CairnTalk

Not sure what is going on with Dixie!

Dixieandme

Dixie is such a sweet girl most of the time but now when I head to bed and tell her nite, nite she goes and gets in her crate and and when I go to pet her and tell her good-nite she growls at me and when I go to rub her head she will get nasty ........ This is the only time she is nasty ....................She is only 1 1/2 years old and it is concerning to my husband and me.... ......Dixie is so devoted to me except at nite time..............What's up with her? I don't want her to get old and cranky, she is our baby!!!!!

Yes it is fairly new, she has had her check-up and shots.............it's almost like I feel when I go to bed and the phone rings and I get a little fussy. If she is still on the sofa I can kiss and hug her but not if she runs and gets in her bed, it's like she doesn't want to be bothered! It's like she is saying ok, go on the bed and leave me along...........she is usually a sweetheart...... Last nite when I said goodnight she ran and got in bed and when I went to pet her she snaps at me!!! What's up?

Is Dixie spayed? It might also not hurt to have your vet take a look at her ears to make sure she doesn't have an ear infection. If there's no physical reason, then I would consult a trainer. Dogs can be possessive of what they consider to be their dens.

Yes she has been spayed and I will get the vet to check her ears ......we go out of town this week-end and she will be boarded , I'll make sure she gets checked out........thanks for the comments , we are really concerned!

Idaho Cairns

I have noticed that my young dog really is possessive of her crate--if the older dog comes near it at night while she is in it, she give a warning growl. She has also growled at my wife and I a couple of times if we tried to reach in. I am not too concerned because this is the only scenario where this happens--I kinda feel like this is her little world and she wants to protect it from intruders--it is a minor thing, sort of quirky, no problem.

We dont crate Jock at all but there are times in the evening when he is falling alseep on our bed and I reach over to scratch his head, that I get a rumbly... dont annoy me I am falling asleep now growl. Our Scottish terrier, who had the mildest and sweetess nature of any dog we have ever owned, would growl like a grizzly if you accidently poked her with your foot on the bed at night prior to falling asleep. We just ignored her and I ignore Jocks occasional dont bug me growl also. Now snapping is a different story, that to me is totally unacceptable.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Dempsy and I go to bed before Jim. We get along just fine but the minute that Jim comes up the steps he is in growl mode. His little body tenses up, Jim reaches over to scratch his head and he growls - no snapping. Sounds nasty, but I think it is a game for him. Once Jim is in bed he is fine. If he has a bone in bed? - Demps and I can be sleeping or just playing and then he hears Jim and he runs over to grab his bone and pretends that he was eating it when Jim comes in and he growls. He likes having an excuse to growl. Yes, it is a game for Demps. A couple of times he has refused to come upstairs and went to his crate and I just shut his door and let him have his time. I hope you find out what Dixie is thinking. Dempsy is a year and a half.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Thanks everyone I bet it because she is in her crate which she loves, when I give her a special treat she always runs in her crate to enjoy it..I'll still mention this to her vet and see what he says. I guess we all get fussy at times but the other nite she did snap at me which is a big no,no..

I agree that snapping at you isn't an option.

Tanner will often fall asleep on the couch before I'm ready for bed & when I go to pick him up to take him to bed, he gets very growly. We call it being "snarly" at our house. He doesn't snap or bite at me, he just lets me know he doesn't appreciate being moved in his sleep. Once in bed, he'll ocassionally snarl at me if I move & hit him or something, but again, no biting...b/c biting is unacceptable. Can't say that I blame him for growling due to interrupted sleep, though...he might just have leared it from me~the alarm clock is on the receiving end of many growls on my part. :whistle:

Becky & Tanner

I totally agree with the others. Murphy loves, loves, did I mention LOVES :wub: his crate. If that crate is moved anywhere, he will go nutty making sure it's not leaving without him.

He's never growled though, and there have been times when he's sacked out we'd have to drag him from his sweet dreams.

