CairnTalk

Searching the forum

saskcairn

Hello,

I'm a new member here and am planning to pick up a puppy in the next couple of months. I'm really interested in trying Search and Rescue with my cairn when he's trained and old enough, and I'm trying to do a search in the forum for any topics about doing SAR with cairns. However, when I punch "Search and Rescue" into the search box, it tells me:

"One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords"

it gives me the same warning when I try "SAR" and a search for "Search" and "Rescue" bring lots of results, but none of them are what I'm looking for. I'm stumped on how to find the threads with Search and Rescue info in them, hoping somebody might be able to help?

Thanks!

Searching is an art form, no doubt!

For the built-in search, once you get the message about words like "and" not being searchable (fewer than four letters, just like SAR), I just go ahead and delete the 'and' from the search terms and hit search again. Among other topics, one of the first ones listed is "Can a Cairn be trained as a service dog?" which includes a post from SARpartner who has a SAR certified Cairn.

To be honest though, I almost always use Google to search the site, rather than the built-in search:

Google: "search and rescue" site:cairnterrier.org <-- click

Google indexes Cairn Talk *constantly* so results are typically pretty good and I use Google so much it's just more familiar to me.

Here's how to use google to search Cairn Talk (well actually, the entire public CTCA site:) : in a google search form (either in your browser, or from the google.com page itself) enter your search terms, followed by site:cairnterrier.org - if I search for this:

"search and rescue" site:cairnterrier.org

You'll likely get more of the types of results you're looking for. Do realize that there isn't going to be a lot of information as there are not many SAR Cairns around. But you can at least find posts with your search terms.

Hope that helps! Looking forward to meeting your future Cairn :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived