitchen and we make a big deal about it.

If you choose to slice the chicken yourself it will slice easier if you freeze it slightly first. Like for a couple of hours.

After all of this food madness I am thinking about cooking all of Kelly's food as soon as I use up what she has. I am tired of the worry, wondering which dog food is going to kill animals next. I cook all the time anyway so no big deal to. I plan on trying this chicken jerky soon. You can also use turkey I may try that also, my DH is telling me if I'm making some for Kelly I better throw on some beef to jerk for him. haha Looks like I'll be making jerky all weekend.

I know the bullysticks we buy come from Brazil - land of the steer...

And the foreign curing process can use arsenic; they don't have the restrictions we do. Just a heads up.

Edited by MegsMom

What a great idea!!! I have a dehydrator collecting dust in the basement. We often cook meat to add to the dogs' kibble but It never occurred to me to make my own jerky.

Great idea...thanks everyone!!!

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

I made sweet potato chips for Molly many times. She loved them! I had a very cheap dehydrator that I bought at Walmart for $30 when I was a raw vegan.

I tried Lynn's chicken recipe today. Wow! Buffy and Ziggy gave it an enthusiastic 4 paws up! It was as easy as it gets. The only thing I didn't do was partially freeze the chicken first - it would have been easier to cut into thin strips if I had done this, but I was too anxious to try the recipe. I left the chicken in the oven on 200 degrees for a little over 2 hours with a little sage for seasoning. I can't thank you enough, Lynn! You were absolutely right - there was no need for a dehydrator. Now I'm looking forward to trying sweet potatoes and beef.

• Like 2

I am glad that I could help you all for a change. I am glad that Buffy and Ziggy liked it. With beef I buy a roast on sale. I think the sirloin roasts make the best jerky they have less fat and aren't quiet as tough. You don't won't a lot of marbling when making jerky it takes it longer to dry out. If that makes sense. If I am remembering correctly fruits and veggies do better on a lower heat about 170 degrees.

Dusted off our dehydrator yesterday and made some chicken jerky...just sliced it and threw it in without seasoning....they LOVE it. Thank you for sharing such great ideas!

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

Well I made chicken jerky for Kelly, She loves it. She got so excited when she seen me take a bite of it. Thats the nice thing about making it yourself, you now whats on it and if it is safe for humans. Me personally I prefer beef jerky with molasses, pepper, and soy sauce you know the bad for you kind, but Kelly loved it thats all that counts. haha

Off to the farm today for some chicken breasts. Can't wait to make these for Dickens as $10/bag for Pure Rewards can be draining to one's pocket book. Since I usually buy the family packs, these will wasily fit into the budget nicely.

Thank you, Lynn and all!

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

I have a question. I Dehydrate sweet potatoes for Oscar. He loves it, but I always wonder how thick or thin to go? Any suggestions on that.

I second that question. Maybe our expert, Lynn, will check in. :)

All I know is that Buffy and Ziggy get much more excited about Special Treat time now!

Well I'm no expert, especially when it comes to dehydrating sweet potatoes, but it is funny you asked because I was searching the net the looking for dehydrated sweet potatoes for dogs and I found this site that said they had cut their sweet potatoes at 1/4 inch thick and cut it long ways but they shrunk a little too much and that they were going to go to 2/3 inch thick next time, and dehydrate in oven 170 degrees and start checking them at 1 1/2 hours could take longer. I hope it works, I'm going to try it this weekend. Good luck!

Well, this is the one I use:

Cover cookie sheet with foil and coat with Canols oil.

Slice sweet potato in thin uniform slices.

Spread on cookie sheet, and turn over to coat with oil.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, turn and bake for 10 more or until golden brown.

except I cover the oven racks with foil, use a spray-on, and bought a mandolin at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $10. Thinner means they dry faster--oh, they do come out sorta brownish all over color, but they do keep a long while. And I just do a light spray when I flip. [Found some 'misplaceds' over a year old, in a zippie, they looked/smelled good, but didn't chance using them.]

Edited by MegsMom

Well I made chicken jerky for Kelly, She loves it. She got so excited when she seen me take a bite of it. Thats the nice thing about making it yourself, you now whats on it and if it is safe for humans. Me personally I prefer beef jerky with molasses, pepper, and soy sauce you know the bad for you kind, but Kelly loved it thats all that counts. haha

Thanks for all the jerky info. I've been seriously considering making jerky for the boys. I see several of you are making sweet potato chips, do you think carrot chips would do well too?

Okay Lynn, care to share your preferred jerky recipe. Good for you or not it sound delicious. :devil: I'm thinking a little won't hurt too much.

My favorite human beef jerky recipe is : 1/2 cup soy sauce, 3TBL molasses, 2 TBL brown sugar, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1 or 2 TBL liquid smoke ( optional ), 1 tsp black pepper, put all ingredients in gallon size ziplock bad mix well set aside. Slice a 1 1/2 to 2 pound roast ( with as little fat as possible) to 1/4 inch thick strips place in ziplock bag with mixture let marinate over night. lay strips on towels and pat with towel to remove most of liquid, lay strips on very lightly oiled pan ( I use olive oil or canola oil ) place in a 170 degree to 200 degree oven bake 4 or more hours.

I use cheese cloth for the towel, I hand wash it with dishwashing liquid and a touch of bleach, and let it hang to dry. I keep it in a clean sealed container to use next time I do beef jerky. some people I know uses paper towels. I some times increase the sweet ingredients to make a sweeter jerky. Most of the time I leave out the black pepper and just sprinkle it directly on the beef before I put it in the oven.

Brad don't kill me I know this is not directly Cairn related.