CairnTalk

_whits_

_whits_

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

• Like 3

IMG_2461.JPG

7642DC60-ABA9-47B4-8B1D-FB0243300BE9.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

• Like 2

IMG_3108.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

• Like 2

Addie and her first friend Toby. 

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_2903.JPG

• Like 1

Addie on her adoption day in 2011. 

IMG_2469.JPG

• Like 3

Now I feel less negligently out-of-date. 

• Like 2

I went back and really enjoyed watching her playing with the plastic bag and all the other pics. It hits home every time I see a history of a dog growing up how they become such an important and loving part of our lives. When I tell people I am so excited as we are on a waiting list for a Cairn, they say, "what another dog that will tie you down". My answer always is that I can't imagine my home without a terrier or two just for the sake of a vacation somewhere exotic. Canada is a huge country and I am happy to pack the furry four legged ones in our truck and explore our own back yard. Our hearts are  so melded with these creatures that a life without them would have a large empty space in it. Just love following Addie's journey in her life as I do so many others on this site.

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Amen Brad!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

• 3 weeks later...

Addie, her Grandma, and I went to an outdoor shopping mall (It was 59 degrees in Colorado today!) that allows dogs inside the stores. Here she is in the pet section of the local bookstore, reading up on Cairns. 

AddieTatteredCover.jpg

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 9

One does have to read up on ones background. Love this little dog.:wub:

• Like 2

Here Addie is:

- displaying her cat-like tendencies

- turning herself into a burrito in dirty sheets

- relaxing by the fire on a visit to Grandma

- indulging my re-watch of the original Star Wars trilogy. Addie doesn't pay attention to the TV unless it annoys her (she's particularly annoyed by soccer and Deadliest Catch, I think because of the beeps). But she was FASCINATED by Star Wars, especially whenever Chewie or the Ewoks were making noises. 

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

• Like 4

And here is the thank you I sent to my dear friend for a recent gift of a book. 

IMG_3694.JPG

• Like 3

The last photo impresses me the most because:

1)  It proves that some people still read books.  (Thank God!)

2)  It affirms my suspicion that Cairns are studying military tactics as a precedent to their world domination.

• Like 6

Angus says it may be an amazing military story but it was a retreat. A word he doesn't understand! I did chat to him about living to fight again another day but it fell on deaf ears! As an aside my great uncle was one of those taking a little boat out to bring the soldiers home.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

The last photo impresses me the most because:

1)  It proves that some people still read books.  (Thank God!)

2)  It affirms my suspicion that Cairns are studying military tactics as a precedent to their world domination.

I have a Kindle but I still prefer the feel of an actual book. Although I'm guilty of not reading nearly as much as I did when I was in school.

Studying WWII has been a passion of mine since I was 10 (I know, I started early). I studied civil wars in college and postgrad and worked in conflict resolution. Addie's been surrounded by it for years. I now realize that this might have been a mistake to teach her so much, but I have to hope Addie will let me participate in any Cairn revolution, at least as an advisor on historical precedent.

24 minutes ago, Hillscreek said:

Angus says it may be an amazing military story but it was a retreat. A word he doesn't understand! I did chat to him about living to fight again another day but it fell on deaf ears! As an aside my great uncle was one of those taking a little boat out to bring the soldiers home.

I've been trying to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the British role in WWII and my friend surprised me with a book on Dunkirk. I saw one of the last surviving little boats at the Imperial War Museum in London in 2015. That's amazing your great uncle was involved. 

I told Addie a bit about Dunkirk when the book arrived and explained that we need to know how to survive in the face of the impossible so we can fight another day. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 2