CairnTalk

Pool Lady!

Dempsy's Mom

That's what it feels like lately - Pool Lady. Every morning, about 6, while Dempsy is still snoozing, I venture out into muggy warm temps and start my routine of watering the front lawn. It makes us feel better when just the front looks fresh and green cuz' the rest of the lawn is shot. My routine always ends with fresh cool new pool water for Demps. Then, about 8 I open the front door and yell "Demps! Bottle chores!." I usually have to yell this about 3 times before the half woke up Dempsy rounds the corner in a trot and hops out the door. Off we go to mix milk. Dempsy has caught onto the idea of helping me separate the calves. He keeps two away while I feed two and then we reload the jugs and switch calves. Depending on the temperature, Dempsy usually sticks with me, but once in a while he disappears before we are done. I peak around the barn and I see his furry little butt bounce across the back lawn, full of the delightful anticipation of sinking his furry little body into his cool fresh pool water. There he lays, licking away and throughly enjoying his cool down. He would be so disappointed if I would leave the warm old water in his pool. It would really pop his bubble. So add "Pool Lady" to my job description.

I feel awful for all those who don't have power in this ungodly heat. This drought could be a real sinker. Most of our crops are hanging on, but I fear it's just a matter of time. The farm economy may take a real hard hit. Anyway keep your babies cool!

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I hear you because I'm Lifeguard Lady. By Noon, Packy & Kirby are staring at us, waiting to head out to the lake. DH has to water down the dock because it gets so hot. Packy doesn't seem to care, he lays on it in the sun. But Kirby keeps lifting his little feet, like they're burning. Geez, stand in the shade, Kirb! You're right though, they would be awfully disappointed if we didn't follow the routine.

Hope everyone stays safe in this hot weather. We echo thoughts for those who have lost power right now.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I hope you get some rain. In Illinois the farmers are on the verge of losing the crops too. We had some rain lately but it is not enough.

Malcolm loves the garden hose. I have to water him first then bring him in before I water the lawn.

Hope those in distress get some power soon.

Angus HATES water except to drink.. He has a whole lake close to here to cool off in. My previous dogs would swim and swim to cool off - not him.

He has chance to enjoy the hose. No way! I would buy him a little pool if he would use it.

He scrambles about on hot rocks with his tongue hanging down to his knees looking for varmint of some sort. Eventually he flops in the shade.

Crops round here good so far this year. A change from last year when they all drowned in rain rain rain.

My daughter-in-law and family moved their stuff up from N Carolina to Arlington VA on Friday. Terrible storms. No electric since Fri. Had to board their 165lb Newfie in an air-conditioned kennel.They are sweating it out with her mother.

Hope all our cairn families stay cool and safe.

I'm sure you're the finest pool lady ever, and Dempsy appreciates it very much.

Staying cool here in Illinois but we sure could use more rain.

My guys are pool duds! When it was just Zekey, I dutifully got him one of those little pet pools, but he had no interest in it, besides barking a toy that was floating in the middle.

With Gavin, he too isn't interested in the pool, but he goes bonkers over the hose!! I go over to switch it on and uncoil it, and he starts biting at it, jumping up and down he's so excited! So I shoot it at him and he tries to drink every drop, snapping away, while I try to make sure he doesn't get water-logged. He gets absolutely soaked!

You are such a sweet heart. To have all of that farm work and still make time to give Dempsy fresh cool pool water every day.

My thoughts are with the ones that are without power and or home in this awful heat. We are praying for rain here, haven't had any for 4 weeks. The temperatures have been 100 and above and our grass looks and feels like hay. We no longer have green grass it is pale yellow and brown. Even the clover and dandelions are turning. You know it's bad when even the weeds are dying.

I hope everyone stays cool and safe and gets rain if needed.

Well, I haven't always given Demps daily fresh water - just the last couple weeks - since the weather has turned vicious. Usually it was every other day, but now that it's the high 90's and 100's it definitely is every day. Demps loves being out in the mornings and in the evenings. He thinks he wants to go out during the day and I let him, but he soon realizes that the house is alot nicer and waddles back in the house with his tongue haning out. :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Love it! Was thinking of getting Finn a pool, since he just loves water. I saw these cute little pools that snap together the base and sides then can be re-folded up for the winter for ~$15 on amazon (http://amzn.to/N3nmuJ). Was considering it might be better for storage than the molded plastic at KMart, but some reviews say that dogs chew them up too easily. Any opinions?

