CairnTalk

2011 Westminster

bradl

Awww, that little Norfolk was so cute!

I keep telling my boys that their show is on, but they don't seem to care.

Since a Cairn's not in best in show, I'll root for the deer hound. Such an ancient-looking scruffy face.

Interestingly, the handler that did the breed handling did not show the dog in the Terrier group. Watching this is fun--trying to keep Cairns going in the right direction is as difficult for these pros as it is for me! Love it.

I believe it was Gabriel both times.

You're so right that it's reassuring to see the pros have to deal with some rambunctious behavior just like us amateurs. The well-trained and ring-wise dogs make a pretty picture and make it easier to see things like proportion and movement, but it always makes me smile when a dog's true character leaks out. :lol:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

The Cairns were a rambunctious group, all right! It looked like each of them wanted to do something far more interesting than prance back and forth for the judge. (Can't say I blame them - the ring would have been perfect for zoomies. :whistle: ) What gorgeous dogs, though!

I was happy with the Best in Show winner. About time a Deerhound won!

My thoughts exactly!! I loved how the Cairns all marched along with their tails wagging and indicating to their handlers, but I want to go *that* way.

Thanks so much for the video! Missed the show this year- getting ready for neutering surgery yesterday. Loved, loved the Cairns. You could see it in their face: I better get a really good treat for behaving & being beautiful. Is it just me or did all those Cairns seem rather tall? It looked like their legs were longer than what I'm accustomed to seeing. They sure were wonderful looking, though, & it was nice to see that great Cairn personality shining through!

For the most part the dogs were strung up on very tight leads. The best down and back on a loose lead was the breed winner! She showed beautifully.

From the Cairn Terrier Standard: Should move freely and easily on a loose lead, should not cringe on being handled, should stand up on their toes and show with marked terrier characteristics.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Thanks Brad for posting the video. They are all great looking Cairns (and I'm sure pretty much everyone on this forum thought that their dog was just as good looking - cause I sure do) Love the variety of colors.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Greg, I was thinking the same thing about the leads. :thumbsup: After watching all the tight leads go by....I thought perhaps I was incorrect in my understanding of the standard.

Since my passion is more performance/companion events it just makes me cringe everytime I see tight leads like that :ermm:

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

It seems like all the handlers use these tight leads tho--I certainly don't like it and in some breeds it gives a false look at how the dog carries itself. I thought the winning terrier--the Fox, was going to be strangled. I guess it is simply another affectation that so many breeders and handlers have developed over the years, like ridiculous hair cuts for poodles (a dog that deserves more respect), silly hair bands in Shih Tzu's, the puffy look of the Westies, and the evil and ruinous slope to the hindquarters of the magnificent German Shepard. I'm sort of glad that the lumbering Wolfhound that won didn't have to endure the strangling leash--the handler couldn't have reached that high.

I can't see why these dogs can't be taught to heel and stay on command and let all the rough ends drag as they might--the true "look" of the breeds would eventually will out and we all know that Cairns naturally carry their heads and tails high in the normal run of things.

Little devils! All but one that I saw, upon being put down off the show stand, shook out their hair--defeating all the previous attempts of the handlers to do last minute grooming. You just have to appreciate that kind of resistance to disciplined uniformity.

At least I didn't see any Westie skirts this year! The grooming didn't seem too terribly tight, either. They're really supposed to be a "scruffy" breed. At least one of the boys had HUGE, formed head furnishings. Wonder how much butch wax was used :whistle:

@IdahoCairns, yes they pretty much all shake it out when they come off the table. Fun to watch!

Heck, these guys are at their best coming out of a muddy earthdog tunnel, anyway.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

• 1 month later...

I admire your patience Brad - I was on the phone with Geoff as soon as possible to find out results (I couldn't even wait for the computer to update it).

It's unfortunate seeing the amound of Cairns strung up, but it's not all that uncommon in our breed ring. I don't mind showing puppies on a tighter lead since they're just learning, but I definitely feel like a special should be able to walk on a loose lead.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

Archived