CairnTalk

Baked in South Dakota

Dempsy's Mom

Ding, ding, ding! Did you hear the timer go off? Evidently not, because we are over baked. Not quite burnt, but another couple minutes in the oven and you will need to scrape us off the bottom.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up on crops. ... there are none. Dempsy and I went out this morning did our routine and took a tour. Sick, sick and more sick. Now this afternoon - it is a holy bear cat out - hot miserable #!Z*#!!

I just came in from spraying weeds. There the only thing that's growing that still has a hint of green to it, so I thought I might as well kill them too - I now have my swimming suit on and I am taking Dempsy to the lake. I am not sure if it will lift our spirits, but at least it will change the scenery. Hold on to your wallets,cuz' we are in a severe drought and I am afraid there isn't a chance of pulling out of it. Before today I held on to a shred of hope. Piss o' mable. I can't tell you how sick it makes me. Even the irrigation isn't saving the corn. It's just to much heat.

The corn still is green. It's that dried gray green color, just before it starts to turn golden. and shrinking. ............................ on the bright side, we bought two brand new green shiney combines for the big harvest....... and the 35 ft heads to go with them ......................... ok Demps and I are leaving now.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Hmmm...at least the new combines won't get dirty? Um, you'll have plenty of time this fall to take up a new hobby? Dempsey will take up a new career in movies, becoming the bread-winner of the family?

Growing up on a farm in Illinois, I feel your pain. Here in the Missouri Ozarks, even our weeds are turning yellow. Both yesterday and today, it got cloudy, thundered and even had some lightning. And 9 drops of rain. It's too dry for the rain to hit the ground; it dries up before it gets down here. Just spent hours outside watering my shrubs and flowers but since I'm going away for two weeks, I know it's a lost cause. Packy says my time would have been better spent taking him out to fish and swim...

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Oh, I feel for you guys. I complain about the heat and lack of rain, but at least my livelihood doesn't depend on it. I hope your drought doesn't last much longer.

In the mean time, here's a popular tribute to farmers everywhere:

I like seeing young men interested in farming and having fun with it. And it is fun, when weather cooperates. Thanks for the vid.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh no. I don't know what to say I feel so bad for you. We have a farm report on a radio station here. I don't know a thing about farming so I only listen to it occasionally. Lately I listen everyday now and think about you. The news has been grim. From your post I know what the news will be tomorrow.

How are the cows? This heat must be terribly stressful for them too.

You are feeling the pain now. Later we will all feel the pain at the stores. This is bad, really bad. I don't have to tell you that you are looking at it.

I hope somehow you come out of this ok.

We live out in the country and have lots of farmers round us, Such an up and down business.

So far this year the corn looks good here but 75% of the apple crop is lost for this year from a frost after the blossom came out in that early warm spell in March.

Last year the apples and pears were bumper crops and the corn not so good - got planted very late because of the wet, wet spring.

Thoughts are with you.

Sorry, Lori and Demps. It must be so discouraging to put so much work in and then watch it just dry up. I know you've been doing this a while, so you have probably experienced crop failures before, but It must be disheartening.

My sympathies.

It's a tough way to make a living and I feel for you and your family. Even up here in Edmonton it is roasting hot. We had loads of rain prior to this and Alberta and British Columbia in some areas had terrible floods...the weather patterns are just crazy. Hopefully things will pick up .is the corn for the cattle?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I'm so sorry Lori! It's a tough year all around for so many farmers. It makes me very sad. I wish I could send some of our tropical weather your way, I really, really do.

Hugs to Dempsy.

Well .... I ended up in the combine in my swimming suit. :confused: Jim came in and informed me that the wheat is ready and some of it is popping out of the hulls. I said, "Jim, it's July! It's the beginning of July!" So I apologized to Demps for not taking him to the lake and put him out with his pool while I helped get the combines ready and made a few rounds. We usually don't harvest wheat till August - later August. Boy are those combines impressive - raised my spirits. The cab in huge and it has lots of room for Dempsy. We will have the wheat harvested by mid week. (only 400 acres) The wheat is running pretty good and the protein is good - so wheat looks like it was the crop to plant this year.

Some of the corn is for the cattle, but most of it would go to ethanol. :confused: We cut corn silage to feed the cattle during the winter, but we need cobs to make it a good food source. Most of the corn hasn't even tasselled yet .

Demps and I found two more baby calves out in the reeds in the pasture. They are ok. We have trapped a skunk and another coon. So we keep busy. Farming is constant change. You never really know where you're at. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I really wish I could send you some of this rain we are having in UK, we are still waiting for some decent weather. I think the farmers here are suffering for different reasons as some farms are in areas that have been flooded.

Glad that your wheat is OK anyhow and hope the cattle are surviving the heat you are getting.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I was wondering how you were getting along; checking the weather channel to see where the rain has been for the past few weeks. It's unbelievable that you're harvesting wheat already - actually, sort of freakish, isn't it? Nasty, nasty weather this year and not good for anyone. And I'm sorry that Dempsy didn't get his trip to the lake. Poor little guy just has to buck up and do his part, too, I guess.

I have a lot of family who farm in northwestern Iowa and South Dakota. I'll have to send them e-mails and see if their luck has been any better than yours.

Thinking of you often. :hug:

P.S. By the way, I'd love to see a pic of Demps in the cab of the combine. Bet he feels like King of the World up there!

Edited by hheldorfer

Idaho Cairns

I suppose this is some sort of Karmic payback to farmer's for doing so well during the current recession--fate has decided that all sectors of the economy must suffer.

I cannot imagine how hard it is to see all that expense and hard work go down the drain because of the weather but hang in there, this awful summer has to end sometime!

I really wish I could do something to help. I can't even send you our rain as we are not having any either. Had a shower last night and can't say it was enough to help as it only lasted five minutes. I lately have thought about that movie that old movie Catherine Hepburn, and Burt Lancaster played in called The Rainmaker. I would like to beat a drum and have a good rain!

some of the cattle in our area are looking thin as they don't have a lot to eat, and the places that our farmers usually truck hay in from is doing even worse.

I hope the weather gets better for everyone. Try to keep your chin up.