CairnTalk

Eastofeden

eastofeden

• 2 months later...

"Poppies...Poppies!  Poppies will put them to sleep!"  -Wicked Witch of the West

photo+%25282%2529.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Cairn & lupin in The Pastures of Heaven

photo+%25283%2529.JPG

• Like 2
Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Just one question. How did you train these animals to sit & down for so long a period? I knownthe answer is training, but what method?

It comes down to patience, consistency, practice and making the time.  Training is ongoing.  We go to classes at least once a week (maybe more if I am preparing for a show).  It is really the time spent...now I know I spend more time training my dogs than the average person...verging into "Crazy Dog Lady" territory.  But with a little effort anyone can have a well behaved dog that is a joy to live with.  As to methods, I have a whole toolbox that I use.  Mostly what is called positive training...but I am not opposed to using gentle corrections.  I also use a clicker depending on the behavior I am trying to teach.   

But beyond methods...it is the time and consistency.  If you are trying to get a sit stay for example..start with the dog directly in front of you and only ask them to hold the sit for a few seconds.  Once they understand what you want you eventually increase their distance from you and the amount of time you ask them to hold the sit.  Patience is key...I could not tell you how long it took for me to get a reliable stay from Izze when I first started training. Like most Cairns she is a bit ADD :devil:  Don't get frustrated, don't give up..don't get angry at the dog.

Keep it fun for the dog.  Keep it fun for you.  Focus on building a relationship with your dog.  Training is the best bond maker there is.  

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

883932_10200970177957227_1778537298_o%25

Izze Runs with the BIG Dogs.  A friend of mine caught this at the beach earlier this year.  

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

1380731_10201520232622098_1356041362_n.j

Greysen on a Grey Day at Lovers Point in Pacific Grove, CA

• Like 5

photo+%252811%2529.JPG

Izze & St. Johns Bridge  Portland, OR

• Like 5

I woke up this morning thinking about that picture of the Cairn running along side the Great Dane!  It is a wonderful image that speaks volumes about the spirit of the Cairn--I love it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Cairns at Trials End

005.JPG

• Like 2

Wagons Ho!

008.JPG

• Like 2

Home Sweet Home

018.JPG

• Like 3

I think I saw your car on our recent road trip!  Cairn sticker, CA license, Salinas bracket?  Think we were on the 205 but might have been the 5.  We drove up to Oregon for the fourth of July holiday.  The dogs loved the cooler weather.  Hope you are well.  The photos of your two are always a joy to see.

Edited by dianer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of the local pools closed their season today by allowing dogs to go swimming.  A few shots from todays fun..

013.JPG

033.JPG