CairnTalk

Autumn Nights

cupcake

Hi Everyone

Sorry haven't posted anything for a while - hope everyone had a good summer.

Just wanted to check if anyone else had noticed their dogs not wanting to go out of an evening. Now that the nights are drawing in Lucy is really reluctant to go out - she barks at the door as if she's wanting to go - and then back tracks whenever the door's opened.

It can't be fireworks as there are none going off yet - but any thoughts would be much appreciated?

Nice to see you back - hope things are easier now, but no the dark evenings do not stop Holly from wanting to go out - either for a wee or an inspection of the garden! She is convinced that she find a creature under one of the bushes and always makes for that in evenings but does not bother with any other plants!

But if it is raining then she is reluctant to go out and would prefer that I leave the door open for her so that she can survey the garden from just inside!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Here where I live, the evenings are really getting crisp and the dogs seem to thrive on the change. Our older girl will try, if we let her, to spend an hour or so sitting on the back deck, listening to the night sounds around our place. It really is quite a sight watching her commune with whatever nature that fascinates her. We live up on a hill and there is always something going on down below us. The mule deer are quite active now and travel just below our place so that always keeps the dogs' interests peaked. Fortunately the skunks were not numerous this year--hope they stay away.

I have no idea what might be effecting your dog--ours seem to enjoy the cooler weather and have never really had much of a problem with either the dark or the temperature. As quirky as Cairns are, who knows? Everyone of them seems to have a unique personality wrapped in a set of universal characteristics.

Does Lucy show any hesitance about going out during the day or does this only happen at night? Any chance that a critter has set up his winter den in your yard? Strange . . . :confused1:

Thanks Josie,Things are a little easier now.I havn't noticed Lucy reacting any differently during the day,but will watch for any reaction over next few days.My only explaination is-Last year leading upto Bonfire Night with all the Fireworks going off Lucy was so scared she refused to go out at night and I'm now wondering if she remembers and associates the dark nights with the fireworks (if that makes sense please let me know what you think)

Like the Idaho Cairns, we are having great crisp fall weather. Dempsy loves it and is very excited about going out. The horse and the cows love it also - so a nice fall makes everybody happy.

I hate leaving Demps in the outdoor kennel all day, but he is happy to see me at night. The kennel is huge, so it's not like he doesn't have things to do, but he likes being around people. :confused: He gets a little bored. Another strong couple of weeks of corn harvest and things will be back to normal.

Hope you're all having a nice fall!

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Maybe she is smelling fire and it scares her? Are people using their fireplaces yet? I know I started this week. Buckley gets anxious in the house something I cook smokes up the house.

Archived