CairnTalk

What's in your grooming kit?

KShep

P1010144.JPG

Top Row (Left to Right)

1. Nail Clippers. Bought these at Ross. I have attempted to take a "tiny" bit off the nail a couple of times, but I usually take her to a professional. I'm afraid to hurt her.
  2. Thinning Shears (I sometimes attempt to take a little off the head, rear, tail, and sides)
  3. Pin Brush- Dollar Tree and my least favorite brush
  4. l'il pals slicker- who needs a big slicker? I've had this as long as I've had Ripley and it's perfect for what I need.
  5. Fine Toothed Comb- I like how the teeth get even more narrow at the end. I probably use this the most.
  6. Zoom Groom- These are great! Forget the furminator! You would be amazed at how much dead hair comes off with this little tool. Ripley doesn't mind it either.

Bottom Row (Left to Right)

1. Master Grooming Tools Stripper (I think it's a 16)- I bought this at a local pet shop. It was about half the price of an MCK. I'm not sure what a good "stripper" it is. I've never used an MCK so I can't compare, but it does improve the texture of her coat.
  2. Wahl Cordless Clippers and accessories- I bought this today! Last week the groomer cut Ripley like a Westie and left a skirt. I wasn't having it. I didn't do a terrible job. I'm pretty impressed with myself!
  3. File from my nail clipping kit (Ross). I've never used this and I'm considering throwing it away.
  4. Small (round tip shears)- I use this on the face
  5. A broken Ceramic Nail File- When I attempt stripping, this is what I use. She usually gets grumpy after a few minutes though! (with any kind of stripping actually!)

......and I keep all that in a large plastic tupperware container that locks on the sides!

P1010145.JPG

I'm interested in seeing other kits! As I have said before, I am not a good groomer, but no one can accuse me of not trying :blush:

Edited by KShep

You are SO organized! My "grooming kit" is in a ratty old insulated lunch bag but you have inspired me to clean up my act. The tupperware container is a darned good idea.

The only other things I have are Q-tips and some of that powder that stops nails from bleeding. (Darn - what's it called?) Oh - and some of those rubber finger thingies.

Let me go get a picture... brb

:D ENJOY LOL

Sorry I only got a pair of scizzors : :P

dscf5002.png

FONZY IS LIKE NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MORE GROOMING STOP ITT!!! :D

Edited by Newman

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

Oh, Angus wants to say he has a bristle brush, a small slicker, a comb and his upright's fingers.

His groomer clips his nails and tidies up special areas as needed. She shampoos him now and then with Isle of Dogs terrier shampoo. He LOVES to get wrapped up in a big towel. HATES the drier. Gets hugs and special treat from her.

dscf5002.png

Did you just make that? Impressive! Poor Fonzy. I love his expression.

dscf5002.png

Did you just make that? Impressive! Poor Fonzy. I love his expression.

Yeah I saw this thread and yeah I did :D

Oh, Angus wants to say he has a bristle brush, a small slicker, a comb and his upright's fingers.

His groomer clips his nails and tidies up special areas as needed. She shampoos him now and then with Isle of Dogs terrier shampoo. He LOVES to get wrapped up in a big towel. HATES the drier. Gets hugs and special treat from her.

Haha nice! my scissors are pretty small but it get's the job done :D

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

Great idea KShep. After dumping out my bag and tossing the stuff that hasn't been touched in a decade, here's what I had left. Well, OK the vacuum and clippers don't live in the bag, but both live on or near the grooming table. Neither go to shows :)

bag.png

stuff.png

morestuff.png

yetmorestuff.png

What gets used the most: finger cots, greyhound comb, pin brush, thinning shear, lint roller, and poop bags :P

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

So jealous of your bag, Brad! I wouldn't have the first idea about how to use some of those things, but those stripping knives are cool. What to you use the callous remover for? What is kolesterol?

