CairnTalk

New screen size

josie&holly

This new setup seems too wide for my computer - have lost half of status stuff on right of screen and do not seem to be able to bring it in to view?

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

May I ask what your screen size/resolution is?

Statistics vary depending on which analysis you look at, but the general trend seems to be fewer than 1% of browsers these days report resolution less than 1024. This layout with sidebar extended requires 995-1024 or so as a minimum, so should work for 99%. Maybe 97% if we go use data from a couple years ago.

http://www.w3schools...ers_display.asp

Update: the software authors report that 1024x768 is the intended design minimum for the software.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Holly's statement seems to be the 'clue' for me, too, the page seems to load too large--unless that's the intention of the new setup. This is the link I use to access the forum: http://www.cairnterrier.org/forum/index.phpHYPERLINK "javascript:void(0)/*294*/"? and the "recent status updates" (complete) panel takes up 1/3 of my screen, making the forum headings appear squashed beside it, and visually making it seem to "compete" with the forum headings list, while before, it was there, yet easily available but not visually competing. Previously I think the 'status' section took up 1/4 of the screen space, possibly only 1/5, kinda hard to remember compared to the vast spaces this setup appears to be while the "old" might have seemed 'too full' by comparison, since I was used to it :) When I click into a heading, that's where I get lots of white/blank real estate, as if the setup is too large a resolution. [i've checked several other various forums I use, and they're still "same old, same old" so don't think it's a bug in my computer.] Basically this new setup seems to override my screen settings that make my general viewing comfortable.

I'm all for changes to the advantage, and applaud those who do website setup and maintenance--and often discover changes that increase my ease-of-use & viewability on a site, even though it may take me a while to get used to them, but this is visually startling for me. It's enough that I've been trying to figure out specifically why I'm finding this disturbing, and real estate-wise it seems that the abundance of 'white space' causes a visual startle, with font sizes seeming overly large (granted, a sight-impaired person probably would love this). I think I may be seeing too many font size differences...

No idea if this is any help....might just be me, and I'll learn to live with it, or not, only time will tell for me.

[Win7prof, IE 8.07--9 does not play nice with some of my programs, yet. Screen res= 1440x900.]

Your screen res should be completely fine. I can only imagine what you are seeing (without a screenshot) but it sounds to me like a rendering issue.

If the screen were simply too small for the forum+sidebar it wouldn't really squish anything, it should just create scrolling or "cut off" the status pane. That's the main difference from the fully "liquid" layout of before. Before, if you used a resizing handle on the browser it would more or less shrink both the forum pane and the status pane in unison. In the most recent release, they've set a minimum width for each and once you resize below it, it simply covers up the status pane as you get smaller.

If it looks all zoomed and out of proportion I feel there must be something else (hopefully temporary) going on.

Can you try closing and reopening the sidebar? Any affect? (To close the sidebar, hover over the upper right corner - a black box with an 'x' will appear: click. To reopen the sidebar, hover in the same area and a black box with '>>' will appear: click.

Have you also tried deleting your browser cache?

Just for fun, have you tried a different browser? I used to prefer firefox but have come to prefer Chrome even more.

So anyway, if we're talking about something more than the edge of the display being cut off, you are seeing something that is broken or at least not as intended. The status pane really is (in my view) just an added feature and not really the point of the forum. Indeed when it first appeared I debated as to whether to display it all. I sort of like it now, though, and its definitely getting used, so I'm interested to resolve the issue eventually.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived