CairnTalk

2012 Westminster

bradl

Other than size constraints the Peke is probably the last "dog" I would choose for myself. Meaning I can't afford to build an 8' high fence so I could have an Irish Wolfhound as much as I would love to have one. I'm sure the Peke people are thrilled but that pick was just wrong!

I don't like to say this too loud around our terrier friends but I was pulling for the Wire Doxie. She is a lovely dog. Great symmetry from chest to hips, very nice chest, head, carriage & movement. Besides they do have Terrierist in their background.

Anyway, big time congrats to Geoff & Bat. He has done a supurb job with an extraordinary Cairn. Of course we are quite biased as Bat is a half-brother to both our Obie and Pippa's sire Jock.

Now Bat you can go to a great Cairn retirement in a place where you can do all those things Cairns love to do! We are going to miss seeing you on the road though!

I thought the dachshund had a lovely topline. Nice and straight w/out excesive undualation.

ALso loved the Irish...since she just had puppies she was not back in full coat and you could see her really nice drivey movement....she was very nice.

My favorite though was the Dal. He moved nice and was in a great muscle tone.

As for the Peke...just not a breed I can appreciate much..

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

My only comment about the wire haired doxie... as much as I think they are adorable, sweet and gentle creatures... who in their right mind breeds a dog with such a long top line.Spinal injuries ready to happen... and they do with this breed. We need to stop breeding dogs for appearance (in some quirky human’s eye image of beauty) and get back to what they were initially bred for. If you google how doxies used to look and compare that to the breed now, it almost doesn’t look like the same dog! Their backs were way shorter, their legs longer... they were bred to do a job. Thanks goodness a lot of the terriers breeds remain as they were bred centuries ago.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Yeah, I agree, and then go and watch a rerun of "Lassie" and get a long shocking idea of what American breeders have done to the German Sheperds--still something that drives me crazy--I literally cannot watch these dogs being shown thinking about how they have been genetically engineered to "look" like they are something they are not, how they have been physically weakened for appearance sake. Ok. Rant over--Terrier Lover we have to calm ourselves! Liquour used to work for me but I have given all that up--maybe mood music?

Well I didn't watch any of it this year, because last year I watched the whole thing and really really wanted to bust my TV. This year I was smart. I waited for Brad to post the link to the Cairns and only watched that. HEHEHEHE! I saved myself the anger and broken heartedness of last year. I loved all the Cairns they were BEAUTIFUL. I might watch it again. I can't say anything about the other dogs I didn't watch them. I did see the winner on The Five and I couldn't believe it was a dog. At least my tv is still in one piece.

I was hoping the Kerry Blue would do well, partly out of loyalty to terriers and partly because my neighbor has Kerry Blues. It was the Dal, though, that got my attention when showing.

Loki will bark at dogs on TV. He watched, but didn't bark at the Peke because he didn't recognize it as a dog.

Who rescued whom?

I was on Facebook with a friend during the show, and I had just typed, "Oh, come on, people. Please...not the Peke..." when Malachy won. I then wrote, "How does a dog that looks and walks like a caterpillar win?"

In all fairness, my aunt had a little Peke whom she kept trimmed quite short, and he was an absolute joy to be around.

And, my goodness, what they are doing to the GSD is very sad, in my opinion.

I did not know PBGVs have such serious health problems. They and the Irish Wolfhounds are two of my favorite breeds, aside from Cairns, GSPs, and Min Pins. Well, add Spinone Italianos, Akitas, Glen of Imaal and Norwich terriers to that list, too. lol

And, please don't throw tomatoes, but I just love Dogo Argentinos. We have a club in our area, and they are breathtakingly beautiful dogs.

I was rooting for the Dalmation. What are the chances of having the spots situated perfectly around the eyes? Priceless.

I have to add my support to all those who had a negative reaction to the Peke. I am as baffled as everyone else!

I also find the grooming on such fine and handsome breeds as the standard poodles to be quite bizarre. Most of us know the justification for shaving the bodies and leaving clumps of hair, but I can't help suspecting that this might just be an ego trip on the part of the groomers... and did you notice what they've done to the heads!?

:soap:

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I didn't watch any of the coverage, but perused WKC's web site before and after the event.

I learned something interesting that the rest of you probably already knew..it really surprised me.

It seems there are a limited number of pups that are actually "invited" to the show.

(I guess everyone has to apply and cross their fingers.)

The Cairn who won best of breed, as it turns out, was one of the invitees.

I wonder how often that happens? :)

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Archived