CairnTalk

Looking to Adopt Cairn Puppies in DE/ PA /NJ /MD /VA area

Kodycat

My husband and I recently lost our beloved Cairn, Kody. He was a beautiful wheaton with a huge heart and a wonderful personality who filled our home with activity and lots of love. We always felt that he was lonely after our daughters went off to college, and often wondered if we should have adopted his brother with him when he was a puppy. Now we are looking for a new Cairn puppy to love, and have decided that we want to adopt two brothers so they will always have each other to cuddle and play together.

We have a trip planned for late March, so we are hoping to bring our new boys home sometime in April or later. Please contact me if you have, or know anyone who has a litter that will be available this spring. We live in Wilmington, Delaware, but are willing to drive several hours or more if necessary to find the perfect match!

Thank you!

I'm so sorry on your loss and know only too well how empty a house can be without the constant "chit-chat" that a Cairn can have. I think it's wonderful that you are courageous enough to think about adopting siblings. I'm sure if you check on the home page there is a list of breeders, by state, that you can select from. Of course we would love to hear back from you and thoroughly enjoy hearing your journey and seeing pictures of the chosen pups. Best of luck!

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Sympathy on your loss of Kody. These dogs sure do take over our hearts, don't they?

Just a vote to suggest considering getting a single puppy now, raising it to at least adolescence (say, two years) and then adding that second pup. Most breeders I know would discourage (if not simply refuse) to place siblings, except in very unusual circumstances. I personally think it's more fair to both owner and puppy to take on one at a time until they are mostly developed and somewhat trained.

I think single Cairns do very, very well and no one should feel guilty about having only one if they are providing it an inclusive family life. Our first Cairn made it clear that she would actually have preferred to be an Only Dog. However as someone with four Cairns of varying ages, I'd be a hypocrite to suggest I don't think having two is a fine idea. :P

Just my opinions, nothing more. Good luck in any event.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I also recently lost my only cairn and know so well how empty your house feels. When DH went out of town for a few days last month, I realized it was the first time in *years* that I was home completely alone and it was a strange, sad feeling.

I'm currently on the prowl for a puppy and just want to tell you from experience that the folks here are true lovers of cairns and any advice they have for where you might find your next puppy love is worth looking in to.

I strongly recommend checking out the CTCA list of breeders. I looked up several local breeders about 2 weeks ago and have promising leads on puppies although I will caution you that April is very soon to find one. A dog that is in season right now won't have puppies ready for their forever homes till the end of june once you count the 12 weeks most breeders keep puppies.

FInally, look for posts by "Tracy A." in the forum archives. I recall several times that she's told the tales of bringing home Mett and Bratt together and what insanity ensued with two puppies at once.

• 8 months later...

One cairn terrier pup is a handful ....... :shock: .two cairn terrier pups...................... :devil::twisted:

Seriously, I think it could be hard to give two pups the attention each deserves. Also temperamentally one might tend to dominate the other.

It would be one at a time for me.............but it might not be the same for everyone.

Currently I have Angus, a 14 month old red brindle. He is as much as I can deal with at the moment. Maybe next year another (wish wish!)

Edited by Hillscreek

If I weren't still grieving over the loss of Lindy, I would debate this, but for now, I'll just read and contemplate the replies. I do appreciate the thoughtful comments. : :)

• Like 1

Like most rules of thumb, no one believes it's not possible, it's just the sort of thing that after having enough bad experiences, breeders often formulate a "hard line" to avoid problems. Same thing with age of placement, rules about fences, rules about age of children in the house etc.

The exception proves the rule, and all that. Naturally we are all above average :P

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I hope Kodycat finds another furbaby or two to love. Somewhere out there are two little bundles that will steal her heart.

Brad, I respect your comments and advice, but I hope to become an exception to the rule :halo: , beings I had to joy of being mom

and grandma, every week and all day, to both Lindy and Carolina, who were littermates, for more than the first half of their lives.