CairnTalk

Dog Beds...

EmmettsMom

Hi Everyone! I was just wondering if any of you had any dog beds that have survived a Cairn? I am looking for a nice dog bed for Emmett for my living room for him to relax in and everything i have bought, he has destroyed! I even went out and bought an AKC one and it lasted a half an hour.

I really want something comfy for him but durable enough to handle him. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

Emmett's Mom Kris

Edited by EmmettsMom

Emmett must be a little shark. Buffy has never tried to chew on any of her (many) dog beds although she has de-squeakerized ever toy we've ever given her and reduced it to rags in no time at all. Considering the fact that Emmett is still a pup (and more prone to destruction), you may just want to try using some cheap throw rugs for a while until he has grown up a bit. You can always get a nice dog bed later, once he can be trusted.

We didn't buy our Cairns any real beds until they were old enough to not eat them. Until then, a nice little fleece blanket works just fine, as does one of those $4 pillows from Walmart with a flannel pillowcase.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Not even thinking of any kind of bed for young Angus.

He destroys everything except his nylabone and rubber ball. I even take the pad out of his crate during the day as he has destroyed two already and he just turned one! I put it in at night and if I have to leave him for a short time during the day.

I made Kelly's myself when she was a puppy. She never chewed a hole in it although she tried really hard. I bought her a bed recently and so far she hasn't tried to destroy it, but she is 1 1/2 years old.

Jocks never had a "dog" bed...after all why sleep on the floor when the uprights have a memory foam mattress on their bed! And Jock would like to also add that chairs and sofa's are very comfy also :)

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Addie sleeps on a bath towel in her crate because she won't stop destroying crate pads. She seems happy enough.

Outside of her crate, I have massively spoiled Addie with a doggie sofa. It was expensive, but it's the best quality dog bed I have ever seen in my life, Addie absolutely loves it, and she hasn't ever tried to chew on or attack it. She has this (http://www.snoozerpe...sofa-p-143.html) in medium, because it gives her the ability to stretch out all the way. It comes in tons of different colors and it is really very much like a real sofa. The material is very durable and I think it would take a very dedicated effort to destroy it; about as much as it would take to destroy a real sofa. Also, I don't have much space in my living situation and anything I get for Addie ends up being a major piece of furniture, so I like that Addie's sofa looks classy, and not like a typical dog bed.

Edited by _whits_

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Ivy has dog beds but she prefers the couch. I even put her bed on the couch, but she just chooses another spot on the couch. I have given up. She is the supreme ruler...

• Like 1

Although Zekey and Gavin will happily destuff a toy in nothing flat, they are far too addicted to creature comforts to attack their beds. Especially Zekey. If I put a pillow on the couch, he'll sleep on the pillow. Sometimes he waits for me to put it there. I'd like to try a "princess and the pea" experiment sometime, and pile up tons of pillows to see if it's comfy enough for him!

I get catalogs from places that have dog beds... Land's End, LL Bean, Woolrich (?). I wonder if they come with any toughness claims or guarantees?

YOU ARE ALL THE BEST EVER! I left like a bad FurMom because he has just a fleece blanket and an old flannel pillow case in his crate. I will definitwely wait for the pretty bed and get the $4 pillow and a flannel pillow case!

Thanks again!

as much as it would take to destroy a real sofa.

Angus is working on destroying the sofa. I turned my back a minute and he had the middle cushion off and small hole chewed where he could begin to pull out the stuffing!!

Gotta remember to fasten the baby gate to that room.!

Edited by Hillscreek

Fearghus isn't a bed type of dog either. He much prefers to curl up on a nest of blankets. So I just gave one of those cotton ones to him. It is in his pen and he loves to whip it up into a nest. When he's in the living room he'll makes nests of the throws that we keep in there. We aren't going to try and change it. Blankets are relatively inexpensive and I can easily throw them in the washer every now and then to keep them fresh smelling.

Now Fiona is still having occasional accidents so she doesn't get anything in her pen at all. We have the dog bed that we bought for Fearghus that we'll give to her and see if she likes it. Fearghus just wanted to hump it while eating the other end. YeGads!!!

Every time I see one of those cute DIY dog beds made from old side tables I sigh and wish that Fearghus would enjoy one of them. I'm afraid that I'd go to all that work making something adorable and he'd just ignore it.

Cheers,

Tami

Dempsy has 2 beds and 2 pillows and each one has a special little hole in it. :) It is just like an inspectors stamp - "approved."

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Gotta remember to fasten the baby gate to that room.!

Ruffy climbs over baby gates!... I guess that's better than digging his way thru the wall! :devil:

ZoomButt.gif

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Freddie can't have anything too fleecy or soft, and certainly not anything stuffed.

He eats it. Dog beds are not in our near future.

Right now, he's sleeping on a folded sheet in his crate.

Well, actually, this moment, he's sleeping on the couch. Haha.

FOR THREE SOLID MONTHS, I searched for a dog bed for Lola. I measure the area where she slept, measured her, searched online hundreds, yes hundreds of times for something durable, washable, comfortable, warm and stylish (since it's out in the open). I searched and searched and was really ready to give up when I found something. I ordered it, it came, I set it up. She happily slept on it for a week.

She now sleeps on the couch.

• Like 2