CairnTalk

The Dog Show with Jazz

bradl

This looks to be a local TV show in the Twin Cities area. The current episode features a Spotlight segment on the Cairn Terrier. Cairn segment starts at about 11:25.

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/AYHIiUsC" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Brad,you are fortunate to have a local show as professional and complete as this one. This was an especially nice section on Cairns--so often the breed is shown running around and barking their heads off (I'm thinking of one on U-tube where some gal in California has three in a backyard that never stop yapping--poor neighbors!), this breeder presents a much more realistic example of what these dogs are like. I enjoyed this show--wish we had something similar in this area.

nice segment, thanks for sharing! I actually learned something new from it; I never knew that the tail as only supposed to be pulled on the horizontal. Also, the display dog was a great example of ear grooming, one of my weak points because I always overstrip the head furnishings around the ear.

One question...was it just me or was she switching back from the monosyllabic pronunciation (correct according to Merriam Webster) to a two syllable "care-in" pronunciation?

A lot of folks do sort of stretch out the syllable from time to time. I admit I routinely lift them by their tails in a vertical direction to put them on a table or whatever, but I take her point in terms of extraction from a hole.

Funny (?) story. I was once using Haggis to demonstrate that nose-to-butt thing, and as soon as I was done he promptly vomited. :P It was undoubtedly a one-off event, but I sure think twice about how long ago a dog ate before I try it these days.

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

I think the two syllable Cairn pronunciation is a female thing. My wife just can't seem to do the one syllable "Cairn" and uses "Karen"--of course she watched the clip and I got the old snake eye when this breeder did the two syllable pronunciation. I have to admit I have never heard the horizontal tail thing--that was new and I have no reason to doubt the matter but since you can't pull the dog out of a hole by pulling the tail vertically it's not a problem. I normally belly lift mine anyway.

This was a great segment and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you Brad.

Idaho Cairns, I'm female and I say Cairn as one syllable. My husband (who has a Southern accent) had a hard time pronouncing it as one syllable. For a long time he said, "Cay-urn". :D

Heh. Language and accents are fascinating. Surely some latitude must be allowed for accents. I was originally going to make some feeble joke about a Minnesota accent, but frankly I thought the accents were pretty light in the clip. Not really sure what "Cairn" sounds like on The Range :P

I think extending or turning the middle "A-I-R" into two syllables is less jarring than creating an extra syllable at the end, "Care-EN." Karn is right out. :lol:

But the host said "lack of stubbornness". Where did she ever get that idea?

I thought I heard her say those words but then thought "Oh heck no, someone that is familiar with Cairns would NEVER say that!" Maybe we ought to find her kennel and witness some of these cooperative little Cairns! I didn't see a lot of "Oh, whatever." in the eyes of that wonderful black she was handling--that dog had some real sparkle to it.

It was nice to see Patty and her dogs :) Minnesota is often my stomping grounds for shows

Brad, I agree...on rare occasions I will pull the tail in a vertical manner. I believe if done carefully and in a proper manner, no harm comes to the dogs. While lifting them on the table I prefer to use under the neck/between the back legs

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

Patty definitely did say "lack of stubborness". I immediately thought, "What the...?" But my assumption is she mis-spoke, which I guess can happen when one is on camera. Not really a big deal... except to us long-suffering Cairn owners!

Jazz is an amazing looking dog. Does anyone know what his breed is, or if he's a mix?

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Well, I thought I would watch this but I turned the sound on........... and guess what my Cairn was fast asleep in her bed beside table but thought she would like to "sing" along with the music and then that changed to barking!

I can never watch anything on my computer that has sound without her joining in! so will wait until I am at friends house and then I might get to look and hear it. The bit I watched withoiut sound looked interesting.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I laughed out loud at the lack of stubborness comment. My husband and I just looked at each other and smiled.

Archived