As much as I love gadgets and whatnot, if I were smart and had it to do over, I would probably not even bother with most of the knives. Maybe the coarse Hauptner as I use it to cut coat sometimes. Some people can use knives like magic but for me being relatively unskilled its just faster and easier to use fingers, even with arthritis. And I don't accidentally cut coat with my fingers.

The callus remover is more or less pumice-on-a-stick. Easier to hold in some ways than a pumic block. I mainly sometimes use it for a little extra direction and grip when pulling around the top of the feet and sometimes tip of ears.

With Dundee I barely used Kolesterol as his head furnishings stand up on their own. I think in general it's supposed to help add a little fullness to the jacket and thinner head and leg furnishings. For me it serves mostly as an olfactory marker of "dog show" -- it's just part of the preparation ritual as it was taught to me. I was taught to use a dab on the head and the lower part of the legs. Other than for a show I never bother with it, and even then it's mostly because I'm so nervous I have to fuss with the dog and do *something* to keep myself occupied. I can only drink so much coffee :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

post-5242-0-57193000-1338926475_thumb.jppost-5242-0-64697400-1338926490_thumb.jp

I don't have a lot but here is my grooming kit.

scissors and plastic comb i have never used, clippers I have only used on the bottom of her paws,

attachments to the clippers have never been used.

human hair brush use it on her all the time she loves it.

disposable gloves are one of my hand stripping tools.

broken pumice stone use for stripping ( took a potty break for my self once when I was stripping her she broke it and ate the other half while I was doing my business, don't look at me I didn't know she could eat it, when I returned there were just a few teeny pieces left of it.)

clippers and dremel for her nails.

comb and brush use these a lot.

Basket to store it in lookes pretty I can keep it in plain site and easy to reach when I need it. I also have a basket to keep her food and treats in. When storage space is limited baskets are a great way to keep things neat and pretty and in the open.

• Like 1

7343174302_52ecde585d.jpg

And cannot forget...

7157969679_bbae366b0c.jpg

Mars Coat King

grooming knives

comb & slicker brush

finger cots

thinning shears and scissors

dremel

small trimmers for ears, paws

Kolesterol (like Brad I never use it - the groomer suggested I get it)

I was too lazy to pull out the grooming table (no picture)

And then lastly...TREATS for bribery.

post-5242-0-57193000-1338926475_thumb.jppost-5242-0-64697400-1338926490_thumb.jp

broken pumice stone use for stripping ( took a potty break for my self once when I was stripping her she broke it and ate the other half while I was doing my business, don't look at me I didn't know she could eat it, when I returned there were just a few teeny pieces left of it.)

Haha! I'm amazed at what they deem a fit snack sometimes! Same thing happened to me, but it was a slice of pizza. Went to the bathroom and half of it was gone!

Looks like the one thing everyone has that I don't is a dremel! I think I'll pass. Doing her nails makes both of us nervous.

My goodness I amazed and impressed at all the grooming stuff your lucky cairns have. Plus you are all so neat and tidy and organized.

Here's an update on what Angus now has in addition to his brush and comb and small slicker. I got finger cots and A GROOMING TABLE. :shock: I was so reluctant to buy one as when I had big dogs they just stood on the floor and other little dogs on a towel on the kitchen table. BUT since I am now trying to roll Angus's coat I need to be fiddling with him all the time (it seems). So I ordered a table and we had a go today.

Wow it does make a huge difference. :D

I'm persuaded it will be worth the expense. I didn't have to get him used to it as he's been several time to his groomer to have his nails done and trim round his eyes and a shampoo. I have some arthritis in my hands and don't want to risk hurting him.

He loves get fixed up. He comes running when I show him his brush and comb.

He stood on the table like a little champ when I put him up there.

And I forgot to mention treats! I talk to him a lot while I'm working with him and give him something now and then and a special something when we are done. :cake:

Thanks to all who've said how helpful a grooming table was in various threads here and there. You were right!

Edited by Hillscreek