The snapping is no no, and we've only dealt with this in very few instances. It results in a stern reprimand, time out, and then the ultimate punishment for a Cairn is ignoring him. He changes that 'tude real quick when he's ignored.

Hi everyone. I am new and have been lurking and reading on here since I acquired my cairn pup about 4 months ago. I have had some good success in breaking a behavior I don't want by getting ahead of it.

Might try this. Keep her crate door shut. When you say goodnight she runs to the crate but can't get in UNTIL you have to open it for her. Make her let you pet her and give her good night kisses THEN she is rewarded by letting he go into her crate when you open the door. when she is in it try petting her again if she growls MAKE HER get out of it and close the door.

do this several times until the behavior stops. if not, then sleeping on the floor a night or two with access to her favorite spot (ie..crate) shut should get the point across. You control her privileges and environment, not her.

just a suggestion that might help break a bad habit before it gets too ingrained.

Hi everyone. I am new and have been lurking and reading on here since I acquired my cairn pup about 4 months ago. I have had some good success in breaking a behavior I don't want by getting ahead of it.

Might try this. Keep her crate door shut. When you say goodnight she runs to the crate but can't get in UNTIL you have to open it for her. Make her let you pet her and give her good night kisses THEN she is rewarded by letting he go into her crate when you open the door. when she is in it try petting her again if she growls MAKE HER get out of it and close the door.

do this several times until the behavior stops. if not, then sleeping on the floor a night or two with access to her favorite spot (ie..crate) shut should get the point across. You control her privileges and environment, not her.

just a suggestion that might help break a bad habit before it gets too ingrained.

A great suggestion, and so simple! (Of course, Cairns have a way of complicating things. Buffy would probably figure out how to open the crate herself. :whistle: )

Idaho Cairns

Yes, I like 2timesover's suggestion as well--conditioning the dog at exactly the right time. Certainly worth a try. Interesting to note how many of us have "growly" Cairns. Our little one has always growled when picked up--sounds very nasty but she never attempts to bite.

Cairns are funny about rest--we've had a couple that had to be approached carefully when sleeping. We are used to the behavior and see it as part of the program and no one has been bitten by any of the Cairns. I suppose it is just part of the terrier in them that sometimes causes the reaction.

In the meantime, I won't try to stop my dog's possessiveness of the crate--putting human motivation on her, I simply agree that every creature, big or small should have a private place, a retreat where they can go and be completely comfortable and if it takes a growl or two to maintain, what the heck. I'm not and never have been the most pleasant pup on the planet when I get roused out of a sleep--why should my dogs be different??

Thanks for the thumbsup. I tend to "parent" my pup like I do my grandchildren. I have a granddaughter that can get really possessive/obsessive playing computer games. Once she starts getting a little to sassy and begins throwing a fit when its time to get off - she gets a quick reminder she is not in charge, I am and gets her playing previlidges taken away. She usually straightens right up from there on out.

I agree that dogs need a safe place they feel is their own, but just as kids need that feeling for their own space -ie... their room - they don't own that room, I do, and I control the behaviour that takes place in it. they can do whatever they wish in there to unwind, but I won't tolerate disrepect of property or person from them.

just sort of my philosphy and seems to work with the pack instict of dogs - She is an alpha female out of the litter but she is completely submissive (so far) and responds well to rewards or discipline. My discipline is a sharp tone and an empty paper towel tube that certainly makes a lot of noice when wacked against a table or lightly popped on her bottom.

In speaking of that, I have had to "educate" my grandkids to respect Raven and her need for time away from them. number one rule is never corner her or crawl in her crate with her.

She simply adores the kids. I know part of that is she has never had a bad experience with them as I keep a keen eye on them when they play with her and teach them how to treat her as a family member.

if she runs and gets in her bed, it's like she doesn't want to be bothered! It's like she is saying ok, go on the bed and leave me along...........she is usually a sweetheart......

Very good idea about keeping the door shut , I'll try that..................Dixie never gets upset to be loved except at nite in her crate, it's like her security blanket!!!

Archived