Love it! Was thinking of getting Finn a pool, since he just loves water. I saw these cute little pools that snap together the base and sides then can be re-folded up for the winter for ~$15 on amazon (http://amzn.to/N3nmuJ). Was considering it might be better for storage than the molded plastic at KMart, but some reviews say that dogs chew them up too easily. Any opinions?

We've had one of the molded plastic $10 KMart pools for two years now and it's holding up fine. I know the inflatable pools would be a waste - one day with Buffy and they'd be deflated. If the snapset pool on Amazon has any soft parts (and it must, if it folds up), chances are it won't hold up to Cairn teeth.

Those fold ups would be nice for storage. Dempsy has no interest in biting his pool - why would they bite their pool? You really don't need a huge pool - just anything that they can sink their bodies in works. If we are going to be a ways away from home I use a rubber feed tub and put it in the back of the gator for Demps when we are checking cattle. He loves it. He is just as happy as he would be in his 5 ft. pool.

Wind is blowing here. Just like walking out with a hair dryer blowing in your face. Poor animals. The dogs (and us) are so thankful for the house and electricity. The feedlot came and borrowed our semi with water tanks to spray the cattle. The grass in the pastures haven't grown in two weeks. ? ? Here we go again. Are we having fun yet?

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Dempsy has no interest in biting his pool - why would they bite their pool?

You're right - Buffy doesn't really *bite* her pool but she occasionally mouths the edge (probably to emphasize the need for fresh water). And the Cairn claws can be tough on soft plastic, what with all that jumping in/jumping out/keeping your brother from jumping in activity.

You're too good, Lori - even providing a porta-pool in the back of the gator. Dempsy has it made!

I think Demps believes that the farm, and the gator, and the calves -- and probably you too -- were all put there just for him. And he certainly makes the most of it!

Hope you all stay cool - looks like a really hot week ahead of us in the midwest...

You and Demps make a great team! Loved reading how he helped you separate the calves during feeding. After all the morning chores, he then gets some relaxation pool side - wow! You're a great mommy, hope you got to rest also.

I sure hope this heat wave breaks soon for everyone.

Layla uses hubby's ice fishing sled which we fill with about 5 inches of water, then put in rocks and a few rubber balls. She loves snorkeling for the rocks and it keeps her feet cool. Mind you this sled is kept on the porch which has an roof shading it from the harsh sun.

Lori, you are such a wonderful Mom and sounds like we all enjoy hearing Dempy's life on the farm.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Geez, Lori. In the 80s at 7 this morning already...and heading to over 100. Do you want to come to Minneapolis and fill a pool for the dogs and me? ;)

and bring ice cubes for the dogs and popsicles for me!

Demps is always welcome, of course.

No, really, I think we are going to stay inside.

I know Kathryn. It's 91 here and we are all packed up to go sit on the sidelines and watch the parade. I have Dempsy's pool all ready to go. It's really crazy to subject yourself to such heat but hey it's the 4th! ... and we are going to have fun! I am reminding Dempsy and Jim of this as we are walking out the door. Digger looks pleased that she is staying home in the airconditioned house.

PS: Found a dead calf this morning. Born in this damn heat and mom goes and stands in the water - baby never got a drink. I hate that. Makes me mad and I scold myself that I should of been more diligent.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Idaho Cairns

Don't envy you guys with both the heat AND the humidity. It is hot here--approaching 90 degrees but the humidity is in the teens so it is tolerable. Not sure I could take the damp heat anymore and am sure my dogs would wilt in it.

On the radio today they were interviewing a farmer. They talked about what to do for the cattle in this extreme heat. One thing was to bring them in the barn and use fans. I thought about you while listening to the program. You've got Demps taken care of wherever he goes lol.

Those poor cattle though. Sorry to hear about the calf. I'm sure those cows get the best care possible.