CairnTalk

Smarter than a Cairn - this time!

Islander

Yesterday my friend and I took our dogs to a a regional park called Witty's Lagoon - it was a very low tide and we wanted to wander the beach, climb on the rocks and walk through the woods. Because of our experience last year with Gus, skim boarders and tide pools, I kept him on a lightweight 20 foot rope while we were on the beach. This was a good idea as he was clearly fascinated/obsessed with fishing in the warm shallow water. There must have been lots of fish around, as the herons, eagles, kingfishers and seals were all busy! All was well until we left the beach and started walking along a trail above the estuary. I decided to give Gus his freedom a little too soon!!

He immediately took off down a steep cliff and started running around in the mud flats - his little carrot tail quivering like mad as he hunted baby fish and water bugs. He didn't even glance at us when we called him. However, he was following us through the water as we walked on the trail above. We reached a place where we could get close to the water, but there was no way we could get to him through the mud. And even if we had been able to, we knew he would just take off as soon as he saw us coming to round him up.

We thought we might have to wait him out - I wonder how long that would take! - when my buddy got a brainstorm. We started looking at the long grass and yelling, "It's a snake!! Look, a snake!!! Snake, snake!!!!" The little brat's head wheeled around immediately and he came bounding out of the water to see what was up...and I grabbed him! He was covered in mud and algae but still quite pleased with himself.

We were pretty pleased with ourselves too for outsmarting him - this time!

Gus has the best adventures. It's good that you could capitalize on his *love* of snakes and get him back. How long did it take to get all that mud and algae out of the little devil?

Oh Gus, your a kill. I think the saying is "Curiousity killed the cat. ... not caught the cairn." .... Snoop dog. Cute story.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Eli's story was fun - it gives us such a great feeling, an "On top of the world feeling" when we out fox our cairns. We like dealing brain games don't we.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Great job. I am glad I'm not the only one. It seems outsmarting these Cairns is becoming our lifelong ambitions, and it's not an easy task either. lol

Kelly has gotten off the porch 3 times in the last week and a half. The last time she almost knocked me down the porch steps to get off the porch. I chased her around our mobile home park 3 times (It's not small either and at age 40 not fun) I started getting frustrated as she was teasing me so finally I hollered Mamaws here (she loves my Mom and I call her Mamaw because of my sons) I took off running into the mobile home kept hollering Mamaws here, and left the gate and the front door open and she ran in. Thank God the chase was over. Would it work again? I think not. I'll have to think of something else to use for next time. HAHA!

Yes, we need to be pretty quick-thinking to get the better of these little dogs.

Gus went straight into the tub when we got home yesterday. He was beautifully clean and fragrant in no time.

This morning he got back at me by catching a real snake on our regular morning walk!!

Pictures from yesterday:

post-4576-0-34672700-1339443857_thumb.jp

post-4576-0-92500000-1339443868_thumb.jp

So now I'm thinking, maybe the ideas on this thread could work for improving Ruffy's recall when we are out in the park:

1) Always bring a doorbell with me.

2) Always bring a roll of toilet paper.

3) If these don't work, yell: "snake!, snake!", or "Mamaws here!".

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

This morning he got back at me by catching a real snake on our regular morning walk!!

Good job, Gus! :qualify:

ZoomButt.gif

FEAR THE CAIRN!

When Demps is being a little fart and ignoring me all I have to do is yell "Gator!" and he is running to me with a big smile. Little stinker.

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

If Packy won't come when we call him, all I have to do is go knock on the door (we don't have a doorbell) and he'll come running, barking like mad. Works every time! ;-) Sometimes I can call, "Kitty, kitty, kitty!" and he'll come, too. And of course, pretending to fill the food dish will always get them running!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I have an app on my iPhone that makes all kinds of barking sounds-a whole bunch of dogs, a whine, a coyote,etc..... When Ivy ignores me, I pull out my phone and hit the app with the dog barks. She comes running and it works every time. I do have to vary the different barks because I don't want her to get used to the same bark. I must continue to outsmart her at all costs... :twisted:

My goodness. I didn't think I needed an iphone as now that I'm retired I don't use the phone nearly as much. But maybe I should get one with the dog barks.

