CairnTalk

Bonnie's "duel in the pool"!

Idaho Cairns

I am preparing a more complete video of the Dogapoolooza held today but thought I would put up a short one of Bonnie's adventure in swimming. The organizers tried to put the large dogs on one side of the pool and the small on the other but because the small dog side has steps that allow easy egress from the pool, most of the dogs are swum by their masters on the small dog side.

This year there was a group of really enthusiastic larger dogs in the pool--not aggressive just really athletic, in fact some would leap 15 feet thru the air and land on top of other dogs! My dogs are ok with all of that, they are used to big dogs but the following does point up a problem--swamping a little dog when swimming over it while going for a ball. Bonnie got her first experience but shook it off and kept on keeping on.

Actually my two were the smallest dogs that voluntarily swam all day--most of the little dogs were tossed in by their owners and immediately headed for the dry land. Not sure why, perhaps it was the bedlam and the big dogs. Several people remarked that they didn't know Cairns would swim but the proof that they do, and enjoy it, was right there in front of them.

That hitch in the video when Bonnie goes under is me moving to the steps to get ready to do a "Bay Watch" on her--but she pulled it out.

Enjoy.

Oh yeah, those are my wonderful Granddaughters you hear and see on the tape. They were a great help in keeping track of the girls.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 1

Good job Bonnie! Way to show the big dogs that Cairn spirit! I admit, I held my breath when she went under.

A pool near me dog the same thing. It's called Barker Days. Except they drain the pool to where the deepest it gets is about waist deep. Addie went last year but was quite overwhelmed by the sheer number of dogs - there were more dogs than pool it seemed! That, and a fair few of the dogs were very aggressive so it was a nerve-wracking experience for me too.

Edited by _whits_

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Wow, Bonnie did great! I had never heard of pools doing this before. What a great idea. Looks like everyone had a great time. :)

Not to worry, Bonnie got the royal treatment following her trauma, the grand girls brought her back to Grandma's and treated her to a session of "dress up" which, despite the look on her face here, she really enjoys. She has grown up with these kids and I swear she thinks she is one of them--like a really hairy sister or a furry cousin.

She is very tolerant! Notice the other one does not get the same treatment?

Amazing in the pool, she copes with being dunked!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

OMG I nearly wet myself laughing. That video is beyond cuteness.I can't believe she keeps the sunglasses on!

• Like 1

She is very tolerant! Notice the other one does not get the same treatment?

Amazing in the pool, she copes with being dunked!

Oh, Sammi used to get the same when she was younger. We have pics of her participating in the "tea parties." Bonnie's smaller size makes it easier for the gr daughters to handle. And trust me Bonnie loves EVERY second of it!

I love the videos of Sammi and Bonnie. I can't make up my mind which of these 2 videos I like better, Bonnie getting dunked or Bonnie Stylin. I find it amazing what these little dogs will put up with from children and us.LOL

The sunglasses! :lol:

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

These two videos just show how versatile a pet cairns can be. All tough one minute, then the sweetest little pet the next. Bonnie is a great "poster dog" for cairns!

(And I write this with ferocious little T Bone getting his morning cuddles in my lap right now!)

Bonnie deserves some pampering after that ordeal with those big, mean dogs who dunked her. She looked so sweet and innocent. Of course, she handled the whole situation with grace and elegance.

Bonnie is very brave...I am not...I would have leapt into the pool to "save" her. No doubt she would have been embarrassed if I was her owner :)

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh Lynn, I was on my way into the water! Fortunately she struggled up and got her head out of the water, got oriented and headed for the shed.

I think all the Cairn Talk Cairns need a sleepover with the Idaho grandkids. How precious they are with their four-legged pals!

Loved the videos. I too would have probably jumped in in order to "save" my dog. She did all Cairns proud. Those grandkids sure do love dressing up little Bonnie and she doesn't seem to mind the pampering and attention. Good girl Bonnie.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog