CairnTalk

Expecting

Jack

Well it happened, a six month old female in need of a home has presented herself to my wife and I. She will be coming to join Jack in our family on June 18. She is a pretty little girl and we are looking forward to the addition. She will be going to the vet as soon as we get her for her wellness check and to discuss neutering. We have never had a female and would like any advice that we can get about the timing of neutering (before first cycle as opposed to after). Any other advice would also be welcome. We are presently on vacation but I will post pictures on Tuesday when we get back home.

• Like 1

We have usually had females and the vet advises us that it is better to have the spay done before they come into season. I am wanting another cairn, but right now that is not possible. Enjoy your new girl!

Thanks for the congratulations, we have one picture, I wil post it when we get back to the motel (we are on vacation). So far the only name on the short list is Belle. We've gone through several suggestions and Belle is the only one left on the table.

Finally got back to motel. Her is the one picture that we have as promised. We are leaning toward the name Belle, what does everyone else think?

post-5574-0-54142500-1339290966_thumb.jp

She looks like a lovely little girl! It will be so much fun to have TWO Cairns in the Jack yard all the time! Bless you for giving her such a wonderful home. She looks like a Belle to me. I'm excited to see her and Jack get to know each other and grow up together.

I've almost always had female dogs. And my dad has always been their vet. He suggests that girls get spayed before their first heat. The main reason is that if spaying happens before the first heat it almost guarantees the little girls will never get any cancers related to the reproductive system (mammary, ovarian, uterine cancers). If you wait until after the first heat, the chances of developing these cancers are reduced, but still exist (particularly mammary).

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Belle looks very cute.

As she is 6 mths old she may well be shortly having her first season so then you would have to wait 13 weeks after to have her spayed. That is what most folks in UK do as far as I can gather.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Belle will blossom in your home. Make sure Jack meets Belle before she gets home - huge changes for little Belle better refer to the "puppy pie" post. Love her - so happy for you all! Can't wait to hear all about her.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I'm thinking of her as Belle already!

Spaying before six months is what I have done in the past - for health reasons as in above post and also for no accidental puppies!

However I do know that some people say wait till after the first season. But you will have to be able to keep her and Jack separated for three weeks of the season. I know they say there's only a couple of days when they are ready to mate but we've had bitches conceive long after that even on the thirteenth day. So be warned!

Belle is beautiful and will be a wonderful companion for Jack. Jack can show her all his favorite spots and give her a good workout. Exciting times are ahead!

We have learned that two are more than twice the work, but at least three times the fun. She is gorgeous, and I'm sure you are about to have a great time...