Since Angus is in to the terrible 'teens he has started doing various little things to assert himself and drive me nuts. The current favorite is lingering in the porch when we come back inside. I used to just walk in from the porch and he came along. Now he waits and then goes and gets one of my boots, either hiking or mud boot - he likes them both. Then if I'm not looking - and even if I am - he runs off with it rolling his eye to the side in that characteristic manner. He sometimes wants me to come and play tug with the boot and he sometimes just wants it for himself. :devil: . I bang on another door, or I pretend to open the sliding door to the deck which usually brings him in a hurry as he patrols that looking for chippies. If I'm desperate I might do a trade. I try not to do that as it encourages him to go get a boot on purpose for a trade!

I'm always looking for a backup plan! Wonder if they'd let me try before I buy :idea:

Oh and I'm thinking of taking those little angel wings off his signature for a month or year or two!

Edited by Hillscreek

I too have not boughten into the iphone ... yet - really like the idea of the barking app, funny.

So Angus is going to be a fallen angel? I have no fear of that - maybe a little wing clipping from time to time, but he'll win you over.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Well, dog apps, why not? Curiosity compelled me-- plenty for android, too. Interesting there's some that emit a high pitched noise for stopping barking.

With Jock, the word cookie did the trick to bring him in from the yard. For some reason cookie stopped working..why..I have no idea!. What works now is the word snack. Go figure

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I'm glad I am not alone in having to use trickery and stealth to outwit a Cairn. Really enjoying everyone's tactics!

Dogs would not be pleased that we are sharing strategies.

Dogs would not be pleased that we are sharing strategies.

I'm sure they're sharing strategies every time they get together. I swear every time Addie comes home from daycare she has a new way to thwart me.

My various tricks to get Addie to come:

-Open the porch door (works every time, unless she's so quick she makes it out onto the porch and then I can't get her back inside)

-Pull out the treat puzzle (also works almost every time)

-Run around excitedly yelling "moth! moth! Addie there is a moth" (which is embarrassing compared to Gus' much more impressive snake catching)

When all else fails, I have to get my dad to call her. It bugs me every time that she - almost without fail - always listens to grandpa, but has almost entirely stopped listening to me at this point. All because grandpa is the only one that will give her table scraps.

But as I told my mom the other day, I now know how she felt every time I ignored her as a child.

Edited by _whits_

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Mett and Bratt's mom has one sure fired way to get her dogs to come when called - she asks them if they want hamburgers (or cheeseburgers - too early, can't remember) from McDonald's. Apparently, they have perfect recall, but the one thing I remember she said for this is that she loads them right up in the car and gives them their pay off, and she doesn't use it very often.

I think it's saved their fuzzy butts from a couple of dangerous situations before.

Run around excitedly yelling "moth! moth! Addie there is a moth"

:lol:

A couple we know was once trying to figure out how to recall their dog at an earthdog test. Their plan was to use the always-reliable-at-home method of shouting "Flashlight! Flashlight!"

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Yesterday I was thinking of taking his angel wings off his signature but as Ivysmom said they are truly angels at heart.

Angus is still a little devil. He rolled up a 5'x8' wool rug I had just thought it safe to put down again now that he is house trained - that's a big rug but he has big teeth and strong muscles -

But he has also entered a new fear period and some things he got over being afraid of he fears again. Difference now is he believes me when I tell him it's OK and we walk by whatever it is slowly and carefully. Bless him. His angel wings are safe. :halo:

One more thing he is never mean however naughty! Life's a game for him.

We can't help loving them no matter what. :lol:

I think that is why we love this breed so much-they have a naughty streak but it is so cute when they do something they shouldn't and come running for forgiveness. Life is a game for a cairn. They are always trying to see what they can get away with. Thank goodness for this forum, because I would truly think something is wrong with Ivy. My last cairn, Jack, did not really pull any stunts. The worst he would do is when I would call him to come in, he would freeze in his steps and I would go and pick him up. That is it!!! Ivy is a whole other story. It has become a battle of the minds around here-who can outsmart who?? She seems like so many of your cairns. No matter how ornery she is, she is so full of love. We just love her to death..

• 2 weeks later...