CairnTalk

2012 Westminster

bradl

If you are wanting to be surprised and have the televised show be your first look at the Cairn breed winner, you'd best avoid the internet tomorrow. I long ago gave up hope of avoiding spoilers. While you wait for the Cairn judging or televised 5 seconds of Cairn coverage :P here are some links for WKC you may find useful:

Judging Schedule

Breed Entries (jump to Cairns)

Breed Results (Monday) and Breed Results (Tuesday - incl. Terriers)

Live stream and chat (of course you could always chat about it on forum Chat as well B))

Television Coverage info

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Is the Cairn judging today? What was the coverage last night and Sunday all about? I saw what I thought was the Terrier Group finals Sunday--what am I missing?

Cairns were judged today....it was actually streamed "live" on the web about 2 hrs ago. I am sure the video will also be up soon.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Tonight's telecast will include the terrier group, with the group winners from yesterday's groups coming back for Best in Show.

Breed video link will eventually appear in this list: http://www.westminst...x2.html#terrier

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

What did I see on Sunday then? There was a gorgeous Wheaten Cairn from Brazil that was shown with the other Terriers.

OK! Now I know--confusion over and I can get over my gut grinding about the German Sheperd winning the Working Group and hope for a less deformed best in group tonight!

I'm pleased--the Cairn winner was gorgeous and the handler used a slack lead! Yay, he could hold up his own head. Really a sharp, sharp dog with what appeared to be a great personality.

I think my favourite Cairn was the one who kept pulling on the leash. Clearly not best in show, but definitely spunky! I thought all the Cairns were quite cute. I also know little to nothing about competitions.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

At the end of the video feed (I just watched on the website) the handler of the dog that I think got an Award of Merit smacked the Cairn. What was that about?

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I know her and she wasn't smacking her..just a playful bump...she is a very small breeder....I am sure she did not mean it the way it looked...

You will be disappointed to learn that the herding group was last night and a GSD did indeed win it. A wire doxie won the hound group though, edging out one of my favorites, the PBGV.

I was considering getting a PBGV puppy...there is a breeder near me, but in the end got another Cairn baby...")

In addition to physical play with the dog, handlers sometimes 'bump' terriers off balance (with the lead, hand, or even with a foot) -- the dog's tendency is to 'square up' to reestablish a balanced stance, and focus on the handler. If the dog is well-constructed, this will be a nice stack.

You will be disappointed to learn that the herding group was last night and a GSD did indeed win it. A wire doxie won the hound group though, edging out one of my favorites, the PBGV.

I was considering getting a PBGV puppy...there is a breeder near me, but in the end got another Cairn baby...")

Glad you got a Cairn! A friend of mine got a PBGV puppy (from a top breeder) and is now blind at the age of 4. A not so uncommon problem with the breed as per my friends vet.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

The question for this morning is: How does a dog (?) that has legs you cannot see, a tail you cannot see, ears you cannot see, and a face you can barely see, that has to be carried around the ring, which looks like a robotic floor sweeper under a wig, win Best In Show over such magnificent creatures?

And the end I felt like some grand cynical joke had been played on me by the AKC--some obscene tragedy played out on the floor of Westminister while the crowd cheered! I had to look away thinking about all the expensive hopes and dreams of dog breeders, owners, and handlers were dashed with a sneer.

Another year and another "I shouldn't watch these things!"

Other than that, Good Morning Friends, it's great to see you again!

I so agree Idaho! When an animal can barely move, breath and see because someone thinks it looks "cute" in my opinion should be deemed as animal cruelty.

Recently I was at a horse clinic and the clinician made a great comment. "When knowledge ends, abuse starts". How true in so many things we do to animals to satisfy our own egos. Ok... well I will get off my soap box now :soap:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Also agree with Idaho the results left me empty. I did enjoy the cairn competition thou, they were fabulous. I have to say I think this forum has the best of the best and they are all winners in our eyes.

Yeah! I agree 100%.

I had just said, "Any one but the Pekingese," when the judge pronounced. I obviously don't understand something.

BTW, re the PBGV's, an acquaintance has had 3 and the first two died very young, the third has had her eyes removed and now seems to be terminal.

Seems a shame.

Yay for our cairns, you're right Hawkeye, they are all winners.

Couldn't agree more, Idaho. Listening to the radio this morning on my way to work the DJ was commenting that the Best in Show shouldn't even be called a dog. You couldn't engineer anything less dog-like than that ball of fluff. I feel sorry for the poor beast and sorry, too, for all the great "real" dogs who went home empty-pawed.

A friend and I were sending emails back and forth during the competition. She insisted the judge made a mistake and chose a caterpillar instead of a dog. I tend to agree..

I know her and she wasn't smacking her..just a playful bump...she is a very small breeder....I am sure she did not mean it the way it looked...

It didn't seem mean, and I wasn't accusing her of anything. I was just curious as to the purpose.

Tonight's telecast will include the terrier group, with the group winners from yesterday's groups coming back for Best in Show.

Breed video link will eventually appear in this list: http://www.westminst...x2.html#terrier

So disappointed I can't play this video. Stupid iPad! My laptop charger died.

But I'm going to take another view here. I saw the Pekingese on the news yesterday. I thought he was gorgeous! I like those dogs.

Archived