CairnTalk

Grooming Tail and more!

Carolinasmom

Ok, I have lots of tools, Mars, stripping knives, undercoat rake, pumice stone, (I have NO idea how to use this but read about it) and finger cots. Ellie's tail looks like a lambs wool duster! She is not keen at ALL about any kind of grooming, (she will sit ok for brushing but runs as soon as I grab for her ears...I have been successful at pulling the hair on her ears but they need a lot more!)

How do you groom their tails? I have tried a stripping knife and it seems to work but of course she does not like it and it looks like it will take forever.

Where do you groom them? I think a grooming table would be nice but we can't afford one! If DH holds her I can get more done but he doesn't have hours and hours!

I have the book about grooming your Cairn terrier from Carolina's days. I would just really love to take her to our breeder and have her show me all of this! However she lives over an hour away. Maybe this summer! But until then, help! (For years, before I found this board, I clipped Carolina...bad, I know. After that I used the mars but also the scissors since her coat softened.) I don't want to ruin Ellie's coat if I can help it!

Thanks!

Here's an old post with some attempt at description:

http://www.cairnterr...dpost__p__63777

I prefer a grooming table with grooming arm and noose. If you have somebody handy to hold the dog, you can put a nonslip bathmat on a nice high table (or the washing machine, etc.).

The tip of the tail can be very sensitive. For non-show dogs these days I usually just use a thinning shear to "tip" it to the right overall length, and then use fingers, knife, pumice, whatever) to pull it down by quadrants to get some dead hair out, and nice taper in. There is not a lot of surface area on a tail, so for a pet I'm not all that concerned about skin health being compromised in that area, so I will often run a shear up the very back side.

If you work from the tip back toward the root of the tail, you may have better luck preserving a taper. The root is easier to pull, but if you get it overly short, you end up with a rope-looking tail rather than a cone.

I'm careful if using scissors on the tail because I can easily see the sharp edges of the cut lines and it spoils the nice Christmas tree effect. Fingers rule :-)

( I drive an hour each way just to get to obedience class most Saturdays! :) )

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brad! The more I try to do any kind of grooming the more I realize that I need to somehow get her used to any of it! As soon as I try to do anything but brush her she tries to escape. She is NOT happy! I don't know if more frequent brushing will help, (she does ok with that...not great but does not seem to "panic" as much as when I try to pull any hair.) Aack!

I need to sit down and take a picture of everything that's in my grooming kit. I'm not that great at it but no one can say I'm not enthusiastic!

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns

I use thinning shears on the tail and I go very, very slow when I do. I cannot imagine even trying to strip my girls' tails.

• Like 1

Just a suggestion: tiny treats given to calm and distract are wonderful. I do this when they are young, and really at any age to get them used to the pull their hair grooming. Also, if someone else could help and give the tiny treats while you pull. Hold the treat so they have to work for it...getting a little at a time really keeps them distracted from what you are doing. :)

Looks like I need to get some thinning shears. I don't have those!

Thanks Shergry about the treats idea. I do have treats that I give once in awhile but it would be a good thing to try getting someone else to hide them in hands, (our breeder showed all of us how to do that so I think my 6 year old DS could handle this!)

• 7 years later...

What is the term to describe the shape of Cairn terrier tail to the groomer? I don’t want it to look like a cigar, but my groomer left Gretta’s Tail looking like that if a German Shepherd!